Touring Planning next years euro trip anyone ?

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by andypandy, Nov 5, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Cheers foxy

2. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    North Italy (Dolomites) 3 days there and same back, night in France night in Black Forrest over Timmelsjoch pass and you are there. Getting there is part of the holiday, leave the train for commuting.

Teejay

3. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    That sounds amazing.
    Would love to go to Canada,no point it keep putting it off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Tim as your in the Triumph myroute-app group you will be able to see the route I'm doing, i put it under "Canada Tour"
    i put it there so i could check out the roads with the googly man. and they do look fantastic.i always fancied going skiing in Banff,Jasper or Whistler but never made it.be great to visit them

• Like Like x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I'm expecting to do Hull - Rotterdam - Eiffel - Black Forrest - Interlaken and return in June on my own. You are more than welcome to tag along(as is anyone). I like to take my time. I've been to France a couple of times on the bike and stacks of times in the car. I need to get more bike trips in while I can.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #86 MickEng, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    I have stayed in Cracow and visited Auschwitz and the salt mines.
    Both sites not to be missed.
    Before you go read the book 'Auschwitz, The Nazis and the Final Solution' by Laurence Rees and prepare yourself.
    The final chapter informs you of the prolonged agony the inmates had to endure once released, finding their homes and possessions occupied by unsympathetic parasites.
    Like all races, there are good and bad people.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #87 Dougie D, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    I ‘ve been a couple of times in the early 70s with my parents and some Polish friends from Scotland, he drove all the way, and did a lot of touring about Poland staying at various relatives of his Polish friends, we spent a few days at Swinoujscie on the border with Germany at the Baltic sea, at that time unless you were Polish or had Polish friends/relatives it wouldn’t have been on most people’s holiday list. the beach there was lovely, although it was deserted and they still had the watch towers dotted about. It really was like stepping back in time (chickens running about in the Kitchen, outside lavies etc) and everything was so ridiculously cheap. it’s all changed now and much more westernised, but I do remember they were nice people and would do anything for you. We also visited among other places Krakow, Wroclaw, Katowice, Warsaw ,Gdansk, My parents didn’t take me to Auschwitz as they had been on a previous visit and didn’t think it would suitable for youngsters to see, I think nowadays they have tidied things up a bit .ie the piles of teeth,hair,clothing,finger nails etc are now in cabinets and they have made it a bit more visitor friendly (maybe not the right word) although it will still shock. The town of Zakopane would be worth visiting it’s near the Tetra mountains

My sister in law is Polish so the next time I see her I’ll ask her if she could recommend any places as a must see for you

• Like Like x 2
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Bikerman,
    I never actually took any pictures, and I cannot remember wether it was allowed or not.
    I like history and I read and watched a lot of Auschwitz material before visiting for a full day.
    Anybody in denial should be publicly flogged by relatives of the inmates.
    The barbarity of the Kapos against their own people, the continuous development of a killing 'factory' to be more effecient by an educated race of people, the medical experiments conducted by eminent doctors, the treatment of the survivors by their own people following release, the inhumane categories go on and on.
    It is a day spent contemplating how it could ever have been allowed to happen on such a scale conducted with such a brutality and disregard for life.
    That some races and religions are still suffering the same atrocities albeit on a smaller scale still continues to blight the human race.
    I can only say that I feel better as a person for visiting Auschwitz and it is an atrocity that must never be forgotten.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Somewhere i've got a guide book of Auschwitz that my parents got when they visited in the late 60s,i'll have to have a hunt and see if i can find it, i do think it's a good thing it is open to the public as a reminder and a warning on how evil the human race can be, and hopefully it will prevent anything like this ever happening again

• Like Like x 2
  10. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Bikerman, If you're interested in visiting WW2 camps and are riding anywhere near Berlin you might want to take a detour to a camp called Sachsenhausen near or in a town called Oranienburg. It is quite well preserved and still contains among other things the white tiled operating tables where gruesome things were done including skinning people with tattoes. Huts with bunks, toilets etc and many other things are intact. It is a very sad place to see but I think people should see for themselves what happened. I think it's just about 25 miles or so north of Berlin.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I didn't take any pics when I went last May, just wanted to remember it as it was. There are signs where you can't take pics but some people were ignoring them, I could barely stop myself from speaking out. Such disrespect. Amazingly, a lady of the cloth took a selfie in the crematory at the end of the Auschwitz tour:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  12. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    When are you going,we're hoping to get to Switzerland at the end of June,doing the Black Forrest on the way back.

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    found the guide book with a map of Auschwitz
    20170213_194108_edited-1.jpg 20170213_194818_edited-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I was in Cracow a couple of years ago, at night time I found myself feeling like a beer or three and found a surface bar, as opposed to the popular cellar bars which were difficult to see across on account of fag smoke, it was called The Bull Pub, really enjoyed it in there.

Curly

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i was speaking to my sister in law yesterday,her family are from Gdansk which is up near the Baltic sea and so she wasn't to familiar with the south although she did say that Bieszczady mountains which is in south east of Poland and about 200 miles from Zakopane are supposed to be a popular place for bikers, As for a route from Zakopane to Prague the likes of myroute-app would be great for plotting a route (If you have a sat nav) myroute-app also has the google man where you can check all the roads out,you can spend ages looking at all the differant routes, but i find that bit quite enjoyable.Do you know where you will be taking the ferry from? it will be interesting to see the route you take to get to Zakopane,How long are you planning on going for?

16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It is annoying that the google man can't have a look at the roads in Germany and Austria..just have to rely on the old fashioned way:(

17. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    16th - 25th June. Not booked yet though.

18. TK3059

TK3059 Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Worcester UK
    Hi all... just joined the forum and finally planned and executed my first Euro tour.. admittedly its with www.bneuropeantours.com and its a WW2 guided tour, but for my first abroad endeavor, dipping my toe so to speak, I reckon it'll be just what I need.

It'll be all around the Normandy area, stopping in different hotels every night.. only bugbear is that we have to book our own ferries over.. as has been said a few times, prices fluctuate but were planning on potentially doing Calais - Dover and vice versa on the return and then ride down to Caen/Oustriheam where the pick up and meeting point is.

Saying that I'm looking forward to it is an understatement !

Cheers,
    Mike.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You'll love it, I went there in May 2004 just before the 60th anniversary of D day. Stayed in Pont L'Eveque and ventured out along the coast each day visiting most of the landing sites and cemeteries, some featured in Saving Private Ryan. They were just finishing building a replica of the glider used to get troops into take Pegasus bridge at Benouville. Arromanche 360 is amazing and the mulberry harbours they floated across were still visible. All in all a very memorable, and emotional experience. Hope the weather is favourable for you.

• Like Like x 2
  20. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Mike, I've done Normandy a few times and for me it was interesting, fascinating and very moving. So many sites to see, but Pegasus Bridge at Ouistrem, Arromanches and the American at cemetery Coleville are my primary sites.

On the subject of crossing the channel for Normandy I find the cheapest and best to be Newhaven Dieppe - lands you right where you would meet up with your tour.

• Like Like x 3