765 Quickshifter

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by PH1969, Oct 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Morning all.

Anyone with a 2020 on STRS experienced any issues with the quickshifter?
    I had several incidents yesterday when changing down from 3 to 2 it went straight in N which leaves you in a bit of a mess mid corner.
    No issues at all on any upshifts and no issues downshifting through any gears except 3 to 2. Can the sensitivity be adjusted?

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It's non adjustable unfortunately.
    Just done 3 days on track on mine, not a missed shift the whole time, it definitely shifts better at race revs and chain tension has an effect as well.
    The only thing I've done to mine is fit one of the gear shaft support things.

3. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    All my shifts were on track so flat out going up and shut throttle and on the brakes going down.
    It's under warranty so will probably take it back before I change the rearsets

4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi PH1969, the quickshifter is normally faultless on these, both upshifts and downshifts, chain tension plays a pivotal role as someone else pointed out, also the front sprocket cover will undoubtedly be full of chain lube, grit and small stones (many people ignore the cleaning of this), and it makes a huge difference to a smoother chain run, however given it must now be 12 months old I would suggest disconnecting the linkage front and rear, clean up the ball pins and very lightly re grease them and then re assemble, you would be surprised at how much crud gets in), you can adjust any free play out there may be, a very quick easy job. Also make sure the clutch cable has the correct adjustment. I would not mention that you have taken your machine on track (unless specifically asked, personally if asked I would be truthful) however that's a matter for yourself. These are fairly simple things to try first. Rid esafe all.

5. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Ok so the bike is 6 months old and has 700 miles on the clock. The original post just qualified the model of the bike 2020 on and not the previous model which only had an upshift facility.
    Why would it only have a fault on the 3 to 2 change and not the others is the chain was out of tension?

6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Now this may sound a little silly, however when adjusting chain tension most go by the indentations on the swing arm, these can be different side to side, the best way is to use a Vernier gauge, these are accurate to within a thousand of an inch, not that you need that close a tolerance for the chain adjustment, it will however give you true alignment. A clue for me is that you say the machine has only covered 700 miles, the first 500 running in miles are pivotal in ensuring everything bedding in, the next 500 and you can increase significantly the engine revs until around a thousand miles, by then everything has bedded in correctly. I know there is a body of people and views who advocate (ride it like you stole it from day one), this is not very sound advice, correct running in is essential, given you say you were "flat out" in parts of the track, around 140 mph, and the machine is not really run in at that mileage it may well ease with more miles covered.

7. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    You're right, it does sound silly.
    I'm going to book it in with Triumph and see what they make of it. Nothing I have done has voided the warranty, this is my 3rd RS and they have all been used the same and I've never had warranty issues.

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi PH 1969, bear in mind Triumph can download the data from the EMS, it has all the information regarding how the machine has been ridden, other forum members and myself wrote some lengthy posts on this very subject some time back, the EMS works a little like the hard drive on your computer, you can delete all files and information on your computer, however what you can't do (unless you have military grade software for encryption and shredding) almost everything can be recovered. In essence what I am diplomatically saying is the circumstances you describe in your original post, if mentioned to your dealer it could potentially affect the warranty. Personally I don't use my road bikes for track days, (supertwin race bike), heaven forbid if anything should happen you are unable to make an insurance claim, the first thing an insurance company now ask is "where did the accident occur and what speed were you riding at, they then download google maps", they look at the speed limit on the said road, (truth over fiction) soon becomes clear. Triumph are excellent with warranty issues, given it is only an apparent quickshifter issue they should not hopefully delve further in. Hope you get it sorted.