Poll - Have You Had Bonnie Engine Gearbox Issues?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by CJExpat, Jan 10, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Pete B

Pete B New Member

Oct 21, 2022
    new jersey
    I have a 22 street twin with 3000 miles on it and its getting hard to get in first gear from neutral, dangerous at a lite in trafic, I have an 81 yamaha xs650 that shifts better than this triumph

2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Both my Street Scramblers have quite a clunky 2nd to 3rd shift, other than that no issues.

3. KENNY MCLEOD

KENNY MCLEOD New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Glasgow
    Hi Pete got my fixed I bought the part from Triumph £82 for the shaft with all the washers, springs, pivot plate, also had to buy oil, and new gasket. My local mechanic sorted the issue, the pivot plate was very slightly worn at the teeth, my mechanic says it's a bad design, the movement between the pivot plate and the wheel is so tight that if any one of the teeth on the pivot plate are scratched or minutely chipped you'll have a problem up or down shifting, he hopes it was just a bad batch of softer metal used for the pivot plate if not triumph owners may have a problem down shifting on all models??. I supplied the parts mechanic charged me £180
    Hope you get yours sorted cheers Kenny

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. KENNY MCLEOD

KENNY MCLEOD New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Glasgow
    Hi Peg scraper my problem started trying to get out of second into neutral at the lights then took a few clicks to get into first, but never really thought anything about it, it was a couple of rides later that it got stuck in 3rd I could go up just wouldn't downshift, I finally got it back down to the 3rd, made my way home stopped the bike and messed with the clutch pedal till I got it in neutral.. Cheers Kenny

5. Pete B

Pete B New Member

Oct 21, 2022
    new jersey
    Hi Pegscraper, my bike shifts up and down through the gears ok now, its just getting out of neutral thats a problem, it just started getting bad , havent yet talked to the dealer about it, its a shame, other then that its a great bike

6. Pete B

Pete B New Member

Oct 21, 2022
    new jersey
    Thanks Ken for the info, sad to take a bike apart with 3000 miles on it, my xs has 40,000 miles and the only thing thats been apart is the charging system and the carbs, many times, my bikes a 22 so im going to see what is covered under the warranty, thanks again ride safe

7. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow

8. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    #28 Eddie17, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    I had this problem too . I kind of knew it was coming after seeing Stuart Fillingham on you tube . It happened with 3,200 miles on the clock and just six months out of warranty. Was at a loss what to do with it until found out Triumph were opening up a new dealership again in Glasgow. I took it in at the beginning of October 2022 and they managed to get a fix by replacing the detent spring and spur wheel ,clutch cover gasket with a goodwill warranty on the parts only . I got it back, 1st of November, and it seems to be working fine. Cost me 3hrs labour with parts supplied by Triumph .

I got a brake fluid change done at the same time . Also because took it so long(nearly a month) I phoned the dealership on the 22nd Oct to say the MOT would run out on the 25th Oct just in case the Technician needed to take it out on the road .They thanked me for that and said it be £30 for the MOT, I was charged another half hours labour somewhere , I think it was for them to take it to a Harley Davidson test station. Was the labour cost more than the MOT ?

Triumph had brought out a Technical Bulletin in 2019 with the suspected part on it (wear and tear pivot plate). Triumph definitely knew!!!

I bought the T100 new from Triumph Glasgow in late 2019 with all their advertising about reliability etc. For me that’s not the case the bike has broken down three times and laterally developed the downshift gear issue!

I have no gripe with the new Triumph dealership just Triumph. When you spend over £9000 on a new bike you should get reliability and if not,people should know !!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. KENNY MCLEOD

KENNY MCLEOD New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Glasgow
    Hi Eddie this sounds the exact same to my T120 I emailed West Coast Triumph they told me I would have to bring it in for diagnostic, but said they suspect the pivot plate on the gearshift shaft, I bought the parts and my local mechanic fixed it for me, but if you go on line and try buy the part required it's sold out, funny that! Someone's buying them

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    Hi Kenny
    It is the exact same issue.When I first contacted West Coast and explained what I thought it was they said they had not heard of this . I am only guessing that they gleamed off my bike your gear problem could have been the same issue.
    Anyway I think they did a good repair and it seems fine . Took it to Fife and back last week(to see another bike) and no issues. It is poor on Triumphs part.
    Hope your happy with fix for your bike.
    Eddie

11. Pete B

Pete B New Member

Oct 21, 2022
    new jersey
    Good evening boys, an update on my shifting problems, I spoke to the service dept at the dealer and he said he hadent heard about my problem on the 22 st's but mentioned the parts kit for fixing issues on the 1200's, right now mine doesnt seem to be getting any worse, I find if I shift down to 1st and it doesnt go after a couple of taps, if I let the clutch out and pull it back in it will go right into gear on the next click, I might play with the clutch adjustment, maybe get it to engage a little further out in the travel, although the clutch doesnt seem to be draging, I dont know, just an idea, fortunatly its not a big issue yet, must say ive been having a blast riding the heck out of this thing, handles great sounds awsome, weather has been great for the month of nov. here on the east coast of the US, although not for much longer, well, cheers mates, hope your enjoying the football

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    I hope it doesnt become an issue for you at least it didn't stop you from getting out .Weather here now needs the gritter lorries so I won't be going out much. The football has been really good and enjoying it even though my team not in it .

13. Pete B

Pete B New Member

Oct 21, 2022
    new jersey
    me too, hopefully its just the way this bike shifts, being aware of the issue makes it less of a problem, put 100 miles on it this afternoon and it ran great, supposed to snow a bit on sunday so they'll be salting the roads here also, makes it a mess till spring, take care now

• Like Like x 1