Owning A Thunderbird Storm...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by JonathanD, Sep 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JonathanD

JonathanD New Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Surrey
    Hey guys

I just posted a quick introduction and stated that I would likely be getting a Triumph soon. I have test ridden the T100, Street Twin, Tiger Explorer, Street Scrambler, Thunderbird Storm and this Saturday i'm trying the T120.

Even though I haven't ridden the T120 yet, I am almost certain that I will still prefer the Thunderbird Storm over that and all the others I have tried. I have tried bikes from Ducati, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Harley Davidson but I keep coming back to Triumph for my general top preference (I am currently riding a 51 plate Tiger 955i).

I was hoping that any Thunderbird owners could give me some advice on a couple of things.

Commuting - Work is about 20 miles away on the M3. I would be looking to upgrade the seating and possibly get a screen. Does anyone know of any good aftermarket suppliers that would have parts to fit a Storm. I have Googled it but come up a little dry for UK re-sellers. My closest dealer is Jack Lilleys in Ashford, Surrey.

Storage - Again, any recommended UK suppliers that have options other than the official Triumph saddlebags which I don't really like.

Exhaust - I would be looking to upgrade the exhaust system. Same question as before on best places to look for aftermarket options? Also, I have read that changing the exhaust often requires you to make changes to the ECU.... Is this a legal requirement, or just recommended?

Any advice that could help me decide on whether to take the plunge to this amazing looking and sounding bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
  3. John Dynes

John Dynes New Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Hi Jonathan,

I'm a newbie, bought my Thunderbird Storm in September. I fitted Held saddlebags and they look great, the only downside was tying them down but got that sorted with some straps supplied by JS Gedge. I also commute, 40 miles each way daily and these bags can be put in and taken off really quickly depending up what I need.

John

• Like Like x 1