Pinlock ear plugs

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Creaky, Sep 27, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    After buying my Thruxton I then bought an open faced helmet with goggles to fit over my glasses to match the look of the bike. I actually prefer the more open feel and it helps with the speed control when the odd insect hits you as too fast and it flippin' hurts!

One thing I found though was that the wind noise levels were unbearable so I decided to invest in a set of earplugs. My eldest lad has always used plugs and recommended the new Pinlock items. Having fitted a Pinlock visor insert to my full face lid a while ago and being impressed I decided to take his advice despite the cost of almost £20!

After using these for a few months now I am impressed with their robustness and the ease of cleaning. I simply wash them in a bowl of warm soapy water, rinse and dry and they're as good as new. It took a while to get used to the deadening effect of plugs but I certainly enjoy my rides a lot more now. They do seem to work as advertised by filtering out the extreme levels of sound but allowing certain things through. If I stop anywhere for a short while I tend to remove just one plug so that I can hold a conversation without shouting!

The storage box I use between rides; when I'm out and about I tend to wrap the plugs in a clean handkerchief which I keep in the pocket of my bike jeans.

Overall though, very pleased.

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    cheers Creaky nice to know,

3. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I've been a great advocate of earplugs for the last 20 years or so since I started getting tinnitus. I don't know these but I fully support any recommendation to try them.

£20 is nothing if it helps to save your hearing.

4. James ellerby

James ellerby Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Manchester
    Bought a couple of pairs of these last August for the wife and I, when we changed to open face and waiting arrival of a nice custom flat tracker T100.

Bike deal fell through and we still not used them , typical

Quality looks good and a new scrambler lands 3 weeks

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dick, I'm with you on ear-plugs especially if you're doing long-distance work. I've got the habit of wearing them every time I ride nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Just an update on the Pinlock ear plugs. I was a bit concerned that the plugs were blocking out too much sound making it difficult to hold a conversation so I contacted Pinlock directly in The Netherlands. They were quick to respond to my email and very keen to help. They thought the red removable inserts may have been faulty. I returned the plugs to them and they despatched me a replacement set by return. Excellent customer service!

7. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
  8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I'm afraid after seeing the damage to the chin section of my wife's full face Shoei Quest in a recent accident, I'm personally never ever wearing an open face helmet again.

I have similar reusable earplugs, just wish I started using them years ago as now suffer from tinnitus.

9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Love to hear about the service But did it sort the problem can you hear better??

10. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Sorry; yes the new set are certainly an improvement. With plugs in and no helmet you can hold a conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for posting, good info.
    The Thunderplugs from Maplin look to be the same, and at half the price too. Worth giving them a try.

12. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire