Quickshifter

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MattP, Oct 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    #41 neilb, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    This is so bloody frustrating! Once again, everything slows done because of a connector. I’ve located the quickshifter plug in the depths below the tank, but can I remove it from its location. It’s obviously got a plastic one-way plug that pushes into a hole, but groping below, my fingers do not have the strength to pull the connector free. Having a break and then try again.

Edit: 5 mins later, a bit more pulling and wiggling and it popped off. Turns out it's just two snap ons on the side of the connector plug holding it down.

IMG_20191021_125627.jpg

Now to get down to the, hopefully, straightforward task of fitting the unit. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    I feel your pain! Bloody connectors :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    So, the quickshifter is now fitted and works very well. For someone who has never used one before, within an hour the shifts were becoming seamless, once I’d got into being very positive with shifting the lever and not closing the throttle off. By the end of the ride I was doing very smooth up shifts from as little as 3000rpm.

As for the fitting, it was a bit fiddly at times and not quite as Triumph Instructions stated. But, all the little problems were easily overcome (finding and removing the harness connector was a pain, as with the heated grips), with the exception of one. I fail to see how the spring clip can be inserted into the front ball joint as the “business end” of the new gear rod is in the way. I think it’s most unlikely to separate given that there is virtually no movement of the rod in the direction of separation. If anyone knows better, perhaps they would advise.

I’ve just got a pair of black foot pegs to pop on and I think that’s it for the time being.....I’m sure I’ll find some more bits to add in the future though!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there! Great news and thanks for the info!
    Not sure if this is true or not (and I hope someone will obviously help ) but I think there is some sort of “learning “ involved?
    Eg, you have to get to a certain rpm for a certain distance etc?
    No idea if that’s right or not but worth a look?
    Especially because I’m thinking of one and you can take one for the team!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    The clip on the front ball joint is inserted from the front and then pushes round just behind the flat bit to secure it. I had a lot more trouble getting the back one on, eventually taking the footpeg and lever assembly off to get to it. Everything is a bit tight!

6. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    Ahah, you know I didn’t look to see if the drilled hole for the clip went all the way through to the front. I just tried to put it on the way it came off the old rod. I’ll go in to the garage now and take a look. The back clip went in in a matter of seconds. Thanks, MattP

7. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    All sorted now. Thanks, MattP

• Like Like x 1
  8. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    No worries Neil, glad I could help

9. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    I found this on the Triumph instructions site:
    Speed Triple S from VIN 867685, Speed Triple RS
    Note:
    • The correct engine calibration must be downloaded to the motorcycle ECU prior to starting the engine. This information can be found on the 'Triumph Online' dealer web site.
    28. Connect the Triumph Diagnostic Tool and download the correct engine calibration with the Quickshifter enabled to the ECU following the procedure on the 'Triumph Online' dealer web site.
    29. Fully shut down the motorcycle, then switch the ignition back on.
    30. Enable the Quickshifter on the instrument panel, as described in the Service Manual.
    31. Ride the motorcycle for 10 seconds in each
    gear. The instruments will display a ’Transmission Warning’ message until the gear positions are adapted.

Hope it helps :)

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Not something I’ve seen yet. I would hope that would have been done at the factory when the quickshifter is installed on the bike. But at this point I’d believe anything is possible.

11. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    Sorry SteveRS,
    I wasn't being clear, those are instructions to fit the shifter if you buy an aftermarket one. I'm sure that if it comes fitted, all that will have been done at the factory as you say.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    You would hope so wouldn’t you, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Warm(er) here today so I went out to see how the new quickshifter was. Very good is the answer. It is almost seamless all the way from second to sixth, shifting better the higher the revs and the more throttle is on. It is far better than the standard one I had on my Yamaha MT09. Very pleased with the result and nothing fell off, so I'm guessing I fitted it correctly!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    I’ve been putting in the miles with my new QS and very impressed with it I am. 2nd to 3rd can be a bit clunky at times but all the other changes are as smooth as silk. I must remember not to go 1st to 2nd as per the instructions......the bike most definitely doesn’t like that. It’s just great for when you want to make rapid progress. I’m loving it. For £99, a bargain!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s awesome. They certainly can be a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    I know I should've looked in this forum before installing the QS, spent an hour finding the connector then another hour trying to figure out if it was right and how the hell it should fit....took the 2 rubber plugs out just to later realize the whole top comes off.
    The speedy isn't really to mechanical friendly sometimes.

But...now when its FINALLY on....its flippin great fun...

Thanks for sharing the pic.

• Like Like x 2