Preparing for USA East Coast road trip with my Dad's 1970 Bonneville.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SublimePhotos, Jan 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SublimePhotos

SublimePhotos New Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    My amazing father sadly passed away a little over a year ago. He left me the only bike he ever owned, a 1970 Bonne 650. I'm planning on riding it roughly 1,800 miles along the coastline from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to my home in Key West, Florida. While preparing for this I have been formulating a list of possible issues to prepare for along with a replacement parts list of what I should pack with me as a spare. Any insight on this journey and parts list is much appreciated. Moreover, now that I'm out of the Military and have more freedom, I would like to plan a 11,000 mile trip around the US taking roughly 2.5-3 months on 0 highways. That is....after this east coast adventure goes well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    #2 Recycled Rocker, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Wow SP, over in UK, I'm officially jealous. Have had 1965 Bonnie and presently have 2009 Bonnie SE. Put a bike pic up here when yer have a min. Welcome aboard :upyeah:

As Mr Turners engine vibrate a bit,..bulbs, tie wraps, fuses, also instant puncture repair kit (if not tubed tyre) inc tyre inflator, solderless nipples for cables, (brake, clutch etc), chain adjusting spanners, 2 x adjustable wrench, insulation tape, spare innertube and tyre levers (if tyres tubed). Screwdriver set (type where blades are interchangeable with handle, and have both flat and crosshead ends).

• Like Like x 2
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum - good luck with the trip - I think we will all be jealous!

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You got that right!!

5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #5 SteveJ, Jan 14, 2015
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a great trip you have planned there and it's also a fantastic way to honour your fathers memory.

Best suggestion is to make sure you have done the preparation on the bike before you set out to help stop any issues you have on the way, so pretty much give the bike a full service and make sure it is running perfectly actually it might be worth having a chat to that Adam Cramer bloke from Liberty Vintage Motorcycles as he is in Philly somewhere.

Apart from that RR suggestions sounds good.

I take it that you won't be travelling for a couple of months as I'd guess it's not really biking weather in PA at the moment :wink:

Cheers

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #6 folkbloke, Jan 14, 2015
    Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine in September and it hurts.

Sounds like a great trip and a fine way to remember your Dad.

I don't know if you can get the Travel Channel over there but they ran a series of Great Motorcycle Rides (that appears to be on some kind of constant rotation!). One of those journeys was the East Coast down to Florida. If you can get hold of it it's worth a watch. Some people don't like the presenter Henry Cole but I rather warmed to him and his hissy fits and self-doubts.

He's also done a number of other USA rides that might prove useful.

Good luck and safe riding :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Hello, may I wish you a very warm welcome to the forum. Sounds like your going to have a great adventure.:upyeah:

8. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I know the reason is sad but I've just looked up your trip on Google Maps and it does look like a really great ride. Do you plan to do it in one hit or do you have time to do any sight-seeing? Some great names along the way - Washington, Richmond, Jacksonville, DAYTONA !!!!! and that amazing road from Key Largo to Key West.

ENJOY and send us loads of pics please,

Dave

10. Moshenfreke

Moshenfreke New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Stonington, Me
    I just joined. I owned a 1966 (bought new) trophy when I was in my late teens. Purchased a 1970 Bonneville out of California last year. Second owner. Congratulations on your coming ride. No better way to honor your father. I am servicing my bike now after it sat for 20 years in California. Any motorheads here? My original shop manual says valve lash cold for timing is .020. Then says tappet clearance is .002 cold for intake and then .005 for exhaust. Those clearances seem way to close to me. Anyone running one of these with experience on this. Am second owner and keeping the bike bone stock. Its a time capsule.

11. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    An excellent tribute to your father indeed!. Have a safe trip.

12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Start your own thread for more replies, mate.

13. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi welcome to the forum,i don't know how you managed to put your first post on this thread as it's over 3 years old and the original poster on this thread has not been on this forum for over 3 years:confused: as @Sprinter says it would be better for you to start your own thread as you will get a better response

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Moshenfreke

Moshenfreke New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Stonington, Me
    [QUOTE="Sprinter, post:

Thanks. I'm a bit of an oldie and don't know how to navigate these forums well. I will do that.

15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    In the headers go to ''Forum'', then ''Technical help''. then '' post new thread ''

16. Moshenfreke

Moshenfreke New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Stonington, Me
    Thanks for the advice. Must have some Brit in me as my 1970 Bonnie is worth more to me than a 100 new bikes. I lived with the Triumph legend for a few years in the sixties and wanted to go back there while the bones are still strong enough to kick start my Bonnie to life.

• Like Like x 4