Speedmaster Possible New Sm Buyer... Questions/doubts

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by lapinobel, Apr 10, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lapinobel

lapinobel New Member

Apr 10, 2021
    Belgium
    Hi

I currently ride a Z900RS which I really love, apart from the fact that it is quite a 'nervous' engine characteristic and pretty short 1st en 2nd. I have been considering to get a more cruiser-like bike, not particularly for the forward controls or seating position, but more for an engine with a bit more grunt down low and longer ratio's. I tested a Thruxton RS and loved how that engine felt. According to the dealer, the Speedmaster has similar characteristics, except a bit less power.

Now, the new Speedmaster REALLY appeals to me, really really love the look. But... I read quite a few reviews and saw videos, and often people mention peg scraping as an issue. There's a LOT of roundabouts in Belgium and being used to the Z, I tend to lean quite a bit in the corners. So I wonder if the Speedmaster would be a good fit. Or should I get mid controls for it then?

Any insight is appreciated!

2. Kwacker

Kwacker New Member

Apr 12, 2021
    LEEDS
    Hi Iapinobel
    Re. Z900RS
    a. Change the drive sprocket to a 16T or even a 17T. This will remove the "nervous" feel and make the bike far more enjoyable on lower throttle settings in 1st and 2nd.
    b. Get rid of the "CAT" and have a re-map, which will remove certain Euro5 compliance issues...you will then have a bike that runs so much better than a standard bike...then buy your Triumph to complement your Kawasaki!

3. lapinobel

lapinobel New Member

Apr 10, 2021
    Belgium
    Thanks. I'm really in low with the look of the Bobber but I can't ignore the low clearance. A lot of reviewers, especially 'long term' ones, mention this as a clear negative and I really will not like that, knowing myself. If it wouldn't have this 'issue' (I know, depends on ride style, but what good is a very powerful and flickable bike if you can't use it?) I would buy it on the spot.