765 Paddock Stands

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by PH1969, Oct 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Morning All,

Looking for some nice paddock stands for the bike, any recommendations?

2. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    I recently bought one from Datona. Used to have one from Oxford, but it didn't work for the new bike (too wide).
    I would sugges measuring how wide it needs to be and be sure to buy a stand that can handle that margin. And double check the weight. It needs to be able to take at least half of the weight of the bike, preferably a little more for comfort of mind.

3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'm a HUGE fan of the 1Jac ...... yes, I know, not exactly a paddock stand in the accepted sense of the term. However, the 1Jac concept came from exactly that arena - it was initially designed for use by race teams for paddock work on race bikes.

There are a number of advantages of the 1Jac over traditional paddock stands - it will take slightly less space; lifts the bike completely clear of the ground in one quick movement; gives almost complete access to pretty much the whole of the machine for maintenance and cleaning, and it provides complete manoeuvaribility of the machine once lifted - the bike can be spun 360 degrees in just about it's own length.

I have two set up for the (Mk.1) Street Triples (his'n'hers) in the garage and I absolutely love 'em ..... you can tell. The people that make them also sell them and 'service' them - not that any servicing is required but, if you have problems, you can speak to them directly and they are the most helpful of people.

There is a VERY similar product sold by a German company at less than half the price of the 1Jac but I bought one and part assembled it before realising that it was not the kind of quality kit that I would want my precious bikes sat on, so I returned it to Germany and went to 1Jac - in Sheffield, England.

I should say that, for all I know, things may have changed so you might want to satisfy yourself that the German company hasn't upped its game (and its Chinese manufacturer/supplier) in the last few years and improved the product ... despite maintaining the enticingly low price!

https://www.1jac.com/1jac-bike-lift/triumph/triumph-765-2017

WP_20190406_13_07_45_Pro.jpg

Want to know how strong the jack is? Here's the original designer/builder/company owner demonstrating his own product by placing his not inconsiderable weight on the bike and on the opposite side to the lifing points!

p.s. I have absolutely NO link to the company or its employees other than as a very satisfied and highly impressed customer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Nice lift that 1jac. I'm looking for a pair of paddock stands for use with tyre warmers but I would buy a Skylift if I wanted that kind of stand.

5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Being in the market for a couple of paddock stands at the moment, I went to the Jac1 website only to find they're currently not taking orders,. Shame, looks like a very neat device. Any idea how much they normally are?

6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    To be totally honest, @Octoberon , I can't recall exactly how much I paid for my 2 lift/stands but I have the unsubstantiated feeling that it was in the order of around about the combined cost of a pair of good quality front and rear paddock stands - £200 - 250 ish, maybe?

I certainly wouldn't change mine for anything, though I'd agree that the Abba Skylift does look like a nice bit of kit. I've also got a couple of Abba paddock type stands which I want to try to adapt for the T300s.

If you're from Yorkshire then you'll probably be aware that 1Jac is a Sheffield based company and I think the owner/founder/designer is a Tyke. :)

7. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'm only an immigrant to Yorkshire. I didn't know they were in Sheffield, though. That's not too far for me should I end up buying/collecting at some point.
    The Skylift is great but I probably don't need that level of manoeverability. Maintenance doesn't extend much further than brake pads, chains and cleaning for me. It's a shame 1jac don't give any indication of when they'll be taking orders again. I'll probably go with a normal stand for now. Does it work like the Abba stands, where you have different adaptors for connecting to various bikes?

8. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    which country are you in? If UK which bike?

9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Well, it does sound like front and rear paddock stands will probably work well enough for your stated needs, I would think, as would the much better (IMHO) Abba Superbike stand. Cheapest way to do that would be via ebay/gumtree et al. and (probably) new specific adaptor kits from Abba.

The Constands copy/version of the 1Jac would also work, though - again a highly personal opinion - my experience of this device would make me very reluctant to advise anyone to lift anything of value on one of these. My 2 penn'orth.

If you are close to Sheffield it might well be worth a scoot down to 1Jac just to see what's happening. My experience of the people there was that they were VERY helpful, accommodating and supportive - and very (rightly) proud of their product.

Yes, the 1Jac does have specific adaptors for specific machines - the great advantage of this being that, if you change your machine, there's a better than evens chance 1Jac will (eventually) have adaptors to fit the new machine.

10. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'll find out where they are and see about dropping by next time I'm over that way. There's a bike shop I want to check out as well so it's on the cards.

I've got two bikes so ideally I want something that'll work with both. My Abba stand doesn't have an adapter for the MV, or at least it didn't last time I checked. I've never owned (or even used) a paddock stand but I believe that single-sided swing arms have a different requirement. I am a bit confused though as RG Racing seem to sell on that filts both type. Maybe their listing is wrong...

11. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

It's quite likely l'll have an Abba stand to get rid of Saul. Check if they do fittings for the bike you're buying for and give me a ring if you're interested :)

12. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Thanks, Alan. I've had an Abba stand for many years. It's the adapter I can't get for the MV. I think I have one for the Street Triple somewhere...

13. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Gather you are in the UK now.
    If it’s paddock stands in general Triumph UK technical support use a lot of Pro bike stands.
    Here is my bike on a set recently purchased following their recommendation.
    The headstock stand is amazing.

E262A45A-156C-414D-A0D8-7D25ABBAF919.jpeg

347AAC28-A0EB-4395-87D2-2D6ED9B37BC4.jpeg

4552B3A8-9690-410C-A1D6-D069C5E0824D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Thanks for taking the time to post some pics. That's helpful!

15. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    ProBike are based in Northampton, close to M1 J15.

16. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    As Baza said in Northampton. Very nice company both on the phone and overall experience.

17. JB1970

JB1970 New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    moon
    #17 JB1970, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    I originally had an R&G rear stand for mine; It looked sturdy however I reckon if I nudged it from behind (not much room in my garage) it would rotate forward, dropping the bike. What I've noticed with some of the popular rear stands is that the wheel is right on the corner. To be stable, ideally the wheel needs to be further forward so its impossible for the stand to rotate, without being lifted.

I got rid of the R&G and bought the Harris Performance stainless steel one. I'd had one years ago before I sold my Fireblade in '15. The wheels are on a gusset forward of the bend so it cannot rotate with a nudge (see pic from website). It also looks stunning. I went on to buy the matching front under yoke stand for the front. I can't fault them. They didn't advertise a front under yoke stand for mine, but they make them in house and when I called they just got me to give them the hole measurement for the pin and they turned one up to suit.

paddock-stand-prong-type-main.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    They are further in front than my moto gp one piece stand, which failed.
    Would be interesting to calculate the force acting on the Harris vs moto gp ones
    If you look closely even my latest pro bike rear stand appears to have moved ever so slightly.
    Although Pro bike swear there is no issue and to
    date it looks pretty sturdy.

Here is my related thread

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/thruxton-r-paddock-stands-uk-dilemma.30400/page-2

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    OR the upright needs to be raked back at more of an angle. It’s all about getting the CoG well into the base area of the stand such that the moment required to pitch the stand forward and upward exceeds that resulting from an accidental nudge. All about leverage.

If you look at my rear stand you will see that the upright is angled back more that your Harris one but the same degree of stability is achieved because the downward load is sufficiently far enough behind the wheel/ground contact point.

59A870B1-94EC-4AEB-BD97-0F8C2430F4DC.jpeg

I have since modified the rear stand to work with the bobbins fitted to my Street Triple R.

1D8DDB00-DB79-4AAE-AD59-6D6B083DEACD.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. JB1970

JB1970 New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    moon
    That’s true. The R&G one was vertical with large wheels right on the fulcrum point.