Probably Off To Scotland This Weekend

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by quarky, Jul 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    Weather looks OK, family are away, the stars are aligned.

I am thinking about heading up on the Friday (A1/A68), and staying somewhere north of Edinburgh near Loch Lomand (about 380 miles). On Saturday, heading up to Loch Ness, and some of the roads there (maybe 250 miles), staying back around Loch Lomand again. Then breakfast in Glasgow on Sunday, and heading back home (380 miles again).

Probably going to stay in a hotel or something rather than camp.

Do I need bug-spray? How paranoid do I need to be about bike security (I have a Street Twin)? Any absolutely "must see" locations for pictures that I should consider? Or is it all fairly stunning?

I have water-proofed my textiles, but don't have a snorkel. Is that a requirement? :)

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sounds good. @Dougie D will give you some hints and tips

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Quarky, I know this is going to sound daft but with the mozies up around the Highlands being the size of Lancaster bombers, you might like to know that the best anti-bug product by a million miles is a product by Avon and is called (wait for it:eek:) "Skin so soft".

I was advised to use this when going to North Africa and it worked PERFECTLY - and it's dirt cheap !!!!!

And just before anyone asks, YES it does make yer skin feel soft anorl !!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I personally like the east side of Loch Ness better than the west bank. The Falls of Foyers are very pretty. Other than that most of Scotland is pretty stunning.

5. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    Thanks guys.

One question, getting to Fort William from Tybdrum, it looks like you can take the A82 or the longer A85/A828 past the coast.

Is the longer trip better, or is the A82 pretty stunning too?

6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #5 Vulpes, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    I reckon both are great routes. The A82 is probably quicker, A85/A828 are smaller roads. Depends on how much time you've got really. I personally wouldn't want to miss Glen Coe though. Also, going along the A82 you get Rannoch Moor, which on a good day is also stunning. Just after Fort William there's really nice twisties in between Corran and Ballachulish by the way... :yum

7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi I don’t want to put a dampener on your trip but coming all the way to Scotland from Northampton for only 1 days riding in scotland seems a bit of a crime to me, If it has to be a Saturday you’re riding in Scotland I wouldn’t bother going up the A82 to Loch Ness it’s a busy road and even busier at the weekend,have you set your heart on going up to Loch Ness? I'll send you a PM with a few ideas

• Like Like x 1
  8. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    Thanks @Dougie D

Yeah, it is a long way for one day (and a Saturday), but the journey is part of the adventure I guess, and I don't get many opportunities to do it.

Loch Ness definitely appeals because it is Loch Ness :) A friend of mine suggested the Galloway National Park area as it is closer, but I think I might kick myself if I don't go. Ultimately, nothing stops me changing my mind on the way..

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#8 MrOrange, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2018
    380 mile commute to do 250 around Scotland !!! Bloody hell and good luck to you.

As a resident and biased to the hilt, Dumfries and Galloway have some great roads, and combined with the Borders you would have a great time around here. The roads up around Loch Lomond and Loch Ness at this time of year are quite busy and you will spend a fair amount of time following the many tourist mini / buses about. Where you are looking to head, is very touristy and best done earlier in the year, May being the best time. HAve you booked a hotel? Not always possible to just drop in around this time of year.

I can put you a belter of a route from North Berwick across to Portpatrick if your head is turned this way. And the best bit is that there will be buggar all traffic! Buccleuch Arms Hotel in Moffat,is a great biker friendly hotel run by a pal of mine, with secure bike storage.

Enjoy Scotland, what ever you decide.

If you decide to go north, after Fort William, turn left and head for Skye. Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh is a must-do road (one of my favourites) in Scotland and Eilann Donan Castle is worth the journey, iconic spot for taking picture with the bike in front of it. Over the bridge for another iconic picture with the bridge in the background from the skye side. Loch Ness is not that great to look at imho, and too many tourists, loads of chinese/yanks/japs evrywhere.

Another option is to go to Tyndrum (green welly) then Oban, then south to Lochgilphead around to Inveraray. That is a classic Scottish road. And definitely should be on anyone's to-do list of Scottish roads.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2018-7-31_11-56-28.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Tyndrum-Oban-Inveraray-Dunoon route - Belter of a day out, and again will be quiet.
    upload_2018-7-31_12-23-38.png

In fact, I want to go do this again, I love these roads.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am in agreement that your plan wastes precious time - a bit like an aircraft flying out 4 hrs, searching for 30 mins and flying back 4hrs. The important bit is ‘time on task’ not ‘time to task’.

I have lived all over the UK and from Northants in the time you have would aim to flog North of Leeds then carve a big figure of 8 through the Yorkshire Dales/Forest of Bowland and into the Scottish Borders via Carter Bar, Bonchester Bridge and the GMU route over to Moffat thence Dumfries and into the Stewartries. Off the main trunk roads it is superb biking territory.

Take a gander here:
    https://www.motorcyclescotland.com/

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

+1 avoid A75 thru D&G, its boring and full of unmarked cops and scamera vans:mad:,

but it keeps them off all the other roads :cool:

14. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    Thanks guys, really appreciate all the advice/comments. The route West from Berwick ("only" 285ish miles from home) looks interesting too. I might just play it by ear and see how I feel on the ride up there, and then decide.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Normally I would offer a meet n greet, if you did make it this way (D&G), but funnily enough I'm heading to Northampton tomorrow !!!:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: Be careful down there mate :(
    Some strange people down that way :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I’m for this area, went last year but went up to glen coe and down the west coast Lochgilphead and took the Dunoon ferry. Stopped at the anchor inn at garelochead for the night before heading north. You’ll kick yourself for only spending one day up there tho’
    Do the borders around keilder national park, st marys loch etc then do Scotland later when you’ve 3 days to ride around there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Beware of this offer! He offered the same to me and showed me some great roads, very quiet, he did have a shovel strapped to the back of his bike which made me a tad wary!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Apparently he is famously incontinent.......

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

No, That's Dilligaf !!! He of the tena man pants :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  21. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    No disgrace. Full of it masel’!

• Like Like x 1