Quickshifter Problem!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Personally I prefer a bike with more torque, as you don’t need to wring it’s neck for an enjoyable ride. Mind you, I don’t think you have to ring a Tuono’s neck to enjoy it.

2. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    You certainly don’t, it’s very quick in any gear and at any revs, the V4 engine is a peach

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Which do you prefer most?

4. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    That’s a difficult one, the speed is far better in traffic as the tuono is quite lumpy, but they are both so planted when getting a move one, on track the tuono is amazing, but I’m yet to take the speed on track and I’m sure it’ll be up there, I had the choice when changing from a mt10,
    It was either a tuono, superduke or speed, and I chose the speed as it’s the best all round bike , but love the other 2 as well
    They are all similar yet very different!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Rode my 2019 RS about 80 miles today both in and out of town hitting all the gears. I used my quick shifter a lot, paying very close attention to how it felt, when it shifted super smoothly and when it shifted less than smoothly. I'm glad to report that it pretty much worked flawlessly other than on a couple of downshifts when I forgot to maintain the throttle and closed it some instead. Even then it wasn't bad. That said, I really like what MrTriple suggested--registering a "potential problem" with the dealer so my concern is on record for any warranty claim. I'm going to do just that. Great idea. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Soooo many great bikes! Alas, not enough money or garage space. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    So Sandi...I arrived at the dealer for service and took the opportunity to register the QS issue - I showed photos of the modified part and I pointed out the little tell-tale mark, where on my bike, the QS body has been touching the arm. I stressed that I'd not experienced a problem, but potentially, if it misses a few clean shifts (especially in the 4th and 5th gear zone, where I've tended to shift manually) it could cause irreversible damage...all for the sake of fitting an inexpensive replacement part.

The initial response was that I should talk directly to Triumph (a strange moment of forgotten identity on their part). The service technician happened to be at the counter and he explained that the internet was full of "this sort of thing" and that he hadn't heard of a single case concerning as issue with QS.

The fact that a part has been produced, did add weight to my 'internet fable' and they agreed to investigate (I don't expect this to happen). They said they would make a note on my record - and I'll check on progress when I next call in.

This pretty much went as expected :expressionless:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #108 MrTriple, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Just checking @Sandi T. - you wrote "worked flawlessly other than on a couple of downshifts when I forgot to maintain the throttle and closed it some instead".

I thought you were supposed to close the throttle during the downshift? It certainly works best for me if I do that. When shifting up, it's open throttle of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Which do you prefer most?
    Correct, a closed throttle is how the shifter is designed to work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The manager at my dealer told me a similar thing. He said some people will think they have the same issue when they read it online. I assured him that wasn’t the case.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, I don't remember where I heard or read about not closing the throttle on QS downshifts but it was someplace. I think it might have been my dealership service manager that told me that. In my experience with my RS, if I downshift when my throttle is closed, the bike doesn't shift nearly as smoothly as if I have the throttle sort of neutral or slightly closed or in the process of slightly/slowly closing it and am decelerating. Then it's like butter. Hmmm..... On upshifts my QS works the most smoothly when revs are fairly high and the throttle is neutral to a little (and I mean little) bit open. This all said, it doesn't seem like a great design that it's so persnickety, now, does it?

12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the report on your dealership experience, MrTriple. I guess I'm not surprised. Unfortunately. It's disappointing when one's local dealership says "talk to corporate". That feels like a blow off to me. And how much pull does one owner have with "corporate"? It's also frustrating when the dealership shrugs off concerns that are expressed among riders because it's on a forum. I like to get info, reviews, from a variety of sources and have found forums helpful because you get to communicate with people who are actually riding a bike like yours! Plus we're not trying to sell one another anything. That said, I do have a very long and good relationship with the guys at my local Triumph dealership and have never felt like they haven't taken excellent care of me and of my bikes. So I've got that going for me anyway. I've yet to get over to my dealership since I started reading about the quick shifter issues. And with some current "life" stuff going on, I probably won't for another week or so. When I do I'll post their response.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    @Sandi T. - the dealer relationship is similar for me too; I've been speaking to the same people there for the last 6 years, across 3 different bikes. We chat about bikes and biking, they help with maintenance advice, they're 'modification friendly', I see them at various shows and events - and nothing is too much trouble...until I mention a problem that they've never heard of (or worse, mention the internet).

I got the same reaction with the well known 'sticking clutch lever' issue. I guess they're programmed to deny all knowledge of anything that represents a class action against them...and to be fair, I can understand that.

I'm sure (hope!) if a problem arises, they'll be 'on it' - as they always have been in the past :)

14. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    I have 4800 miles on my '19 RS now; never an issue with the QS but this thread had me go down to the garage to have a look. I have a slight mark on mine as intcbandituk's pics in post #87, but it doesn't appear to be rubbing at all when actuating it on the paddock stand. I'm not a fan of the QS on the 1-2 change going up, but use it 90% of the time on every other shift up and down by choice. I close the throttle on down. I've had a few odd shifts that I've always put down to stabbing the upshifts too hard on the foot lever; when I apply slight pressure up and then firmly change it in a controlled manner with a steady throttle hand I almost always have a smooth shift at any RPM above 5K.

Just adding more data to the conversation.

15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yeah. I had a sticking throttle issue (yikes) on my 2012 Thruxton. My dealership was under different ownership back then and I got a similar "What?! Nah.." reaction when I reported the issue.. That is, until the mechanic rode my bike and felt it himself. And at a particularly inopportune time during the test ride. Then my throttle got fixed lickety split!

16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad to read that someone with nearly 5K on a '19 RS has a good quick shifter! That's encouraging. I agree about not being a fan of the QS on the 1-2 change going up (or down either, for me anyway). So I pretty much avoid it. Spspeed, your description of "stabbing the upshifts" is a good one. I've also found that slight pressure and a firm change in a controlled manner with a steady throttle such as you describe provides me the smoothest QS shifts. And again, that goes for both up and downshifting on my bike. I don't have the miles on my Speedy yet as you. I'm at about 1800. Next time I go out I'm going to do a little experimenting with closing the throttle vs. neutral to slight closure/decel to if and how they affect using the QS on downshifts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    LOL - I don't normally downshift into 1st gear on road (just pull in the clutch after braking/downshifting to 2nd gear); though I have done it and it does work. I've learned in the same manner, just trial-and-error how to best work with the QS. *note: just as on my '13 Street Triple R I owned prior to this bike that I retrofitted the Triumph QS to (though that was upshift only) and have found it behaved in a similar manner. These two bikes are the first two I've ever had a QS on; but after you know a bike and learn it's quirks IMHO you generally work out how to be smooth with everything.

Related to the guys having issues as in this thread, it must be frustrating when there is a mechanical/electrical problem that is causing issue. It is odd that some are definately having issues and some are having none though. I am in the US, picked my bike up July 2018 assuming it was an '18 model but the dealership and title both informed me I was in fact getting a '19.

18. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Small piece of advice... sent them an email mentioning the agreement and ask any simple question in the end. If they answer this, you’ve got prove they received your message.

Hate that its necessary, but I’ve encountered this more often (NOT triumph related! )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Don't worry Arno, I'll be making sure I get something in writing from them - but you're absolutely right...it's necessary!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Quick update, bike is still in dealers, called again today, yeah we’ll call you back, surprise surprise no call, so that’s nearly 7 weeks this year my bike has been in the dealers and the quickshifter still isn’t sorted.
    Getting mighty pissed off now

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  21. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Can't you call Triumph HQ?