Quickshifter Problem!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Glad you got it back Steve! Sounds great with the baffles out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It's taken until now to get a response, but (as posted on one of the other QS threads) I've received an emailed reply from my dealership, stating that Triumph UK are "currently investigating this issue" and I'll be informed if and when a fix is made available.

I was hoping for more, given that we know the part exists and has been fitted to a number of bikes in different countries.

Bearing in mind that I'm looking for prevention against potential gearbox damage, I can now contact Triumph After Sales directly (as I've been through the required process of first approaching my dealer) and I'll ask for a 'preventative warranty fix', supporting my case with the photo evidence of the part, together with the added information that other UK dealers have fitted the part.

As far as I know, it's just the modified gear shift arm with increased clearance that's needed...right?

3. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I would think the shift arm could have small bevel filed in it at dealers to give a little clearance wher it touches the sensor. picture you showed me of the factory machined arm has a massive cut out on it.
    I would be inclined to get out either a round or half round file and take some ally off where it was touching to sort it out.

4. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Yes its the shift arm you need (no part number yet as it was a sort of trial part, think mine was the first)

theres a but, im also getting the quickshifter unit replaced next saturday, the service guy couldnt say the old arm hadn't damaged the switch, so hes just gunna replace it anyway.
    He also said run it like that "anymore problems" bring it back and we'll look further into it, "i want the bike right for you". Goes to show you some dealers are like night and day when it comes to doing there jobs.

MrTriple I'd keep pushing your dealer on this, i was told "triumph are fully aware of the problem"

5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Good idea Bryan but he shouldn't have too, his dealer needs to take ownership of his problem and should be pushing triumph for a fix, he just seems to be getting fobbed off.

Wonder what triumph would do if all rs owners took there bikes back to Hinckley and asked for a refund. :mad::joy: I'm not endorsing doing so but what if.... hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Would moving the shift arm one grove clockwise on the shaft not get the same result, as would change the angle of the rod and possibly give a small amount of clearance on the QS sensor?

7. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    It wouldnt clear the bulbous shape of the quickshifter sensor and its not advised that you give any adjustment length ways either, triumph are very specific.:weary_face:

8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    ideally the sensor should be elsewhere on the rod, but as it passes through the frame you can’t have it anywhere else.
    Be ok with rearsets as yo could place it further back with rods from Translogic.

9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I agree that filing it would no doubt do the trick - but I want it replaced with a Triumph part...the bike is one year old and under warranty for another year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    They will take ownership by the time I'm done...I'm not one for being fobbed off, but I also like to give them the opportunity to do the right thing without needing to shout at them.

The email that I send to Triumph HQ (copied to the dealer), with their response and the detail obtained via this forum, should do the trick very nicely ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The dealer dremeled out the shift arm for me the first time I brought it to their attention. When I got the bike back recently they replaced it with an arm from Triumph that was machined out. So they must be aware of the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    I’m taking my speed to Cadwell on tuesday next week to abuse it, I’ll soon see if the quickshifter and blipper work as they should, I won’t be holding back using it so it’ll be a good test.
    It’s been ok so far since it was done but I haven’t really used it in anger.
    I’ll update you all next week

• Like Like x 4
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #153 MrTriple, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Also posted on the 4th Gear Problems thread:

Well...my dealer might be in denial, but thanks to the info on this forum, I've now obtained a written response from Triumph UK and my dealer has been asked to submit a warranty claim. I'll keep an eye out for the part number.

"I can confirm that the company has been investigating a concern that some customers have experienced with the shift assist on the Speed Triples. A fix has been identified and the dealers are being advised to fit a new linkage clamp, the part number which will be supplied to the dealer."

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, I went for a short ride today and engaged the quickshifter, as it looked like others have resolved the issue with the new shift linkage. Everything was fine until my first full throttle shift at about 8000 rpms. Yup, another false neutral on the up shift. Luckily this time I was able to pull in the clutch before it slammed into the next gear. Jesus Christ. I’m done with quickshifters.

15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    #155 SteveRS, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    I originally posted this in the 4th gear problems thread, but it needs to be posted here as well. As you know I still had an issue after the supposed fix, so obviously there is more going on here. I’ve been contacted by my dealer and they are in contact with Triumph UK wanting more info about what’s been happening with my bike. Triumph UK also wanted my dealer to get my bike so they can try and simulate the false neutrals and take screen shots of it to send to them. I said no way, as there is a potential for additional damage to my gearbox. I’m not putting this gearbox through that again. I believe these quickshifters are using a very unsophisticated mechanical switch that sends the signal for the kill times required for shifting. The more sophisticated quickshifters use “strain gauge technology” which is not a mechanical switch that is precise and can’t fail. I highly doubt this issue will be resolved by Triumph unless they manufacture and replace the existing one with a more sophisticated quickshifter. I have informed my dealer that it’s only under heavy loads (high rpm’s) that the quickshifter fails, which seems to point at the kill times for the quickshifter being factory set for lower rpm shits. Triumph’s quickshifter is not capable of adjusting from light loads to heavy shits under load, where as others like the HM is. It will be interesting to see how Triumph “try’s “ to resolve this issue, but I’m not holding my breath. For me I think it’s time to start saving for a quality blipper/shifter.

16. White-Vador

White-Vador Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    Hello !!!

for information, after an exchange of email with HM, I had the confirmation that their last shifter / blipper is compatible with our RS, besides if one has by chance the original length of just the selection rod without the shifter because I did not have it with my bike, so I'll finally be able to have a shifter worthy of the name
    thank you !!!

http://hmquickshifter.com/?post_type=product&p=8828&preview=true

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Aprilia’s Quick Shift System
    I agree, the HM “Stand Alone Blipper/Shifter” looks like a sophisticated system using molecular strain gauge technology. I posted this up a short while ago in the 4th gear problems thread. I’m hoping to receive a refund for the garbage that came with my bike, as it is not working as advertised. That refund I would like to put that towards the purchase of the HM blipper/Shifter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    I guess I will let you know, this arrived today totally unexpectedly!

I spoke with HM a few weeks ago about the issue and explained that I work in R&D on transmissions for a living and I would be happy to use my bike as a test mule for them to confirm compatibility as an owner suffering from the issue.

I will let you guys know how I get on!!

image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, that's cool! How great to find a new HM quick shifter on your doorstep free of charge. Hope it works well. Let all of Speed Triple owners know how it goes please!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Is that the stand alone blipper/shifter? I’m very interested in seeing how this works out for you. Please keep us posted.

• Agree Agree x 1