Quickshifter Problem!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Mar 1, 2019.

1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I ride the RS with QS and also a Tiger (without one).
    I'm thinking about removing the QS off the RS as it's only a gimmick for a road bike really and makes it easier switching between a QS and a non QS box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Also, mis-shifting with a QS is a good way to bend a shift fork......

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Probably not much help but my thoughts on the quick shifter are these.

With the warm weather recently I really gave it full throttle and changed higher up th rev range and it was so slick it felt almost seemless. This sort of tallies with the QS basically being for when on track/racing.

In general use it still works but not as slickly and I have adapted my riding to sometimes use it sometimes not as road, traffic or my own mood that day dictate.

I have occasionally hit neutral but as people have said that's been because I've not been positive enough with the gear lever.

In short I'd still have it but it only comes into its own when pushing on.

I've not had any faults as you've described but hope you get em sorted sharpish. I'm approaching 3k miles and haven't had any faults yet touch wood.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I can't help thinking that's the character of the 'box as much as anything to do with the QS. Mine's a 2015 94R with no QS, lazily ride around urban roads and the box is fairly cluncky (but don't recall ever getting a false neutral).
    But if out on the open road riding swiftly and matching revs correctly and I can't imagine a sweeter gear change (or the need for a QS ;))

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    That is a great point. My 2014 s I never hit a false neutral and to be fair I never did on the RS until QS fitted.

I sold my S for 6k and the RS is nowhere near 8k a better bike. I think if I'd had an R I'd of stuck with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I went for another ride yesterday and found I had difficulty changing into 5th once. But, it may be that my boots are too far forward and I end up wedging my boots between the foot peg and shifter. As I’m shifting up through the gears I’ve noticed that sometimes I’m sliding my foot forwards closer to the shifter. I’m not a 100% sure but I think that’s what’s happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #26 Eldon, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Steve, have you no heel on the boots to hook onto the peg?
    Just an idea but might be worth trying ;
    Lash up a heel with a block of wood and duct tape then take it for a blast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    My rs went back to the dealers yesterday with the qs fault, not going into 4th 5th or 6th, doesn't happen all the time just annoying when it does, (shit happens)

Newcastle triumph have been fantastic, they've put me on another bike, the new service manager genuinely wants it sorting and said leave it with them until he can get to the bottom of it, he also added triumph are aware of the problem but not releasing any information yet.
    So whilst mines in I'm taking the time to have a go of some triumphs I've always wanted to ride, I opted to take the bobber home :laughing: (What a bike) and will be changing it on Tuesday to a street triple rs for a long term loaner. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes, Dainese Torque D1 boots. Maybe I’ll try moving the shifter back up to its original position, as I positioned it lower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, moved it back to the factory position and took her for about a 45 minute ride today. So far so good. I’ll put her through it’s paces tomorrow and let you know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, moved it back to the factory position and took her for about a 45 minute ride today. So far so good. I’ll put her through it’s paces tomorrow and let you know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Gave her a good 4 hour ride today and it’s still a problem. I’ve disabled it within the menu. I have the 800 km service on Tuesday, even though I’m at nearly 1300 km’s, so I’ll discuss it with the dealer then. A little disappointing for sure. Mind you I still like to shift manually, as there is something very satisfying about it. On a side note, I had a discussion with the service desk employee from my dealer about the first service, as I think it’s b¥|| sh[t. Everything except for the autoscan, another computer related check and checking for seized brake pistons, is on the daily rider check list. Why in the hell should we pay for something that they expect us to do daily right after the first service. The service desk employee said he wasn’t sure how much of the first service I can do myself without affecting the warranty. He said that he will look into it. Anyone else do the first service themselves without the dealer talking about possible warranty issues?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Steve, I pulled the service department apart on my 765 pdi. I had already negotiated the 500 mile service within the purchase price so asked them just to give me the oil and filter and I'd sort it.

No chance, they were most adamant they had to do it to retain the warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s to bad. I go in tomorrow and will let you know what happens, but I think I can guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well the dealer surprised me today. Only charged me one hour for the service to do the autoscan and some other checks. They allowed me to do the rest of it. They checked out the quickshifter and said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it, but if I’m having any more trouble with it they’ll replace it. Don’t know if that will fix the issue but it’s a start. So all in all I’m pretty happy with how it went today, not what I was expecting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Went back to the dealer today as the quickshifter is still acting up. Dealer said they have to contact triumph to see what the next step is but looks like it’s going to be a quickshifter replacement. So I guess we’ll see. Other than that the bike is absolutely awesome. My brother and I rode yesterday and we switched bikes for a while. He has a GSX S1000 with a full M4 exhaust. The speed has a lot more torque down low and in the mid range, his bike has more top end, so it needs to be ridden at high rpm’s. With regards to handling and feel, the speed is far more planted and solid feeling. A lot of that has to do with the suspension but geometry is definitely factoring in as well. The GSX S steering is more twitchy feeling, more like a supermoto. Also interesting was breaking. He replaced his Nissin master cylinder with a brembo RCS Master cylinder. The callipers are the same ones that are on the GSX R1000 so should be pretty good, but it has a rubber brake lines. Although it was an improvement over the Nissin, it couldn’t match the speed, which had much more powerful breaking with great feel. Anyways, it was fun to compare the two bikes and just thought I would share.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Update on the bike.
    It’s still in the garage with the dealer, they have been talking to triumph headquarters and triumph know there is a issue with the quickshifter/gearbox problem.
    The garage have to check every single wire and connecting end to find the cause, I should hear back from them this week.
    The plot thickens

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Good to hear they now recognize there is an issue. Maybe there will be a recall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. James Fan

James Fan New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I hope they give you a loan bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Just been to my fav dealer of triumph to change my loner over from the speed master to the street triple rs, whilst my speedy rs is in :grinning:

Again Newcastle triumph have been fantastic with me and I believe the shift assist fault has been diagnosed...... a new thinner selector shaft has been ordered because the bulbous sensor on original qs is catching the gear arm linkage on the up shift movement, if you have a qs fitted I suggest you have a look and see for yourself, by moving your gears up the box manually by hand.... you'll see immediately what I mean.
    It needs to be an immediate action for sensor to understand what's happening, a sleight hesitation will result in missing gears because it's catching, sort of explains the 4th to 6th gear once it finds a gear to go in.
    I'll be picking Rosie up on Saturday and will report back if it's worked OR not. :blush:
    I'm not being patronising but if you don't understand my ramblings, I'll draw a picture so you get my gist. :joy: I just don't want my fellow speed rs brothers to get pissed off with such a great motorcycle.

IMG-20190507-WA0004.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  21. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    That's great news Pete, fingers crossed that does the trick. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1