Tiger 800 Potentially an XCx owner

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Aug 4, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi all, looking for feedback please.

Currently a 2010 T100 owner which I will keep forever, but I'm giving serious thought to buying a new Tiger 800 XCx.

Had a few GS's in the past so I'm used to this style of bike but I'm interested to get owners views of this machine.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi biggy, I'm thinking the same as I want to do a bit of touring. Probably not so modern but along the same lines. Glassenbacken used to have a bonnie and now has a tiger so he might be able to give some feedback

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #3 thebiglad, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Hi Crispey and thanks for that. I'll wait for a bit to see what contributions turn up, before contacting GB directly.

I've got a trial ride on an XRX booked for Saturday so even though it's not the exact bike I want it'll give me some idea of the bikes' touring potential.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'll be very interested in your thoughts

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No probs Crispey, I'll write a review after Saturdays test ride and go from there.

6. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I had a Tiger 1050 for a couple of years and I took an 800XC out several times as a loaner when my bike needed some work.

It was at the time I was going up to Basildon 2 or 3 times a week to see my Dad when he was ill so I ended up taking the XC on that journey 3 times and put nearly 500 miles on it over a few weeks. I know it wasn't an XCx but looking at the specs the x should be even better.

A very capable bike. Handled high speed on the motorway really well and and the smaller roads were a joy :)

The only reason I didn't swap my 1050 was that the XC was far too tall for me.

I hope the test goes well.

Cheers

Dick

• Like Like x 3
  7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dick, that's very helpful.

Over the next 3-5 years I'm going to be doing lots of touring and I reckon that I will need on occasion to be able to cruise all day at 130kph (about 85mph), with ease. Will the Tiger 800 XC do that? Are you able to comment on fuel consumption on motorway runs?

Cheers
    Dave

PS How's the writing coming along?

8. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    I have a Tiger800 roadie, so that's like a Tiger800 XR 2013 model.

yes it will cruise all day at 85mph, it's a great all rounder with good pillion accommodation, esp. with a topbox and backrest. I've done 11,000m and overall fuel consumption is 54mpg (I record all fuel going in), that's a mixture of riding conditions about half with pillion.

the roadie (XR & XRX) is not as tall as the XC (& XCX), but seat to pegs ergos are similar, in other words the XC has more ground clearance. I've never scraped pegs on my roadie. They're both very capable road tourers, I chose the roadie because I wanted cast wheels and tubeless tyres, the roadie also gives more road based tyre choice - in particular radial fronts eg. Pilot Road 4 trails. They will both go off road, but that's not really their point, they're a bit heavy and the power delivery a bit too high end. They have a lovely broad /flat torque curve but they're not low rev luggers.

choose the version that you like, either will please!

NB your biggest problem will be sorting out the screen, entirely rider dependant but many change to aftermarket screen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's excellent Davy, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I've got a test-ride booked on an XRX on Saturday,so really looking forward to that.

I'm favouring the look and equipment on the XCx in particular due to it's WhitePower suspension plus the off-roady kit. They are willing to give me quite a lot of what would be useful to me extras such as paniers/panier liner bags; tank bag etc but I need to be sure the bike will do what I need it to do.

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Interesting Dave - I'm having similar thoughts about getting a Tiger - for the same reasons - I'd like to do more touring on a more suitable bike.

Can't afford a new one but I might be able to stretch to a nice 1050 - the replacement Bonnie will have to wait until next year. Will probably have to sell the Trident then as I haven't got space for 3 bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  12. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi I swopped my Speed Triple for a new Tiger 800XC SE in march 2014. I went for the XC purely on looks and being tall I wanted plenty of leg room. I used the bike to tour and had the Triumph top box and panniers fitted.
    After the Speed Triple I found the performance of the Tiger 800 engine adequate but not super exciting, it would certainly hold 80 - 90mph on the French motorways fully loaded. Loved the smooth gearbox and over the 9000 miles I did on it I only had a stepper motor replaced under warranty.
    After riding in the Alps I was disappointed with the way the bike handled in both high and low speed corners; I had already changed the duel purpose tyres to the most road oriented tyres available for the 21" front wheel but in the end I lost confidence after a couple of cornering 'moments'. My honest advice to anyone buying a Tiger 800 is if you don't intend doing any off road riding (its too heavy for any serious off roading anyway) then buy the road version with the alloy 17"wheels.
    My other issue which became apparent when loaded was how top heavy the bike felt and even though I'm 6'3" tall and quite big I had a couple of near misses slow manoeuvring where I very nearly toppled over.
    I perhaps should have gone for the Tiger 1050 sport, I did test ride it but found the leg position too cramped (the reason I sold my Speed) I also was not into the 1050's looks where as the 800XC does look a great machine.
    Sadly I moved from the Triumph brand this year after being wowed by a Kawasaki Versys 1000 GT which I've now clocked 5000 miles on and still love.

• Like Like x 2
  13. glassbacken

glassbacken Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2014
    I'm on my second Tiger 800 now, got rid of the T100 to do more two up touring. Only done 500 miles on the XRx
    So can't help much, it's all day comfortable two up and great on the B roads. Cruise control won't be much use to
    me as I avoid motorways, I do use rider mode set to rain when it's wet, it smooths out throttle response nicely.
    I didn't get any extras with the bike even had to pay £25 for a tank pad!

• Like Like x 2
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
  15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Cheers, that's a helpful bit of information - I'm 5' 11" so the 1050 shouldn't be cramped for me.

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks Littleade, it's all sounding good so far ;)

17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I have to say they look nice

18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi LA, I've had a quick look at the Explorer when I went to the Triumph dealer, but it didn't grab me tbh. It looks and felt too heavy, too bulky. It's a far bit more money too !!

I like the 800 because it should have enough power but it is also quite light to manoeuvre by hand.

Incidently the dealer is also offering quite a collection of free stuff on the 800.

I've had a look at the 800 forum on this site but not yet tried anywhere else - good suggestion.

19. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex

Hi Dave,

Somehow I missed this yesterday and it seems a lot of the questions have been answered! I found the XC fine on the motorway up to Essex. Cruising at 85-90 was not a problem but the screen was not great (are they ever?).

I got better fuel consumption on the 800 than I got on my Tiger ( around 50 mpg).

Handling was good enough for me but I never rode it heavily loaded.

I'd suggest you have a think about the Tiger Sport as I think the Tiger 1050 is one of the most underestimated bikes and incredible value for money.

The blog about the trip is now complete and I'm in the process of putting together a post about a new song I've just done. You might have seen the completed blog but I've added a few links since I posted the original.

Had The Weather Been Different

Cheers

Dick

20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks for that LA, just the ticket. That first video illustrates perfectly why I want this bike - FREEDOM !!! To go where I want, when I want.