Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Poppies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DCS222, Oct 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2018
    Co,.Durham
    Hanging's too good for them, it's all over as soon as you pull the lever, they need lynching where you just pull them up on a tree branch and let them slowly strangle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BikerMan.
    Yes you got it hanging them. And again you're right what deterrent is there. Even if they get caught its a slap on the wrist or a cushy hotel like prison cell. Only blessing there is some of the old school type boys there will deal with them if they go to the right Hotel.
    God Bless
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    I find your post to be a great idea,

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BikerMan
    I still prefer you're rope idea.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    David
    Again I will pay to pull them up slowly.
    God Bless
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Fu#kin hell lads! :eek:

The last few posts have been a real eye opener & a window into your psyche! You're a right bunch of seriously unhinged, twisted, vigilantes! :eek:

Keep up the good work! :grinning:
    Oh.... Use barbed wire not rope. It digs in so there's less chance of the scrote falling out of your noose! :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad
    And if there's a few of them I know a good man on here I will ask to help me. You don't have to guess his name.
    God Bless
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DCS222

DCS222 Senior Member

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    Possibly getting a little bent away from the subject originally posted. I do feel anger towards the unknown perpetrators mentioned above; crime and retribution are probably best suited to a different thread...

But I’d be interested to know if the image of the red poppy, getting tied into similar emotions/opinions/politics may discourage some people with more moderate views from wearing one, in case they become associated with someone else’s ideals?

I personally would love to discuss the pros and cons of capital punishment, vigilante actions and ethnic generalisations without involving the poppy at all. I want my poppy to purely be money to the British Legion and a symbol that at that I remember and I am grateful for the soldiers who were prepared to lay down their lives for me/us.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DCS222.
    Maybe you misread. That dear old man was one of our hero's who came home to be treated like that. Do you think if someone had told him all those years ago before he volunteered he would have still felt the same. The poppy is more than revenue for the British Legion. I for one stand for the service they provide when my Wife passed away suddenly and I was left with three small toddler.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. DCS222

DCS222 Senior Member

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    Joe, I totally understand that the victim was a decorated 2nd World War serviceman ... and in no way should he have been treated so brutally, I have my own ideas of what should be done to such criminals... but a similar aged lady that may have been an antiWar protester/pacifist has just the same right to not be treated so brutally... just as my two children don’t. The fact he’s ex-serviceman doesn’t weigh any heavier on my personal ideas of what punishment should be handed out. To me, this then distances poppies from the “crime and retribution” discussion... (and almost all other political footballs tbh)

I totally agree that the British Legion are an amazing charity and the work they do is awesome. But they are a charity and I would like to see them collect as much funds as possible to do that work. If one political ideal becomes associated with the poppy, then opponents to that ideal would tend to not want to associate... potentially not buying the poppy, potentially not adding to the funds raised.

Whether you or I support the BNP or not is irrelevant, but images like this will repulse non-BNP supporters

6180DD53-2409-4BC7-921C-F78F5C48A3F4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DCS222.
    Yes fair enough but this is only my opinion. And any of us should be safe to walk the streets or sit in our own homes. And all people deserve this freedom. They don't have to be ex-service. But there must be some punishment for any crime like this. No I don't support any party and being Northern Irish I know how hatred festers. I support my home and Family. But go out there on the streets talk to any Police Officer of the record. They will tell you they are sick of bringing these creeps to court to see them walk out with a smirk on there faces.
    God Bless
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. DCS222

DCS222 Senior Member

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    I couldn’t agree more.

• Like Like x 2
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DCS222.
    And now this has been playing on my mind. And you know you are right. I should not have lowered this precious topic to these depths. If I have offended any member or person reading this please accept my humble apologizes. Generally I am a pacifist and gentle but now and then I get angry and stupid. Forgive me.
    God Bless All
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. DCS222

DCS222 Senior Member

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    No worries here dude, I admire your honesty!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Don't beat yourself up over it, I didn't help getting on my high horse, so I'm to blame as well.
    This thread is for the real hero's of the UK, and Commonwealth countries, not the scum we have in our country.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. David Cooper

David Cooper Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2018
    Co,.Durham
    And me, I've been watching to many cowboy films lately, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    Delvin Ireland
    [​IMG]
    Colin Stewart
    23 October at 07:26
    On November 7th, 1920, in strictest secrecy, four unidentified British bodies were exhumed from temporary battlefield cemeteries at Ypres, Arras, the Asine and the Somme.

None of the soldiers who did the digging were told why.

The bodies were taken by field ambulance to GHQ at St-Pol-Sur-Ter Noise. Once there, the bodies were draped with the union flag.

Sentries were posted and Brigadier-General Wyatt and a Colonel Gell selected one body at random. The other three were reburied.

A French Honour Guard was selected and stood by the coffin overnight of the chosen soldier overnight.

On the morning of the 8th November, a specially designed coffin made of oak from the grounds of Hampton Court arrived and the Unknown Warrior was placed inside.

On top was placed a crusaders sword and a shield on which was inscribed:

"A British Warrior who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918 for King and Country".

On the 9th of November, the Unknown Warrior was taken by horse-drawn carriage through Guards of Honour and the sound of tolling bells and bugle calls to the quayside.

There, he was saluted by Marechal Foche and loaded onto HMS Vernon bound for Dover. The coffin stood on the deck covered in wreaths, surrounded by the French Honour Guard.

Upon arrival at Dover, the Unknown Warrior was met with a nineteen gun salute - something that was normally only reserved for Field Marshals.

A special train had been arranged and he was then conveyed to Victoria Station, London.

He remained there overnight, and, on the morning of the 11th of November, he was finally taken to Westminster Abbey.

The idea of the unknown warrior was thought of by a Padre called David Railton who had served on the front line during the Great War the union flag he had used as an altar cloth whilst at the front, was the one that had been draped over the coffin.

It was his intention that all of the relatives of the 517,773 combatants whose bodies had not been identified could believe that the Unknown Warrior could very well be their lost husband, father, brother or son...

THIS is the reason we wear poppies.

We do not glorify war.

We remember - with humility - the great and the ultimate sacrifices that were made, not just in this war, but in every war and conflict where our service personnel have fought - to ensure the liberty and freedoms that we now take for granted.

Every year, on the 11th of November, we remember the Unknown Warrior.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

• Like Like x 10
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    Delvin Ireland
    Just found this and thought it was appropriate .................

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. David Cooper

David Cooper Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2018
    Co,.Durham
    My father and two of his brothers served in the Burma campaign, thankfully they came back home, and my dad always told me to remember this.

60e93abb2f48551bfa389b6797fd3716-d85t5t8.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  20. BB3Lions

BB3Lions Walk a mile in my shoes
    Subscriber

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    • Like Like x 4