Touring Please Recommend Travelling Through Southern England

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by T-Bird, Dec 30, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    Hello everyone,
    I will be travelling from Germany to my daughter on the south-west coast of Ireland in May 2024; I would like to take part in the DGR in Cork on 19 May 2024.
    The first day after the ferry will end in Brighton - from there I can take 3-4 days, it's probably just under 500km to Fishguard.
    2 days with 250km each, there is still time for some tourism, so I would like your help and tips (sights, must-see roads, where to stay, where to eat, etc.).
    What I leave behind in my ignorance on the way there, I can visit on the way back, so I might even have more time.

Bugs free :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Active Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    #3 MightyBoosh, Dec 30, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    Your route will obviously take you across south Wales. You should have time for a bit of a detour, so consider cutting north towards Abergavenny and using the A40 west for a while. Then take the A4069 Black Mountain road* to hook you up with westbound road towards St Clears etc. You could also turn towards the coast around Tenby and see some pretty splendid beaches and bays, if you don't mind a little walk. Are you camping or using hotels?

*if you ever watched Top Gear you may recognise parts of this road.

Ha! Looking at the link supplied by @littleade and sure enough, there it is

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-content/black-mountain

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    From Brighton if you want to keep off the boring A27 and head towards Winchester I'd reccomend this route, from the A27 take the A283 at Shoreham-by-sea, through Washington, theres a Triumph shop there, through Storrington then left onto Greatham Lane to Greatham on up to A285 and turn left then right, bit countrified, through Selham the turn left onto A272, fairly fast but some nice roads, stopping at Loomies for lunch, junction A272 and A32, its a popular biker cafe. If you say which day you'll be there you might find some local members will come and visit.
    route.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    #5 T-Bird, Dec 31, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2023

6. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Active Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    Fine, just wondered really. @crispey's route is a decent looking ride, and Winchester is a good place to stop. Lots of history. I'd like to do the South Downs Way path sometime. 160km walk from Winchester to Eastbourne. You could also consider making Arundel a coffee/lunch stop after you leave Brighton, lovely old town and castle. From Winchester you could make a stopover second night in Abergavenny. Great location surrounded by big hills, you could ride pretty much to the top of Blorenge for a bit of a view. Some nice grill/bistro type places to eat in town. And maybe get some Welsh cakes from the market. If you stop in Wales you must try them, along with Bara Brith :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Just up the road to Brecon from Abergavenny

https://royalwelshmuseum.wales/

Home of the Rouke's Drift South Wales Borderers and Welsh regiments. Only a small museum but if you've seen the film Zulu....... if you are interested in that sort of stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  8. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    Wow, nice ideas :) - as I'm still planning depending also a bit on the peolpe to meet near Brighton - may someone recommend any portal for B+B booking for lone riders like me?

9. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    I wouldn't recommend anyone go to Wales while they have that 20mph speed limit. They are keen on chasing you down for fines for going 1mph over to make up for their overspending. Keep a keen eye on that clock...
    If you haven't been this way before then there are few places worth checking out. Loomiescafe.co.uk is a biker haunt on the South Downs, it's your standard breakfast greasy spoon but lots of bikes there. Some nice roads with great views of the South Downs. Follow the A303 to Stonehenge. Lunch at Glastonbury, for a quick visit to Cheddar Gorge if you like cheese. Try the cave aged cheddar. If you fancy you can check out the The Royal Oak Swallowcliffe, Half owned by James May, food and beer is good though not on the cheep side. With two days in hand you can cover quite a lot on this little island. as your in Wales the Snowdonia national park is stunning. There is the Talyllyn Railway worth a visit www.talyllyn.co.uk and just up the coast is Portmeirion. Famous for its pottery, Italian village and the TV series Prisoner.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire

Facebook

roukes drift.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    To be honest. I wouldn’t recommend riding down south. Far too crowded. Get yourself North as quickly as you can. Better scenery, less traffic, fewer people.
    Perhaps you could look at getting the Rotterdam-Hull ferry to England and then the Cairnryan-Belfast ferry. A much better ride across from Hull to Cairnryan. Less than 300 miles too. You would also get to visit Scotland and Northern Ireland. Both of which have fantastic riding.

• Like Like x 3
  12. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    [QUOTE="Glenn2926, post: 631252, member: 23963"
    Perhaps you could look at getting the Rotterdam-Hull ferry to England and then the Cairnryan-Belfast ferry. A much better ride across from Hull to Cairnryan. Less than 300 miles too. You would also get to visit Scotland and Northern Ireland. Both of which have fantastic riding.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, also makes me curious - but honestly I also have to wait on what happens to an old friend down with cancer at Brigthon... My intention to visit her on way to Ireland, leaving any option for another stay at way back. Maybe even the last.
    So that Route is on list of 2025 ;-)

• Like Like x 1