Proper fehling hard luggage rails on my America

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Englishman, Mar 11, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    #1 Englishman, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Fitted these as I decided leather bags are not going to be adequate for a 2000 mile tour of Germany because it will rain.

This is the Fehling system for Givi/Kappa Monokey so can accommodate any of the side cases in the range if I really wanted massive ones, I could have em but I think they would look out of character on such a ride.

I will probably go for the E21 or the E36, I see there is now an E22 although this may be a bit angular for a cruiser. I will try them all and buy the ones which best suit sir and the bike.

No instructions, to be honest, for a lot of people, this would have been a big deal in this case because there are 2x 5 spacers all of differing length as well as bolts of many different lengths. I certainly would not have trusted anyone to install these for me, least of all a "professional" as I read somewhere is the suggestion. Done incorrectly, it would be easy to have bent/strained these to fit with spacers in wrong places and a non-engineer would not have known they were bodged.

If you decide you like and want, then I will be happy to explain the above in more detail.

AL

WP_20140311_003[1].jpg

WP_20140311_005[1].jpg

WP_20140311_004[1].jpg

WP_20140311_002[1].jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    By the way, they are as solid as a rock, I can drag the bike sideways in the garage with the left hand one. The brackets are very thick and very well made.
    Al

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Nov 15, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    The bike looks awesome mate!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013

Thanks Dig Dave
    Al

5. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I fitted some of those when I got the America. I also bought some rather large Givi panniers. I've had hard luggage on all my bikes since 1988 and wouldn't tour without them now. So much easier than throw overs and more secure and greater capacity than the Triumph leather panniers. I don't give a toss how the bike looks (I used to have a GS :wink: ) so a top box and panniers are fine with me.

The fitting wasn't explained very well but I contacted the chaps at Fehling who were really helpful and sent me a sheet in detailing each fitting and what spacers and bolts were to be used.

I couldn't get one of the panniers to fit at first but once again the chaps at Fehling helped out and suggested loosening the fittings before putting the pannier on then tightening up the nuts. That seems to work.

I'll see if I sort out some feelthy (the bike hasn't been cleaned all winter and has done the best part of 3k since Christmas) pics in the next few days showing the panniers in place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    I have had a GS and an RT so i understand your point.
    im dead keen to see your bike with the panniers on as this will help me a lot in choosing the right ones. I have considered them trekker ones at 33 liter each but they look a bit adventure bike orientated. I like the idea of top openers but the E21's are quite small.

Also will be nice to see your mucky bike,
    Cheers
    Al

7. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #7 folkbloke, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Top geeza, thanks, are they the E360'smthen?

cheers
    Al

9. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    That's fab, many thanks. I see that Ghost Bikes list those as discontinued but i might find them on the Bay. Now I know that your bike looks ok with 44's on, I wont get little ones.

Cheers
    Al

• Like Like x 1