Featured America Putting An America Back In The Road After 10 Years

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by English Bowman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. English Bowman

English Bowman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    A good friend of mine bought a Bonneville America new in 2004, rode it for 5 years, then put it away one day put a cover over it and never rode it again.
    I have persuaded him to let me put it back on the road, so tomorrow I'm getting trailered to my place for resurrection.
    I'm planning on new battery, tyres and oil change. I'll clean the carbs and check the air filter, clean and service the brakes, all the usual stuff to do when servicing a bike. (Not going to touch valve clearances as that's beyond me and will go to a dealer when that's needed)
    My question is, is there anything particular to the America that I need to look out for, I'm used to a TT600 and a Sprint 1050 (Had an ST, not got the GT) so I'm not new to Triumphs, but this will be the first in the Bonnie range that I've worked on.

• Like Like x 6
  2. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Member

May 29, 2020
    Arkansas, USA
    You may well have considered this and it is not particular for this bike, but I might suggest, siphon/pumping or draining out any older gasoline, and looking into the gas tank, to see if there is any rust inside it. If it is present, it could cause mischief.
    Sincerely, Tommy

• Like Like x 8
  3. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Good point, I was planning on draining the tank, hadn't thought of the rust issue, will check that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Member

May 29, 2020
    Arkansas, USA
    I have seen tanks with rust in the past.
    I recently bought my '09 Speedmaster with under 500 miles. That was one thing I really looked at closely when I looked at mine, and drained and refilled the tank when I got the bike home ASAP.
    My tank seemed to be really, really clean, although the gasoline was pretty "sour-stink" smelling IMO.
    Tommy

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Good call Bowman, best of luck with your resurrection :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  6. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Thanks, I'll let you all know how it goes, put my spare battery on charge today and am picking the bike up this afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Well I've picked the bike up and it's safely in my garage now. Initial impressions are good. The chain was lubed up before it was put away, the fuel tap was turned to off and the chrome was covered in a thin coat of oil. There is some corrosion on the chrome, but not a huge amount. There is no obvious corrosion anywhere else. The brakes haven't seized on and it rolls with no problems. My initial thoughts are that this shouldn't be too bad a job. Checking the oil, fuel and putting a new battery in it are next to see if it turns over and fires up.
    (I need to change the number plate before I can MOT it, and the owner has the battery cover and a few other bits put in a safe place.)
    20200801_170052.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Nice bike EB, a bit of tc and overhaul and she's ready to go

9. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Yes, but very different to what I'm used to.

TT600 (4).jpg

20171119_133600.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  10. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Spent an hour on her this evening, the electrics were completely dead, even with a part charged battery. Fortunately the original owner had the alarm blanking plug, so off with the tank, fitted the plug and I have a neutral light. The battery won't hold enough of a charge to get more than that, but I'll fit a new battery next. (I can always re-attach the alarm if I choose as I've only unplugged it, but not sure that I'll bother)

11. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Well drained the tank and all is good inside, connected up a good battery from my Sprint whilst the tank was off and turned the bike over, it turned over fine. Put the tank back on, put new fuel in, pulled out the choke, hit the start button, and she started up. She won't tick over yet, but she starts and runs. So I'll order a new battery, and continue with the checks.

• Like Like x 3
  12. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Well drained the tank and all is good inside, connected up a good battery from my Sprint whilst the tank was off and turned the bike over, it turned over fine. Put the tank back on, put new fuel in, pulled out the choke, hit the start button, and she started up. She won't tick over yet, but she starts and runs. So I'll order a new battery, and continue with the checks.

• Like Like x 2
  13. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Brakes, suspension, chain, steering, and electrics are all good, but the carbs needed stripping cleaning and rebuilding, so after discussion with the owner I've taken the wimpy way out and booked it into a professional to strip, the carbs, give them a sonic clean the rebuild and balance them. He's also going to put it into for the MOT. The tyres are visually fine, but I'm planning on replacing them anyway. (Anyone got any tips on the best tyres for the America?)

14. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Avoid Metzler 888. Made mine( and others) vibrate .Ditched them in the end.
    Currently running Bridgestone Excedras which work well on my 2007 Speedmaster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    E.B. I picked one of these up [a 2002] a number of years back. Owner said it had been sitting 2-3 years. Drained the tank. Put in fresh plugs. The carburettor slides were a bit sticky for the first few miles, but I have had it for years. Really the most reliable bike I have ever owned. Done a few upgrades over the years, but I'll take one of these carburetted twins over a new one ANY time. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Think I would drain that old oil and replace with new stuff and a filter.
    Not worth not doing for how much it costs.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    Good plan, already bought the oil, and the filter will be ordered tomorrow. I'd planned on that from the start, but as the bike started and ran so easily, I thought I'd get the bike running and through the MOT so I had something positive to report back to the owner. I'll have plenty of time for an oil change before he takes it back.

• Like Like x 2
  18. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    I thought that I'd get a quote for insurance, just out of curiosity, why is the bike not listed on any of the online sites? I've used the Speedmaster to get the quotes and am pleasantly surprised under £100 fully comp for someone without any no claims. (Although that's for a rider with no accidents or convictions who's nearer 50 than 40)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Webbo1946

Webbo1946 New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Shrewsbury UK
    So you put the Bonnie away in 2011? If I were you my first trip would be straight to the tyre shop and put some new boots on. No matter how good they look, do you really want to risk your neck on old rubber for the sake of £200 or so?

20. English Bowman

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    You're absolutely right, in fact if you look higher up the thread I asked for opinions on tyres. I wanted to get it running again and through an MOT before spending out any more, that's done now, it passed with no advisories, so the next thing is to insure and tax it, and as you say the first trip will be for new tyres.

• Like Like x 2