Quiet Helmet That Goes Well With Bonnies

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by zsguerreiro, Oct 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zsguerreiro

zsguerreiro New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Portugal - Algarve
    Hi guys, pretty new to "big bikes", coming from a 125cc to a T100.
    Currently still curving very slowly(hopefully will get better at it) and highways aren't a place where I feel comfortable on, high speed(usually I go to 65-70mph) and noise and other high speed vehicles stress me up. From what I've found online its pretty normal(well either that or I'm a wuss).
    Now, I have a roof boxxer carbon as a helmet and while its fine on other roads its incredibly noisy on the highway even at speeds around 50mph. Just wondering what helmets you'de recommend that are quiet for my type of bike. I'm 5"8 if that is any interest...

Many thans in advance for your input! Oh, and any other advices you think might be helpful, feel free to share!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ear plugs?:p

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. zsguerreiro

zsguerreiro New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Portugal - Algarve
    I guess that would be an option but I'm hoping there are other helmets out there who are quiet enough for what I do with the bike..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Winter Shoei RYD quiet, understated and works well for me at least

Summer Shoei Ex-Zero, less quiet but as close as you get to open faced without being open faced

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I currently have a cheapo viper helmet which is very noisy (but I find it very comfortable and very pleasing to the eye) whilst before that one I had an £220 AGV which was very quiet, ergo the helmet does make a difference, but perhaps ear plugs as already suggested might work, personally I can't stand them, but that's just me

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ear plugs. Because they’re worth it!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Zsguerreiro.
    Welcome to the family if I haven't said it before. Do drop us a picture of the steed by hitting the upload a file button bottom right. Most helmets are going to attract wind noise no mattes how good or expensive they are. Ear plugs help but won't eliminate wind noise totally. You just get used to it. And plugs do help from damaging the inner ear. I sometimes hate it as I listen to maps which is controlled by google and even full volume you can't hear anything.
    Regards & Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I don't know about differences between brands, but notice my Arai Access 3 is quieter when I pull the chin guard down when putting it on (better vision as well so probably where it should sit) and if I tilt my head slightly forward it is also quieter. I suspect a skirt on the chin guard would make a big difference to my bottom of range helmet but it didn't come with one and there isn't an aftermarket option.

I like the Senner ear plugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I've found the flip style helmets to be the quietest. I think they have a smaller opening as you don't need to squeeze your head through it. Personally like Schubert helmets. Currently on my third.

Bought a really nice face open helmet for summer riding when I had a bonnie. Although earplugs were a must with that style of lid. Find I don't need earplugs wearing my Schubert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My Shoei GT Air is relatively quiet compared to my previous Arai's. Seems to be a common rating that Shoei are quiet, but Schuberth are recon to be the quietest.
    But ear plugs really are a recommended. You are doing damage to your hearing every time you ride, and as someone who has hearing difficulties, I wouldn't ride without them (In my good ear :p).

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Shark VisionR. Pretty quiet but better is that it has the best vertical port so that i don't gat a neck ache. Peripheral is great also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. John Ryan

John Ryan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    Another for shoei, oh yeah..and ear plugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I find all helmet's are quiet ! It the riding that makes all the noise !! If you find a noisy one , don't listen , it will be talking shit ,, especially if it's trying to tell you how much more you're going to like it once it's on your head and had it's mouth filled with your neck . . . . lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. zsguerreiro

zsguerreiro New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Portugal - Algarve
    Well,
    At the moment I'm looking at shoei ryd or shark vision r, schuberth c3 pro, shark spartan carbon.. All pretty much the same price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #15 Sandi T, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    I'm with @MrOrange. Even if you get a great helmet that is quiet as helmets go, add a good pair of ear plugs to that. The ones I've landed on that work great for me are called Ear Peace. You can Google the company to read about them and they're available on Amazon. If I recall correctly, they cost about $30 US and they come with a little metal carrier tube that I clip to a belt look. Ear Peace makes different ear plugs for different environments and I use the ear plugs designed for motorsports with the black filters. I also bought a pair that's designed for music / concerts that I take to motorcycle rally where we'll be listening to live music. I use ear plugs every ride now and wish I'd started doing that the day I started riding motorcycles.

I own several full face helmet brands--Bell, Shoei, and Schuberth. Overall I'd say that my Schuberth (C3Pro) is the quietest among them with the Shoei (RF-1200) coming in second. I used to have a Shoei GT Air and found it to be pretty quiet, too, but I can't speak to the new GT Air model that came out recently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    zsguerreiro, I replied to MrOrange's post related to ear plus and helmets. But here I am again to say welcome to the forum! And to the wonderful world of Triumphs. :) You will definitely get better at "curving" with practice. And over time as you continue to ride on highways you will start to feel more comfortable Little by little and ride by ride those things come around and comfort and confidence levels increase. Good luck and have fun!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    My Schubert’s c3pro is the quietest.. had 2 of them and I noticed the difference compared to previous Schuberth s2 and a Shark full face. My most comfortable is my open face Shoei J Cruise which with ear plugs works very well (the plugs actually improve the exhaust note) . However I’ve a fly screen on my Street Scrambler which deflects the wind blast up under my chin on the Schuberth helmet making it more noisy even with ear plugs. I have to wear a neck warmer up over my chin to reduce this. Not a prob with the Shoei. If your Bonnie hasn’t a screen the Schuberth should be good. Word of warning... I got tinnitus 5 years ago riding a Tiger 800 with the ‘useless’ Triumph windscreen directing the wind blast directly at my helmet. I only rode for less than an hour at 60-70 mph No ear plugs worn and suffer every day since. I think wind blast is far more dangerous to your hearing than loud noise as I am a drummer and have played with very loud bands over the years with no hearing problems... I now always wear ear plugs on my bike.. the ones specially moulded for my ears and with the specific noise reduction for bikes incorporated. Does nothing for my tinnitus but hopefully preventing it getting worse. Wear ear plugs as tinnitus isn’t nice to live with ☹️

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. zsguerreiro

zsguerreiro New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Portugal - Algarve
    Thanks Sandi! I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. zsguerreiro

zsguerreiro New Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Portugal - Algarve
    I bought the schuberth c3 pro, still waiting for it. I do have a windshield from Puig, at this point I still dont know if improves or makes my trips worse. Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to buy some earplugs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hope you like the C3Pro, zsquerrerio! Windshields are a bit of a crap shoot. I've found they really do need to be just the right dimensions to do the trick. They can sometimes even make things worse if they aren't the right dimensions. I do recommend earplugs. I've found that even a full-face helmet and a windshield don't solve the issues of hearing issues/loss due to prolonged wind noise.There's research indicating that it's the wind noise and not the noise from the bike's engine and/or exhaust that are the problem. Let us know how you like the helmet!

• Agree Agree x 2