Petrol Tank

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by tigerman, Oct 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tigerman

tigerman New Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi All

I have a Tiger 900 year 2000.

On my petrol tank all the paint has started to like bubble up in big lumps has anyone had the problem.

Many thank's

2. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Hi,

Unfortunately this is becoming a common problem. It is because of the amount of ephinal now used in petrol, it makes plastic tanks swell.

Try not to use supermarket stations as they have the highest amount of ethinal.

3. We are finding this more and more on the older bikes. Like CC says above its the dam ethanol they are adding. Its finding all the weeks spots in metal and making them porous and promoting rust and bubbling.
    As far as I'm aware there is no cure and having the tank resprayed will only last a few years before it goes again. Sorry sad news. This winter ok now as I put my two bikes to rest over the winter I will as always be draining every last drop of fuel out and then rinsing the tank with Avgas and 2 stroke oil to help slow the inevitable down.

4. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Hi Tigerman...Mine bubbled a bit near the indicator pod and had it touched up...stayed ok 12 months or so, but its the decals that have bubbled the worst. Probably just best to live with it as re sprays aint cheap and a new tank is around the £300 mark