Touring Planning next years euro trip anyone ?

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by andypandy, Nov 5, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Can't make my mind up where I want to go on the bike next year. I've basically got four destinations in mind.
    1. North West Spain - Picos de Europa and the coast
    2. Interlaken area of Switzerland
    3. Southern Germany
    4. Scandinavia (longshot)

So I was wondering where other people were planning/hoping to go and why ?

2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    We're going back to the Picos in September.
    We went East last time and headed for the Pyrenees but this time we'll go West and perhaps have a look at Portugal.
    It's a stunning area and a lot cheaper that France.
    I can recommend this hotel.

http://hoteldeloso.es/en/home/

Hoping to get a sneaky trip to France as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The plan is to go to Corsica - "The Island of a 10,000 corners" - that'll do for me !!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Never been abroad on the bike, quite fancy it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You little tinker Ade !!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    I've booked the train out on the 22 June and back 2 July, 10 different hotels/B&B's booked with Booking.Com (yes I know Dougie :eek:) The plan is to do The Vosges, a bit of Switzerland then follow the Route des Grand Alpes North to South. A free day in Cannes before heading back up Route Napoleon, The Jura Mountains then lots of motorway the last 2 days to home. Only 7 and a half months to wait :D

I'm doing this again as the weather is always great down on the Med..... even if it's pants hooning over the Alps I know it'll be just fine when I reach Menton.

If I were you AP I'd be looking at combining your option 2 & 3 and taking it from there..... I just loved riding the passes to the East of Interlaken when we were there a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  7. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    We're getting the boat from South coast to Santander or Bilbao. We usually zig - zag through the Pyrenees but this time we're going to check out the Picos and see a bit more of Spain. Again we're being drawn to Barcelona for the MotoGP and have an apartment booked at Mataro for 6 days of chilling with easy access to the circuit. Last year we only had a fortnight and apart from the time in the Pyrenees had too many very long days on the bike and way too much Motorway riding trying to cram 3 weeks into 2. Next year the plan is 3 weeks, and rather than trying to squeeze in the Alps after Barcelona we're spending the whole time in Spain. Hopefully the only motorway will be from Aberdeenshire to the South coast and back. Still over 1300 miles of real lousy roads but not much choice. As usual, the old faithful FJR1300 will be the tool of choice - best 2 up, fast tourer I've ever known. I'd love to ride the Bonneville around the Picos but the grunt, comfort and luggage carrying capability of the big Yamaha makes it a no brainer.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The Black Forest, mid-week is great too. But weekends are VERY busy with nutter Germans on Sports bikes & M3's.

9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Done the Picos at least 6 possibly 7 times. I find the best time of year is mid September to early October.
    Done the Dolomites, Austria, Switzerland, Black Forest, Pyrenees and quite a few of their passes etc over the years.
    Going up the Stelvio pass and down the other side using the Umbrail pass into Switzerland is a must to be done by ever biker/motorcyclist at least once.
    The Picos south and west of Santander is the place for me offering great scenery and some fantastic roads.
    It's the real Spain for culture and food.

Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  10. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    What train is that ?

11. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    The Eurotunnel or chunnel (never quite sure what it's actually called). Booked a 3.20 pm departure so I'll need to get a move on in the morning as it's a long hike down to Folkestone from Edinburgh.

Usually take the ferry for our crossing but will do the train this time for a change.

12. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Yes I need to get myself from Edinburgh to Saint Omer in one hit so I reckoned the train would speed things up a bit.

What is it they say about God and making plans though ??:eek::D

13. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Ahh right, thought maybe you were putting yourself and your bike on one of those overnight train thingies were you go to sleep in the rain and wake up in the sunshine.
    I'll never use the tunnel myself, too scared of confined spaces. If anything goes badly wrong there's just nowhere to go. At least on a ferry you have a slim chance.

14. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    We stayed in Broto this time,nice place and easy to get to the Pyrenees IMG_0229.JPG Surprising what strolls past when your having a quiet beer,only had one as well

15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've done the tunnel a few times now - 35 minutes and you're in France and can be on to Germany within 3 hours from there. They always put the bikes together - so you get to chat with the other riders - the time soon goes. There is an escape tunnel, which is separate from the rail ones if anything should go wrong - long walk back though!

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Actually Ade the cheapest way across the channel that I've found is the Newhaven/Dieppe ferry. The last crossing I did was this August and the return ticket was 78 euros.

Obviously it depends whether this fits into your overall travel plans but for anyone going to Normandy or down the French Atlantic coast it fits very well.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i've not made my mind up yet, 2 posibilties at the moment.. september Picos then over to Aragon for the moto gp or August the black forest then over to Austria for the moto gp.
    Just ordered the Ride guide to Europe..Cheers for the heads up on that Tim :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Well lots of good ideas there. One in particular for me is catching the Hull to Holland ferry. Hull is only 90 miles for me so that's a lot better than the 300 to either Dover or Portsmouth which is a bit of a ball ache to be honest. Then on to the Eifel National Park and then towards Interlaken. Still fancy Northern Spain though, tough decisions eh ?

19. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    We have done N Spain and Portugal the last 2 years thoroughly recommend and prices are cheaper that France, Germany etc.

Two trips planned so far, April/May 3 weeks down through France, Spain and Morrocco and in July return trip to French southern Alps.

Teejay

• Like Like x 1
  20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It can be - depending when you travel. At the moment you can go for £12.00 each way!

• Like Like x 1