Poor Starting.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ian Cousins, Mar 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ian Cousins

Ian Cousins New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Wales
    Hi all. I'm new to the site and to Triumph's. I've got me an 11 plate speed triple the round head lamp version.
    New to me last year, only covered a few hundred miles before garaging for the winter.

I now have trouble starting. Key in, all lights bright and all gizmo noises sound fine. Clutch in, hit the button. Cranks for a couple of seconds then stops. And goes quite for a second then does the self check noises again.
    I can repeat this process but won't fire. I Haven't tried bump starting and to be honest I think it would. I haven't got any test equipment but I'm leaning towards a worm battery.
    Anyone with similar fault that can shine some light?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Have you charged the battery since its been standing all winter?

3. Ian Cousins

Ian Cousins New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Wales
    Trying that now, it's on a trickle charge. So I'll be able to try again in about 10 hours...

4. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Always check the easy stuff first, sounds like a flat battery.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Yup Check battery first then all Earths next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Fill her up with fresh fuel!!!

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Triumphs are very sensitive to batteries that aren’t perfect, try yours fully charged if it starts check its charging properly and holding its charge. If neither get a new one. Even if all appears fine I’d be prepared to buy a new one

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Ian.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

giphy (3).gif

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Welcome Ian,
    I’d say battery, 99% sure.
    Charge it, fire her up and check voltage. Probably winter has effected the battery, might need replacement though..
    Enjoy your excellent choice!

10. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Batteries lose charge over time if just sitting. Totally normal. And if left uncharged will actually slowly damage the battery. Best to hook up a maintenance charger whenever you are not riding. With a maintenance charger my batteries have always lasted many years.

11. Ian Cousins

Ian Cousins New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Wales
    Ok. After a charge she starts. Not sure how old the battery is. Don't won't it letting me down so a new one is going on.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Glad its sorted fella, as said it pays to check the simple stuff first.:)

13. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    I'm still having starting issues from time to time, but has gotten alot better since getting a new battery at the triumph dealer and from running 93 Octane. Next step is to change spark plugs and air filter. Since, disconnecting aftermarket tankbag electronics and running 93 octane, I have not had a time where the bike absolutely refused to start; "knock on wood" but, that's not to say that there have not been times where it just went, click, no starter noise, then after just rolling bike back and forward, am able to start. Hopefully, I'll find some fouled plugs or a dirty air filter on this 07 Speed Triple, and hopefully it is not an electronic issue.

Here's a great link for parts though: https://www.worldoftriumph.com/ then click on parts

Happy trails,

Stacy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Check the wiring into the starter solenoid and the starter motor earth

15. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    Thanks I’ll look for how to that. If you know how, and if it’s not much trouble, please tell me how, ok?

16. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    The other thing it could be is a faulty kill switch, if you are feeling a bit out of your depth investigating this then perhaps it’s worth taking it to a professional for them to diagnose, sounds like it’s something simple.

17. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    No idea on a Speed Triple, had a similar problem on a Ducati 600SS though and it was the connection into the solenoid which causing the trouble.

18. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    I had similar experience, and everything seemed fine, and I do not want to jynx you; but, it returned, and is still present even after a new Yuasa Battery and being on trickle charger. Sometimes no sound when press start, sometimes just a faint click, only one click, and then sometimes the starter engages and sounds weak. going to check wiring from starter switch to solenoid, and maybe try replacing solenoid first, no idea how to tell if wiring is bad or where you would see that. Saw another post about a wire or something under the airbox, the bike would be totally awesome if it was reliable. When she runs now, she is running great. But therein lies the rub, getting the dang thing started.

19. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    Main cause of start issue was clutch cutout switch was not flush

20. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Result, not unusual for those to cause issues, but you got it solved I hope.