Featured Picked up my new STR, first impressions...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by GAJA, Sep 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    Hi All,

Picked up my new Speed R from Carl Rosner in Surrey yesterday. Fantastic service from the Dealership, very good indeed. Only took a week from date of order from Hinckley to me riding away on it yesterday which I think is fast.

What a lovely bike, definitely a step up from the Street Triple, very smooth, grunty engine despite the running in limitations and it is so beautiful!

Options I have chosen (so far); Alarm, quick shifter, tyre pressure monitors, flyscreen visor and a tank pad (don't like them but thought it prudent to get one, don't want to scratch that matt paint...)

Next purchase will be a new set of cans but not sure which ones to go for yet, I am a fan of Arrow products but really don't like the options for the Speed, they are far too large. I'm thinking about one of the following three, I welcome feedback!

http://www.sc-project.com/triumph_speed_triple_2016_photogallery_high_oval.htm

http://www.sc-project.com/triumph_speed_triple_2016_photogallery_low_S1.htm

http://www.sc-project.com/triumph_speed_triple_2016_photogallery_high_gp_tech.htm

I may look at Evotech levers and tail tidy at some point but for now, just want to enjoy the bike and put some miles on it, also need to name it!

Cheers.

GAJA IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1328.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Lovely bike you have there, I love the matt paint.
    It has an elegant meaness to it :)

I have a pair of round Arrow cans which I think are quite slim sitting in my garge if you wish to try them. hopefully jsut a case of slipping them on
    I live off J4 of the M40 so not too far out of West London

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    SMART!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Congrats on the new bike :D well worth the wait. First option ovals for me ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    Thanks, I had a set on my Street Triple and they were the perfect size and sounded the dogs with the baffles out but I think the 16 Arrows for the Speed are just too big, if you have a pic feel free to send it and thanks for the offer, very nice of you! cheers.

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
  7. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    Ha, the same choice as my wife made when I forced her to give me her aesthetic opinion, (she has very good taste and is a good yardstick), I quite liked the low slash cut option too but will probably go for the ovals, quite a clean look as there's no clamps.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    • Like Like x 1
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015

They are amazing on fuel, can't believe how good it is :)

10. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    What do you use by the way, normal or posh fuel? just wondered if there's any noticeable difference...

11. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Gorgeous bike mate. Congratulations buddy :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015

Esso super if i can, if not Shell super or BP, My car runs smoother on Shell or BP no idea on the bike lol

13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I am thinking of using super unleaded in my s3. I just hope I'm not get any issues in swapping fuel :confused:

14. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Lovely bike i'm sure you will have a lot of fun on it

• Like Like x 1
  15. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    gaja, i have the SC high level ovals on my 2013 speedy-excellent cans and great service from SC. the main finish is matt with just the ends being carbon gloss. half price of arrows for same performance gain.good kit

• Like Like x 1
  16. wilko1999

wilko1999 New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Stroud
    Gorgeous bike bud. Definitely the first one on your exhaust options - they really suit the bike

• Like Like x 1
  17. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Your bike is made to run with ethanol. infact it can run up to 40%.
    If it was me id just put in regular fuel not super unleaded.

18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I like the look of the low exhaust option myself - very GP stylely. ;);););)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Love the bike.

Headlights growing on me (mine are the pentagonal type)

For the exhaust, I'd go for the low boy. Opens up the back end so you can show off the ohlins. ;)

As for fuel, with this bike (94R,) I go for the standard stuff. Dunno why cos on the monster I used the top fuel by the main companies. Maybe I should treat her to the good stuff eh???

And maybe, this fuel question deserves its own thread? It's a great question with potentially mind boggling science waiting to be shared!!!

ATB

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  20. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The owner's manual for my U.S. 2014 calls for mid-grade (89 Octane in the USA, but the octane rating is calculated differently here than in Europe and the UK, if I'm not mistaken). There could be several factors at play, though, including state of tune, emissions control factors...

• Like Like x 1