Quickshifter Problem!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David_RS

David_RS Well-Known Member

May 7, 2019
    Singapore
    #201 David_RS, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Hi Steve - thanks for your thoughts.

It does seem like there are several separate issues that might be being lumped together, just to add confusion to a situation that Triumph aren't exactly managing very well....

My thoughts are that the modified linkage stops the QS catching on the linkage arm and receiving false inputs, which in turn cause false output signals. The very fact that the part exists means that Triumph think (or maybe that should be 'thought'?) it would help.

The issue with false neutrals (particularly between 4th and 5th, and 5th and 6th) is surely a gearbox issue? My bike now has 2,500km on it, and the gearbox is a sweet as anything.

As I can clutchless shift all the way up with no issues, why would the QS cutting the ignition to unload the gearbox (as opposed to me rolling off the gas) be any different?

Maybe I'm missing something?

Granted, I'll be hugely pi$$ed if I fit the QS and toast the gearbox.

Decisions decisions....

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Third from last paragraph says it all to me. Can all you people with QS issues get a clean clutchless shift WITHOUT using the qs? If you can then it seems obvious that the qs isn’t giving the gearbox enough time to engage fully hence the false neutrals and subsequent damage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David_RS

David_RS Well-Known Member

May 7, 2019
    Singapore
    Hi Steve,

I re-read a lot of the thread - sorry to hear about your issues. If I saw correctly, you’ve gone through two gearboxes?!!

What’s your gut feeling on it? Is it a perfectly good gearbox being junked by a poorly calibrated QS, or is there an inherent problem with the gearbox (which I think had updates/revisions for the RS?).

I do wonder if it is a little of both, which is perhaps why Triumph are struggling? If there are some bad gearboxes and QS units out there, it’s probably grimly predictable that we end up with bent metal when both are bad on the same bike....

Anyway, sorry to hear of your struggles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IlaOblomow

IlaOblomow New Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Berlin
    Hallo, I own a speed rs 2019. I had the small mark on my qs, and sometimes dificultidif to shift in to the 6th gear. Then I have got the new linkeag and the problems disappeared. I made about 3000 km with the new linkage, and even shifting at 9-10 RPM makes no problems. I never had any false neutrals. So I thinking ther could be several different problems not affecting all bikes. I hope Triumph will find a solution, but the German riders are quite desilusioned. Maybe the QS shifter collision with the linkage was destroying the gearbox due to falls timing ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tricky159

Tricky159 Member

Jul 15, 2018
    South Wales
    Is this the same guy that had a MV Brutale dragster 800 RR ?

6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup, no issues with clutchless shifts for me.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry, I haven’t ruined two gearboxes. To clarify, this issue toasted the first gearbox then presented itself on the second gearbox twice, which I was ready for and caught before it slammed too hard into the next gear. Unlikely it did any damage from those two relatively mild false neutrals, I hope. I haven’t tried it since and never will again, so this gearbox is fine.

8. White-Vador

White-Vador Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    hello !!!

Mine arrive next week :p

Do you have tryed it ?

Can't wait to have your feed back and settings :)

9. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    #209 Burny_13, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2021

Hey, bet you're really excited!

At the moment, I cant get the blip to function below 6500RPM. HM have looked at this remotely, but are unable to see the issue, so its booked in on their dyno for the 28th. I will have some answers then! (and a new suspension setup too cause when in rome.... )

• Like Like x 1
  10. White-Vador

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    Thanks for the news ;)

11. White-Vador

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    Just recevied my SABS pro !!!
    I wish its resolving all the problems ....

A7F29036-0F28-4C0C-8CE5-C7588C1457E2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  12. IlaOblomow

IlaOblomow New Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Berlin
    I hope it will solve your problems. My QS works fine with no problems. I even habmve the feeling it works better and better, or I just learned to change gears quick and effectively enough, so that it works almost seamless.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Boing :heart_eyes:

14. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Member

Aug 24, 2019
    South Sandwich Islands
    Hello new to the forum and therefore the thread.

Sorry to hear so many people are having issues.

I have a 2016 R and was hoping to buy the official QS accessory from Triumph.

Couple of questions if people are happy to help.

1. Is it all specific to the RS? As I believe the RS has a modified box from the 2016 R model.

2. Is the revised linkage now part of the QS kit or do you need to procure separately?

3. Has anyone contacted Translogic the QS manufacturer as their technical department are very helpful.

15. White-Vador

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    Hello,
    I will try to answer as best as I can with my bad English

for the QS it is not the same reference,A9930428
    it is only up shift
    no need for new linkage because the diameter of the sensor is smaller so no worries
    I already contacted 1 month ago and I never had an answer .....

16. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I have been watching this thread for a while and thought I would add my thoughts/ experiences to date.
    This is the first bike I’ve had a QS on. I purchased my RS as an ex demo with 1450 miles on it. The bike didn’t have a QS on it when it was was being used as a demonstrator and I negotiated one to be fitted to it at the time of purchase. I have now done around 1000 miles on it and I think I have missed 2 or 3 gear shifts on it since starting to use the bike. Not really unusual whilst getting to know a new bike and a new gearshift technique. Now I am used to it I haven’t had a missed shift at any revs for ages.
    Would it be worth starting a Poll on here to see how many bikes are affected? I would say in all honesty mine seems fine. ( I typed that with fingers crossed...) Or have Triumph considered a wholesale recall to fix all QS fitted bikes I wonder?

17. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    All going well, I will have a setup file to email to you by this evening :)

• Love You Love You x 1
  18. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Member

Aug 24, 2019
    South Sandwich Islands
    Thanks for the reply and info.

Surprised Translogic have not responded, as they have always been good when I've contacted them. Maybe give them a call as I'm sure they would like to help.

• Like Like x 1
  19. White-Vador

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    oh yes !!! thank you !!!

20. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    #220 Burny_13, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    All done, HM Quick shifters have been fantastic and got a good setup on the unit.

It is not 'perfect' and I will continue to develop the setup on the road, if anyone wants the latest setup from my bike, please drop me a PM with your email address and I will send it over. :)

• Like Like x 1