Speedmaster Phone Mount

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by dilligaf, Feb 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Not a bad idea mate :)
    I have a solar powered phone charger that I use when camping at rallies :)
    Not sure if it’s rain proof though :confused:
    What I’m trying to avoid is too much of a faff with tank bag for the charger and leads running between two devices :(
    I want to be able to just take the phone from the handle bar mount and walk away but want to charge it while on the bike and using it :)

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I'm sure that under the tank - you will find an aux supply. Maybe a sub harness to heated grips.

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have the satnav wired into the Tiger, and it's been indispensable but I like using Google maps on my phone. For one, you see the entire route plus any traffic hold ups, but you can also put in the name of a pub and it will find it! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Steve - what sat nav you using? Would you recommend? I know it's a choice thing but any advice is good advice.

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It's a Garmin Zumo 340 (I think ).
    It has western Europe maps and lifetime updates and has been pretty decent so far (3 years use).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Extra battery's inside a trailer with solar power on the lid :worried::worried: just saying :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Already got heated grips fitted mate :)
    Not to worried about power supply at the moment as I know I can get that sorted :)
    What I’m interested in is a recommendation for a suitable waterproof iPhone handlebar mount and being able to keep my phone charged on the move :)

8. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Why not buy a supply that you can carry in your pocket or handbag- one that you charge and then plug your phone into. I have one from screwfix and it's superb. Also you can get units from any phone supplier. My works phone and iPad run off a unit from car phone warehouse.

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That’s why I’m interested in a larger trailer :eek:
    I have a plan for a solar powered cooler box and telescopic camping light and my trailer isn’t big enough :confused:

If you know of anyone with a suitable larger trailer ask them if they would be interested in selling it :)
    Or they can just keep tripping over the Feckin thing in the garage even though they never Feckin use it :mad:
    Just saying :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::p

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Handbag should be tankbag - bloomin productoive toxt

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s a convenience thing mate :confused: like I said I’ve already got a solar charger :) and another power pack thing that charges my phone about one and a half times but if I’m mounting my phone on the bike I might as well use the bike to charge it and then I don’t need to carry anything else :grinning:

12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Keep me eyes open for ya Dilli :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Dilli, Have you tried Waze, its a sat Nav owned by Google, it has a motorbike mode, you can avoid motorways tolls etc, good thing unlike Google maps it has speed cameras, as a social map you and the 10 Trillion other users can mark potholes, accidents, police etc, free on Apple and Android stores. Phone based sat nav kills the phone battery, after 100-120 miles my phone dies if I use sat nav, I keep mine plugged into the aux socket on Edna for longer trips

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cheers mate :)
    I’ll have a look :)

15. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    For convenience you cannot beat a powered cradle of some sort with a switched power supply. I tried using a car nav in a holder and though it fitted fairly well getting the power lead in as well was a faff at either end of the journey. Plus if you stop for fuel in a dodgy area is it going to be there when you come out after paying? Another factor is durability - the car nav did not survive the extra vibrations and the on/off switch collapsed into the unit. Your fruit phone may be better but my fairly cheap Android would not survive in a case on the bars and a tank bag is too much of a look down away from the road for me to consider.

More expensive I know but I bit the bullet and got a bike nav and a Touratech lockable holder (the TomTom locking base is rubbish in comparison). Easy to mount and remove, no issues at fuel/ice cream stops, easy to add switched power from the horn or front light cables plus you can make use of a wide range of RAM Mounts to place it up near the clocks so it's an easy glance away from the road.

Good luck with your choices.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I just finished the install on my Scrambler a couple of days ago. I bought a USB charger for 2 devices and wired this to a switched lead, to avoid battery drain. I also use a small magnetic tank bag, this will be where my phone will ride. I also bought a water resistant case for the phone, and downloaded the Waze app. I haven't had a chance to see if this works for me yet, but I don't know why it won't!

I spent a while looking at all the different options for this set up and that is what I come up with. About $10 for the USB charger/cable, $5 for the phone cover, Waze app was free! Pretty affordable, but if it doesn't work out for me, I'll have to rethink.

Good luck on your search for a proper mount, I got a headache just looking at some of those available!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Dilli, I used the std plug and a din USB and it works great with Triumph phone mount and case. You can unplug if you’re worried about drain.
    Only use it for google maps touring, but lately have put phone and cash in the case for other rides.

0E50FB94-B5D5-46E4-93D2-EF008F057CBB.jpeg

C8B1119F-101B-4B1B-8F44-09FE602C4211.jpeg

BBDD38B1-3202-48D7-B57D-C610B65FCF45.jpeg

3766793F-B171-4EAC-A769-8ACF0CCD1CCE.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cheers mate
    Now that looks like it might work for me :)
    I’ll have to look into it :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Nice and clean install. Looks good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi Dilli,
    You say you want a telescopic camp light ! Buy an led light (water proof) of the required lighting power (600 mega candles :p) and steal the kids Totem Tennis Pole ! Bit of wire and an appropriate plug and jobs done ! I have done this for my camping equipment in my camper trailer ... !

Cheers capt

• Like Like x 1