Preload on Thruxton R Öhlins shock IS possible using the c spanners...

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by lex491, Aug 24, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lex491

lex491 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Switzerland
    I'm starting a new thread on this subject as it doesn't seem to have been properly worked out before.

This was of interest to me as I carry passengers & couldn't understand why Triumph would include tools that you couldn't use.

This is for information only & I take no responsibility if anyone chooses to do this themselves and damages their shocks or hurts themselves.

Basically it appears that you CAN set spring preload on your Thruxton R Öhlins shock with the c spanners provided by Triumph even though they (and all the dealers I've spoken to) don't seem to know exactly how to do it themselves.

The mechanics at Hess Motorrad in Bern spent some time figuring out how to adjust the preload on the Öhlins shocks on the Thruxton R. Kudos to them.

I took a video of it being done.

Note that the spanners are a fairly loose fit and it is possible to scratch the finish and also break off the corners of the indents if you put too much force in the wrong direction.

Therefore you do this at your own risk of marking or damaging your shock adjusters.

The Hess Moto mechanics managed to make a single click adjustment.

The manual says there are two adjustments, i.e. positions 1 (default), 2 (shown) & 3 (mentioned on p.101 in the manual)

The manual says to 'loosen the locking ring' which has led us all to think that you have to unscrew it.
    It seems that you don't.

The Hess Moto mechanics engaged both c spanners simultaneously and squeezed them in OPPOSITE directions to open the adjusters by one click-stop.

*SEE YouTube VIDEO to see the directions used by the Hess Moto mechanic*

Done correctly there is a smooth, though stiff, click-stop of adjustment.

It may be possible to open them one stage further but perhaps the increased spring pressure makes this too difficult. The c spanners are also quite short and, as previously stated, a loose fit, which makes them prone to slipping.

Hess Mottorrad felt that you should only do one click-stop. Further preload can be done with the shock removed & circlip setting altered.

You should ask your dealer to do this for you if you are not sure how to do it.

Don't do this unless you are prepared to accept some scratches and possible other cosmetic damage.

image.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Triumph set the rear spring compression for a mix of solo and two up riding, increasing spring compression for two up riding only could result in you having very little sag if you rode it solo.

3. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Triumph dealers should know how to do this, but if they don't,
    since they are Ohlins shocks, go to the horses mouth and ask Ohlins??

4. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    After reading this I kinda wish Triumph did include the spanners with my bike.

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You could always get them from Ohlins?

6. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Well done Lex, as I said before my dealership used a spring compressor and moved it to position 2 with a pilion it should be on 3 as per manual which of course is just a guide. I will keep mine on position 2 as it seems to work solo or two up, but her in doors is only a size 10 but if your passenger is a bit lardy then you may have to go to position 3 . As said before Triumph are not informing the dealerships, and this is not the first time that I have seen poor back up on there part. I do wonder if this is a general trend with manufactors these days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Lex
    Just wondered how you were getting on with your adjusted shocks? On your last picture it still shows two rings showing which would sujest, its still on the factory setting. Mine is now set on ring 2 which only leaves one ring showing at the top.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lex491

lex491 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Switzerland
    #8 lex491, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Hi Pottsy

I have not ridden the bike with a pillion with this adjustment yet. The c spanners are truly poor quality & don't fit at all well. I am looking for better ones before I start regularly setting my preload for carrying passengers. My wife is anyway quite light & I find that just changing the rebound & compression settings is sufficient for gentle pillion riding.

If you have had the shock removed & set up to only have one ring showing then you must be a lighter than average rider as you will have permanently taken pressure (preload) off the spring.

The factory setting suits my average weight so I will leave this alone. This is the 'base' setting or setting 1.

The point is if you then want to take a pillion you can temporarily increase the preload by using the c spanners to set the lower part of the outer rings into a choice of two detents. In the photo you can see the gap created at the first detent. This is pushing downwards from the circlip setting, further loading the spring.

The manual recommends position 3, the second detent, for pillions plus the rebound & damping adjustments. I have marked these settings with a little bits of sticky tape...

9. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Lex
    Ya mine is on the middle setting or setting two, after causing a small amount of cosmetic damage the first time I tried adjusting with said C spanners, I thought stuff this and took the bike back to the dealership. They had a go and could not undo the nuts either. So they and I went back to Triumph, who said that they can be adjusted with the spenners., but it was not an every day job as this was a cafe race bike that was not meant to be adjusted in this way, they carried on with a bit more bull shxt which bored me and the guys at the dealership. Anyway the boss went and purchased the correct size spring compressor, fitted on, compressed spring, took out collet and moved lock nuts up to middle setting replaced collect let off spring compressor, job done, took about 5 mins to do both sides.
    I would say that the ride now two up is more suitable for UK roads. If you are on a track day you might need to change but I dont do them so its not a problem for me. Just for info I come in at 13 stone my wife!!!!!!!!, well that used to be classified but 9 stone covers it.
    In a burn up with an R nine T last week did pop the front wheel two up, but that was probably as much to do with my hand on the throttle as apposed to the suspension set up.Let us know if you have any thoughts, you started a good thread.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Thanks for the input y'all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lex491

lex491 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Switzerland
    I did Taff. I sent them an e mail asking for clarification. No response.

12. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Disgraceful. Maybe you'll get more help from one of their "authorised" distributors near you??
    I can see instruction manuals for download on their website
    www.ohlins.com/support/manuals/motorcycle/owners-manuals/
    Dunno if your shocks are on this list though as I'm not familiar with the back of the new Thruxton.
    New bike should be supported by the dealer who sold it really!

• Like Like x 1
  13. lex491

lex491 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Switzerland
    I resent my email and have just had a reply from Öhlins, so my first email may have got lost in the system. So not disgraceful after all.
    I will post up my correspondence when I have more information.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I did mine last night, easy when pulling the right way, ive gone two clicks for a start , then i can always come back one.

15. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Wag
    So how many rings can you see at the top of the shock. If you have gone up two that would put you on setting three so no rings should be showing ! I think.

16. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Soz its tucked away now,i moved it two clicks-theres about1/2 inch gap now. I just rided about 20 miles and it felt better (you never know if you remembered the previous feeling properly though , a bit like adding 5bhp to a 120bhp bike !)

17. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Mines got 2 rings showing, I did a few hours today and it was great. Why, I even went to Plympton, I would've said but I didnae even decide till i'd set off(often the case ).Their used stuff seems to be all Triump. I saw an older bloke there with a silver R. I like the led winkers on the demo bike.

18. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    Thanks so much for posting real and useful information! So many places I've looked told me I could not increase my preload with the c- spanner and wouldn't you know your information worked as advertised. Much appreciated.

19. lex491

lex491 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I believe that the handbook on recent deliveries has been amended to correct the mis-information in the original. Also Öhlins themselves have the correct information on their website. In practice I've found that a light pillion is no problem on the stock settings as the bike is stiffly sprung to begin with.

Now all you need to watch out for is excessive rubbing by the spring on the black plastic sleeve on the bottom of the resevoir. The yellow covering wears through on the inside which isn't acceptable. Mine are being replaced under warranty. It seems newer bikes are being delivered with revised shocks that delete the black plastic sleeve.

20. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    Let's just say that I ride rather..."aggressively", the stock sport setup is too soft. I am 6 feet tall, about 13 stone without gear on for the ride. The rear preload is much too soft and limits ground clearance and cornering as well as experiencing excessive weight transfer under braking or acceleration. Rides great until 80% pace, after that it gets a bit ponderous. I should have a good suspension setup to report now that I can get the sag right.