Problems After Loading Tuneecu Map

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jonny figueiredo, Dec 28, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jonny figueiredo

Jonny figueiredo New Member

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    Hi guys
    I have a bit of a problem which I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can help
    I have 2 triumphs
    A 2005 rocket standard and a 2004 tiger955i
    Having successfully loaded a tuneecu map into my rocket (and boy did it make the bike sooo much better!!!) I decided to have a go at loading a map into my tiger since I had an aftermarket can for a few years and never got round to re-tuning it
    I’ve loaded the 10173 map reprogramming went fine when I fired it up the idle was sitting at 2.5k rpm causing the manifold to overheat badly
    I’ve tried to reprogram again but it has made no difference
    Anyone has ever had this problem or have any idea what might be wrong?

2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Suggest you put the old map back in. Sounds like map 10173 isn't right.

3. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes I have thought of that but out of utter stupidity I can’t find it now so either I didn’t manage to save it or something happened to the folder!
    Any ideas?

4. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #4 Kinjane, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Did you hit the reset/adaptation option before restarting the engine?
    This artificially raises the idle limit during the the beginning of the adaptation process for several minutes. 2,400rpm does light up a few memory cells from when I did my twin.

if you did, go through the whole download process again but without opting for fast adaptation. I had the same high idle problem for three remaps and the forth time on the same map it started with a normal tickover, the pain was letting the engine cool down between attempts. Just can’t recall exactly what I did differently that may help. On my last map revision I never bothered with any adaptation and the bike ran perfectly from the first press of the button and has been running perfectly ever since.

5. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    I did what the instructions say and reset the tps that’s all
    It’s quite scary because the headers actually get red hot and the fan triggered within just a few minutes so I’ve turned the bike off and repeated the process again
    I’ll give it another go tomorrow and see where I get to
    Worst case I’ll have to get a stock map from someone and put it in I guess since I stupidly lost it
    Thanks for the input

6. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes I have thought of that but out of utter stupidity I can’t find it now so either I didn’t manage to save it or something happened to the folder!
    Any ideas?

7. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    I did what the instructions say and reset the tps that’s all
    It’s quite scary because the headers actually get red hot and the fan triggered within just a few minutes so I’ve turned the bike off and repeated the process again
    I’ll give it another go tomorrow and see where I get to
    Worst case I’ll have to get a stock map from someone and put it in I guess since I stupidly lost it
    Thanks for the input

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Go to tuneecu you'll need your Vin number and a look at your ECU the sticker will have the original engine tune Numbers on it , it will be 1### or 2### depending on model production date. Later model the numbers begin with 2000 , search through the obsolete engine tunes for T3/4 cylinders.
    Hope you find the map you need!
    It always helps to have tuneecu program set with a map suitable for your model of bike , starting to read or write over the installed mapping goes quicker ! Usually tuneecu won't proceed with mapping if the maps are incompatible....

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    #9 Johnjo, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Great advice from capt there. It's been some years since I've used Tuneecu so I'm having trouble remembering the whole process.
    I do remember using the Tune ecu site like a menu to pick out and download the map I needed. Also remember saving the bikes original map to file before starting any new downloads.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Edit, Johnny did you touch the throttle after the download when you started the bike ?
    I've searched my garage and found my 15 point crib guide to installing new maps.
    I have " DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE " highlighted during the 15 minute run cycle.

10. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    thanks for the input
    I have studied the process quite well before I did anything and as I said I have already downloaded a couple of maps to my rocket successfully
    I did download the original map but I must have done something wrong when saving it and it got lost
    When downloading the map I did everything as per instructions and reset tps..
    I didn’t let it run the whole 12min tune as the headers were getting red hot (and I mean actually incandescent red!) and I just stopped the bike and repeated the remapping process thinking I might have done something wrong but was the exact same output..
    should I let it run the whole 12min tune like this?

11. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I wish I could answer that with some knowledge. Sorry I can't.

How hot was the bike displaying at those revs ? If it was okay and you are confident that your cooling system is A1, I would go for it personally. I've seen YouTube clips of manifolds glowing red hot while motors are in a tuning shop.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of Tune ecu will see your thread and chip in.

Ps, I wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs. It was just spotting in my notes how important it is not to touch the throttle until completion of the process.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    no worries man
    Sometimes it’s the obvious I know!!

I’ve performed this 12 min tune in both my bikes a few times
    My worry here is the heat
    The bike was cold and since I’ve started it it took a few minutes for the fan to come on for the first time at which point I thought it was way too quick and that’s when I realised how much heat the fan was actually spreading out to me so then I looked at the headers and ye they were glowing

I’ve stopped it there and thinking I did something wrong I repeated the whole process but exact same thing happened ..
    My cooling system is working fine
    I’m not so worried about the bike overheating I’ll be watching it closely but more concerned about the heat generated around the headers and all the fixings where the fan is which is closely in front of it
    I’ll give it another try
    Thanks mate

13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Have you a leaf blower type thing that you can use?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    i have a few actually I’m a gardener
    How did I not think of that?
    My neighbours are gonna love me today
    Thanks pal

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    Ok
    I’ve repeated download process just in case allowed time reset tps allowed time
    Performed 12min tune with the help of the blower
    Didn’t work

I’m gonna type some values to see if anyone can spot anything
    With bike stopped :
    Throttle pos 0.0%
    Idle fuel adjustment 0.00%
    Long term fuel trim 3.84%
    Short term fuel trim 0.00%
    Idle air control valve stepper position 180
    Adaptive stepper position 227
    Closed throttle position 2.4%

16. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Gutted it didn't work mate. Sorry but can't help with your figures, they don't mean a thing to me.

I can't come with any suggestions either, perhaps capt might know more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

There is a map for standard exhaust- number 10172. It's for bikes after VIN 206547. Got it on my lappy so can email to you if you PM an email addy. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

BTW the "12 minute tune" is a completely different thing to changing maps with Tuneecu. So not doing it, or not doing it correctly, won't affect the map installation. :)

19. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    yes please mate
    My email is [email protected]

thanks

20. Jonny figueiredo

Dec 28, 2021
    Watford uk
    I have a feeling that it’s actually nothing to do with the map and the tps might not have liked to have been reset or some other sensor
    I’ll give it a go to put the stock map back in but the way it is behaving leads me to suspect it’ll be the same thing
    Thanks guys for the advice

• Like Like x 1