Quickshifter Problem!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I asked my dealer about it this morning (before I took the pics) and they weren't aware of any QS issue or an updated part at all. But it can take a while for Triumph to actually get around to updating dealers about stuff like this :rolleyes:

2. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    been reading the stories about qs problems. mine has been ok. there is a slight mark on the arm. i have moved the arm relative to the shaft on the splines so that the marks now dont line up, this unknowingly also moves the ball joint nearer the qs and has given it a bit more clearance. i moved the arm on the splines because i couldnt move the gear lever down enough on the threaded rod to get a comfortable position. i am 6'3" and the standard gear lever position is way out for me.

3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona

4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I've noticed many of the same things as Clarkey231. When I'm higher in the rev range the quick shifter is smooth as silk. It does make sense that that may be related to track/racing use. I've also worked on figuring out when it works the most smoothly and what I'm doing (or not doing!). Shifting seems the smoothest when, as I said earlier, revs are high (upshifting only!) and when I'm "purposeful" about my shifting. Steady, firm pressure. No jabbing. No hovering my foot over the shifter peg. Making sure my boot is in place. I don't know that I'm describing this well, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. When I sort of "poke" at the shifter peg or don't pay attention to revs, it's less smooth. And I do have to remember to close close the throttle on down shifting which is a hard habit to break. All in all, I love using the quick shifter but may use it less than I have been and under particular conditions.

5. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    You’ve explained that well. Like you I now pay more attention to having my foot in the right position and am less fluffy with changes. With the clutch in I suppose you can be ‘fluffy’ and nowt happens.

I was out for a very spirited 200 miles yesterday with constant shifting and it worked perfectly. Seems to be best after it’s fully fully up to temp, or even hot. I seem to have adapted to using it as proper QS when spirited riding but in town etc I revert to clutch. Seems natural to me but I like to think I’ve got good mechanical sympathy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    I use my quickshifter exactly the same as you, never use it in town or in traffic, just when spirited riding, I’ve had 4 bikes now all with Quickshifters and never had a problem, My brother has a tuono and it’s the best quickshifter / blipper I’ve used so smooth at any revs, and you can change down when the throttle is applied as it still rev matches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I sure don't want to sound like I'm implying that those having quick shifter problems is related to something they're doing or not doing. So please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to figure my own bike and am hoping like crazy that I don't wind up with the same issues some others on this forum are experiencing. All of this does, however, make me wary about using the quick shifter on my RS. And that's a true bummer because I really like using it! I'd never even used one prior to last November when I did a Keith Code Superbike School on a school BMW S1000R. That sorta hooked me. Oh well, I guess ignorance WAS bliss. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Fluffy". Love that description! :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Me too. Maybe I should have bought a Tuono.

10. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Whey man Woulda coulda shoulda

2 mates had v4r tuonos and both had gear box problems within the first 2000 miles plus electric problems, had to be without there bikes for months, both sold them.

On one visit to Whitby/helmsley 3 aprilia tuonos on seperate occasions wouldn't start and were waiting for the rac/aa to come and recover them, I urge you to buy one, they're fantasticly reliable. :joy::poop:

Shit happens with all bikes, forums are here to help others and I'll keep you all updates on my rs and I'm sure we'll all find a piss easy fix to this problem. Let's not get down on a fantastic bike and turn that frown :( upside down :).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I too did not want to imply you are doing somat wrong or not using mechanical sympathy. After re reading it does sound a bit like that! No there is defo a problem with your QS and like others with no problem (yet!) I’m nearly as keen as you for Triumph to sort it!

When out on Tuesday my mate was on a Z1000SX with QS and his was the same as the Triumph one in terms of how he used it and when it was happier to change etc.

12. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Sorry guys didn’t mean it to come out like that.
    I wasn’t implying you were making a dig.
    Just saying I haven’t been harsh with it at all, I’m same as you clarky,I look after my bikes so I’m sympathetic with gearboxes and engines.
    I think you either have the problem or you don’t, there’s definelty something wrong with mine which I can’t get my head round why.
    Each time when it’s been to the garage it works lovely for 30-40 miles then I go for a change up and it won’t let me. Then it does for a minute or so then boom, No quickshifter / Blipper error warning.
    The problem is if it was just the quickshifter I could turn it off, But it turns traction off, engine warning light and no gear position indicator so can’t be started with the stand down. it’s definelty on the upshifts the blipper hasn’t missed a beat.

13. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Btw my brother has a tuono 1100 8.5k miles and a mate has just sold his for a new one and he did 18.5k miles. Both have been bulletproof, Same as any bike, some go wrong some don’t, I think the 1100 engine is sorted compared to the 1000 tuono, I had a multistrada that was terrible yet a friend had one and did loads of miles with no probs?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Speaking of the Tuono, here is a dyno of the Tuono and the Speed RS. They were performed at the same time with the same dyno. I found it on the Triumphrat forum. Very surprising results.

0DAD666B-704A-4C6F-976F-887422F6BBA9.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    More horsepower and significantly more torque until 8500 rpms. That’s awesome.

16. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Just a thought as I was in the garage today, has anyone checked there battery?, I know a low voltage can effect quickshifters

17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Mine is connected to a charger after each ride. It’s definitely not a battery issue. It looks like the shifter link is the issue.

18. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    That’s chart makes sense, I’ve raced my brother of the lights and I get the faster start but then he comes past as he can rev longer, on the motorway roll ons I can just beat him

19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Does he have a Tuono?

20. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Yeah it’s 1100rr,