Out Of Gas????

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thunderbill, Jun 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thunderbill

Thunderbill Member

Mar 4, 2022
    San Diego
    Defect-Yes! The gauge is stuck on full. Replacement of sending unit required.

2. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    You need to clarify your situation. In post #18 you say the gauge is slow to give the correct reading.

Now you are saying the gauge is constantly reading full.

Which is it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thunderbill

Thunderbill Member

Mar 4, 2022
    San Diego
    Stuck on full

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    To be fair to the OP he has said on a number of occasions in this thread that it is stuck on full. All he said on that one post was that he noted when he first bought it that it took a while to register, give the guy a break ;)

5. Thunderbill

Thunderbill Member

Mar 4, 2022
    San Diego
    Ty. Now, it looks like I' m having the same problem with my Tbird Night Storm and I think I know why. I have a tendency to overfill the tank to squeeze a few more miles after the pump kicks out. My theory now is that the type of float causes it to stick to the top of the tank if you overfill. Never had the problem with any of my other bikes, just the Triumphs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Never been an issue on my Nightstorm I have to say and it's not something I've heard of before, I'm sure many people do the same thing. Not to say that's not the answer but reckon you'd have to be fairly unlucky for it to happen on both bikes.

7. Thunderbill

Thunderbill Member

Mar 4, 2022
    San Diego
    Must be the weather! Hey, since you have a Night Storm, does yours develop a high freq, vibration at 3k?

8. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Apologies, having been encouraged to read back through the posts it would appear to be problem requiring rectification.

When I changed the fuel filter on my Ducati (which is inside the tank, along with the fuel pump) I took the opportunity to remove the fuel level unit. I don’t have a fuel gauge, just a light when I’m down to the reserve.

It had been showing the reserve light when the tank was full. The unit is basically a vertical tube inside which is a float. The top of the plastic tube just popped off and you could take the float out. No debris obvious so I gave it a rattle can shake to make sure the float travel was unimpeded and reinstalled it. All sorted now.

I would imagine that your sender unit is of similar design.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Not at all mate, sounds like it might need a good set up. As a start I would check the tyres and whether they've been balanced correctly.

10. Thunderbill

Thunderbill Member

Mar 4, 2022
    San Diego
    Do you have the shorty pipes on yours?

11. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties