Poor Cold Starting

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Rainman, Sep 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Hello to all - got a problem with the 2004 T100 that I recently bought. When I picked it up it took ages before the engine ran well enough to put the choke fully home but I just thought as the bike had been stood up for quite a while it just needed a good blast which I gave it on the 30 mile trip home. Since having it my workshop I have carried out a fair bit of maintenance including swapping the Norman Hyde Togas over from my 2001 Bonnie and changing the main jets to 120’s and also taking out the pilot jets and cleaning them. Have also fitted an AI removal kit and done the crankcase breather mod.

However the poor starting remains as before - the bike fires up on the near side cylinder then after about 20 - 30 seconds the offside cylinder kicks in I have to then leave it for around 5 mins running with the choke out before it will Rev cleanly and after that it runs fine ...

Just can’t think what could be causing this and wondered if any of you have had the same issue ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Have you put a fresh set of spark plugs in it ?. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Good morning Wire-Wheels thanks for that suggestion and no I haven’t I just cleaned up the old ones and re set the gaps but admit it’s one of the things I had been thinking of trying next...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Ok just tried a nearly new spark plug from the other Bonnie and no difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #5 Callumity, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    I suspect dirt; plain and simple. A £3 aerosol of carb cleaner from Euro Car parts or £7 from Halfords wants to reverse blast the little apertures in the floor of the carb venturi. Carb shown not quite identical but you get the idea.

BF168C89-896A-40A0-AF6E-E4404F754DE2.jpeg

If it doesn’t work check the exhaust header temps. The crossover pipe can deceive. You just might have an ignition coil on the blink affecting both sides intermittently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Thanks Callumity I am now also suspecting contaminated/old fuel as I think the bike sat for a long time without being used - when I took off the float bowls to change the main jets I saw a bubble of something odd in the bottom of one of the bowls which may have been water now I come to think of it. The previous owner filled up the tank for me when he got the MOT done but perhaps it would be wise to drain all the fuel out and re fill with fresh, I just tested the offside cylinder spark by firing up the bike with the offside plug still in the cylinder but put the HT lead on a spare plug and the spark look pretty consistent. When I took the other plug out of the O/s cylinder after the spark test it was wet with fuel but I suppose if bubbles of water had condensed inside the tank during standing there may be a whole load more in there...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Old fuel? Not only might you have water contamination but the most volatile fractions of the fuel (that ignite most easily) will have evaporated off.
    Use the Allen keyed drain plug in each float bowl to drain off the contents (fuel tap off) and top off the tank with fresh then open the tap..... a small glass vessel to collect the float bowl contents will let you see what may have been lurking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #8 Wire-Wheels, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    I rescued my America from a garage where it had been sleeping for what the owner said was "two or three years". Old fuel still in the tank. The seller said he charged the battery before I came. It would start, but barely run, shooting large flames out the right exhaust.[bang\ pop\etc.]. I emptied the tank and put in fresh fuel, installed new plugs. The carburetor slides were a bit stick at first. I was lucky on that one. My rescued 2000 Legend was a bit more work. The seller had installed a new battery and clean fuel. I still had to disassemble the carbs and clean them, replace a damaged airbox, install new ignition coils. [it would not run right when it was cold either]. When you buy these orphans you are usually buying what someone else gave up on. I own three ex- orphans. .J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Ok bike back together now and went for a test ride this evening. From cold still got no ignition on the offside cylinder For a few seconds then it kicks in Ran it on choke fast idle for about 5 mins then took to the road.

So goes like a rocket except a cough and splutter when accelerating from low speeds and also when blipping the throttle at tick over once hot - it’s like there is an issue during the transition from Idle jets to main jets. I have fitted 120 mains and the isles have been cleaned and are standard size.....

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    “Isles” = Idles!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,not mentioned but worth checking,balancing the carbs might also help.
    My T100 was way out,you can buy the kit online and it’s very simple if you’re confident in this sort of thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    have you checked the HT lead and plug cap on the affected cylinder.. I had a similar problem years ago with a CB250 Honda...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Hi Callumity - that is true but I’m sure it’s connected with the starting on one cylinder issue - I feel a carbs removal job is on the cards as even though I’ve removed and cleaned the pilot jets there could still be some crap intermittently blocking the jet drilling. Can’t see a way to spray carb cleaner into those drilling’s in the lower part of the carb inlet without removing the rubber Air box connectors and don’t think that will give me enough room to access those drilling’s even then ?

Chris - yes checked the ht leads with a pair of those see through lead testers and spark good on both cylinders even when offside cylinder not firing - have put new plugs in and no difference...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yes, you need to ease the carbs out of airbox and inlet rubbers and rotate the carbs on their cables and fuel lines.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    then I have to agree that for some reason it has to be fuel starvation.... some unwarranted flake of crap blocking then clearing or a sticking needle in the jet... carb off, clean and inspect i'm afraid.... good old.. check the float bowl, the float, the jets, the needle, the diaphram and spring etc etc etc ...bloody annoying though - keep smiling at least you know it does run 8)

17. Rainman

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Yes goes like a rocket after it stops farting about - fitted at 18 tooth front sprocket too!
    Ok Callumity that sounds a good starting point before taking them off completely- would it be a good idea to undo the inlet manifold bolts too?