Pedestrian Slicer

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Guillermo salinas, Sep 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    Ok I like the Frampton idea, but I have a few questions. I'd like to put it over the fender. Am I suppose to get two of them and hold them up together so the the are visible on both sides? Is that how it was done during this era?

2. Guillermo salinas

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    Cliverdee, it looks really good. Amazing as a matter of fact. Is it embossed ? Is it from Framptons?

3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Yes. When front number plates were commonly mounted 'blade style' on the front mudguard they were usually two individual plates bolted, screwed or rivetted onto the curved backplate. It was also fairly common to have the registration 'mark' (i.e. the actual numbers and letters) shown - on both sides - using precut, white vinyl figures stuck directly on the black curved plate. Many garages and shops used to have the vinyl characters for sale - in regulation size, of course - arranged in a hang-up, clear vinyl pocket display.

[​IMG]

Plates were also commonly mounted on the front forks below or above the headlight, neither being a particularly practical method of display.

[​IMG]

I bought a new 750 Commando in 1972 and the front plate was mounted on brackets bolted to the handlebar clamps.

It's all just nostalgia now! ;)

• Like Like x 9
  4. Guillermo salinas

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    Got it, so they were vynl letters attached and not embossed aluminum for the characters like modern plates. If that's the case I guess I'm ok.

5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Actually, they could be either. The vinyl letter option was often used on cafe racers as they were ("back in the day") home brewed and it was a much cheaper option to make your plate at home than buy a factory or supplier made plate.

The manufactured plate characters were pressed in from the obverse giving the embossed look.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    No - Framptons can make them with reverse side as one integrated fused piece. Both sides will be embossed aluminum raised letter.

No need to sandwich 2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Guillermo salinas

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    Ok that's what I want. I just sent them an email.

8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
  9. Guillermo salinas

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
  10. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Martine - and a happy new year to you! My apologies - I should have made it clear when I posted the pictures that they aren't mine .... and DEFINITELY not of me. I didn't look as cool as that back then (nor as handsome!) and DEFINITELY don't now! Sorry, they were just images sourced online.

One of these days I WILL get all my old pictures together and post some - but that may be some time away. Stick around! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    For a truly period look forget about those white vinyl stick on digits.

All you need is a pot of white paint and a suitable paint brush;):grinning:

40E21819-6AAF-46BE-86EF-61B6ED9D53FC.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That pic makes me want to jump on my Scrambler RIGHT NOW!
    Trouble is, if you look at me from around 50 yards, through dark sunglasses in bad light I still don't look like Mr McQueen. Bugger.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Adie P, definitely do post some old pics and tell us the story behind them. It looked like the tanks of the middle and right ones had the BSA symbol so that's what led me to guess the left one for your Commando. And a motorcycle is a fine accessory sure to increase attractiveness. Happy New Year and ride safe.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Will do - eventually! And a smack in the face with a cast iron skillett would probably be just as effective at increasing my personal attractiveness. Hey ho. I've obviously got something of value (now the money's all gone .... hmmmmm.... maybe it's the pension? :eek:) as I have a much younger and very attractive wife! :D

HNY and best wishes to you, too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Toast Rack

Toast Rack New Member

Oct 12, 2022
    London
    More commonly referred to as a 'Granny Slasher' in the UK, lol. Your options for actual lettering are as follows - Separate embossed curved alloy plates that're screwed/bolted either side of the steel blade. Hand painted lettering by a sign writer, which was the most common to see as many dealerships would have a local artist contracted for the job. Also, later into the 60's & 70's you could buy white, self adhesive, alpha numeric lettering in varying sizes. I've had all these at one time or another, even a few that were truly awful, painted by an enthusiastic owner with Dulux & a 1" brush :poop: :laughing: