Poppies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DCS222, Oct 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

And me, I've been watching to many cowboy films lately, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    [​IMG]
    Colin Stewart
    23 October at 07:26
    On November 7th, 1920, in strictest secrecy, four unidentified British bodies were exhumed from temporary battlefield cemeteries at Ypres, Arras, the Asine and the Somme.

None of the soldiers who did the digging were told why.

The bodies were taken by field ambulance to GHQ at St-Pol-Sur-Ter Noise. Once there, the bodies were draped with the union flag.

Sentries were posted and Brigadier-General Wyatt and a Colonel Gell selected one body at random. The other three were reburied.

A French Honour Guard was selected and stood by the coffin overnight of the chosen soldier overnight.

On the morning of the 8th November, a specially designed coffin made of oak from the grounds of Hampton Court arrived and the Unknown Warrior was placed inside.

On top was placed a crusaders sword and a shield on which was inscribed:

"A British Warrior who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918 for King and Country".

On the 9th of November, the Unknown Warrior was taken by horse-drawn carriage through Guards of Honour and the sound of tolling bells and bugle calls to the quayside.

There, he was saluted by Marechal Foche and loaded onto HMS Vernon bound for Dover. The coffin stood on the deck covered in wreaths, surrounded by the French Honour Guard.

Upon arrival at Dover, the Unknown Warrior was met with a nineteen gun salute - something that was normally only reserved for Field Marshals.

A special train had been arranged and he was then conveyed to Victoria Station, London.

He remained there overnight, and, on the morning of the 11th of November, he was finally taken to Westminster Abbey.

The idea of the unknown warrior was thought of by a Padre called David Railton who had served on the front line during the Great War the union flag he had used as an altar cloth whilst at the front, was the one that had been draped over the coffin.

It was his intention that all of the relatives of the 517,773 combatants whose bodies had not been identified could believe that the Unknown Warrior could very well be their lost husband, father, brother or son...

THIS is the reason we wear poppies.

We do not glorify war.

We remember - with humility - the great and the ultimate sacrifices that were made, not just in this war, but in every war and conflict where our service personnel have fought - to ensure the liberty and freedoms that we now take for granted.

Every year, on the 11th of November, we remember the Unknown Warrior.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Just found this and thought it was appropriate .................

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. David Cooper

Subscriber

My father and two of his brothers served in the Burma campaign, thankfully they came back home, and my dad always told me to remember this.

60e93abb2f48551bfa389b6797fd3716-d85t5t8.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    My grandfather was killed in France in 1916 and is buried at Pozieres cemetery.My uncle, my father's twin, (his youngest son) was killed at Normandy in 1944 and was brought back home and is buried at Newbold on Stour.
    Their names are on the memorial at Newbold and I go with my partner every year to attend the parade and pay our respects.
    I wear my poppy with pride and place poppy crosses for both of them at the memorial. it is always very emotional for me.
    Their name liveth for Evermore.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham

7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes to all. I got carried away but now back on the earth. You all are great people and our Hero's will always be remembered. My grandad fought and came home and being Irish had another fight as he lost all his rights to pensions and housing. He had to relocate to the North. He was my Hero all the time. All my Mum's Family were serving members during the second world war. And now my promise to you all is I will never lower this topic again and will wear my poppy with pride.
    God Bless you all.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  8. David Cooper

Subscriber

Tommy,
    All dressed up up and ready for tomorrow.

Screenshot_20181110-155320[177].png

• Like Like x 12
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Local Church has hand knitted then sewn these Poppies. It must have taken hours and days. IMG_20181111_110055304.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Just back from my local parade, great turn out and beautifil service.

I remain disappointed at the number of the community that just went about their normal business without a thought for the event or those who gave so much so that they could continue with the freedom they enjoy.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Taken today at Newbold on Stour at the memorial after the service. Lest we forget.
    20181111_110826.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    So that no one else has to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    On the way home this afternoon I saw the M60 Ring of Red motorbike ride. They were doing the M60 clockwise, I was on the opposite carriageway. They had about 3,000 bikes in all, according to their facebook page. It was heartwarming to see so many bikers paying tribute to our service personnel. The bridges over the motorway were lined with onlookers waving as the bikes passed underneath, their waves being returned of course. It's good to be a biker.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Do you have a youtube account? If not you need to create one. Once done you will need to load (if I remeber correctly) as a public video. Once done you can copy the URL into your post and it should play. Been a while since I done this but I think that is about it.........
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Not related to poppies but kind of on theme.
    The Somme, Secret Tunnel Wars, find it on iplayer, BBC4, was shown on November 1st. Fascinating insight into the tremendous efforts put into tunnelling as a weapon of war.

• Like Like x 3
  16. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    As with all you guys I would have proudly gone and probably either still be under the earth on the Somme or have come back changed by the experience.. A relative selflessly gave up her whole life to look after her brain damaged brother kicked in the head by a mule on the battlefield so the sacrifice spread like the ripples on a pond. I am touched by the yearly commemoration shown by the French & Belgians for the Armistice and if anything makes us European it is seeing that joining of hands to honour those who gave their all. Angela Merkel put her head on Macron's shoulder in a touching show of remembrance and what looked like regret, so if anything can help stop another European War the seeds are there. The Red Poppy is the symbol of past generations sacrifice and at 66 I wear mine with great pride and remembrance as does my 21 year old daughter... people who are disrespectful or dismissive are sadly missing out on one of the great meanings of life but are not to be blamed or criticised. Apols not much motorbiking about this post but had to write it ... biking does however bring me more into contacts with the elements... of which life and death in whatever form are part.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2