Oxford Oximiser problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Monkeyjoe, Oct 29, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    I bought a new Oxford Oximiser 900 from Halfords 2 weeks ago and have used it 3 times since with no problem's.

Tonight I plug it into the Lead from the battery terminals coming out under my seat (same as before) and the reading is:

0.0 Volts
    0.00 Amps

I've checked the connections, everythings good... it says it's not to be used outdoors, well my bike is parked outside my window every night, covered, but the Oximiser is plugged inside my house with the lead going out the window using an extension lead from the Oximiser to the battery lead extension. I don't leave it plugged in all the time, only when I want to charge it, and when it's not raining.

I checked the battery using a Voltmeter, it's reading 12.7 Volts, took the bike a ride for an hour to charge it a bit more...

Any ideas? think the Oximiser is goosed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GladImbackontwowheels

Sep 26, 2014
    Dover Kent
    Reckon so, or the wires to the battery have broken. Do you have the crocodile clip set of connections like you get with the Optimate? If so have you tried using them?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Oxford stuff isn't known as the most robust stuff in the world so maybe it's a dud.

If you have still got the recipt then it might be worth taking it back to Halfords and seeing if you can get a replacement.

Cheers

Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Monkeyjoe

Monkeyjoe Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Ayrshire
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    Yeah, I tried the crocodile connections also, reckon I'll take it back and get the Optimiser 4, it gets good reviews, especially for charging outside

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Keith Wilton

Keith Wilton New Member

Dec 3, 2021
    Beds
    I have an Oximiser 900 which when plugged in shows the Amos and Volts to begin with then after a while shows all zeros on both?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Keith Wilton

Keith Wilton New Member

Dec 3, 2021
    Beds

I have been having trouble with my Oximeter 900. First of all check the connection joints as I found when I wriggled them they worked so I gently expended the male connections, also on the leads that join onto the battery, the way the leads were run under other bits it hides a fuse, which I found was blown (15 amp on a T 120) having sorted all that it now works fine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I've had 2 Optimates fail on me, outside of warranty. Currently (lol) using a couple of cheapies from Lidl, both over 6 years old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Martin Oates

Martin Oates New Member

Oct 14, 2023
    Glasgow
    Hi, I bought one of these optimisrs and had the same issue. On inspection of the tether connection I could see the flimsy set up had failed , The male/female part had bent ergo no connection and no reading. I returned this the the Ebay seller and now have a replacment...also crap. Only a matter of time before this one fails. A very poor design.I also have a 10year old same brand optimiser and never had any issues...progress? not Have a close look at the tether connection.