Our pets

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Red Thunder, Jun 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#1821 Cyborgbot, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2021
    I’ll have a five minute argument and if worthy, pay up for a full half hour.

Those topics are usually about religion, politics or beer.

The next thread I’m often agreeing with my foe of the previous argument. That’s how I assumed the interweb works.

Pets - just mean so much to people. A harmonising force in a fcuked up crazy world.

Thanks for sharing.

CB

Edit: To contribute. Here’s a picture of a real pain in the arse.

C7F657FD-63D7-45B6-A316-2FD10DC60952.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I was torn between posting this here or over in the humor thread so I decided on here to liven things up a bit.

(FYI- Not me nor my cat)

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Cheese please

IMG_20211003_165113.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Gal @ work presented us with this in Katty’s honor. Quite a spot-on portrait, really. Hard to not get choked up.

546CE3DF-1EB5-4AC9-87B3-85603A459648.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#1825 Golgotha, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2021
    Well I had another "f**k it" moment and jumped on a plane home. The Mrs was really feeling the burn. Katty wasn't the only loss we'd been going through so it's time to husband up. Boss said there's a couple projects I can hammer out back in NC so I can work local for 2-3 weeks. And as a bonus... I get to ride, ride, ride. :imp:

1st morning back… yesterday, I arranged a trip to the SPCA straight away to fill the void. It was surreal not having Katty there greeting me at the door. We rarely waste any time(for lack of a better word) "replacing" a lost animal but this time we moved very, very quickly. You can never really replace a pet but IMO you can move forward decisively… and you should.

I let the Mrs pick something out so we deviated a little in age and health. I've always stressed older animals with special needs but this time it's her show.

0.png

So… "Lanaya."(we didn't name her). 8 yrs old. Has some routine health issues but nothing too threatening with proper care and diet. Cats are prone to renal problems. If you own one, keep them away from foods with phosphates. There were 2 other candidates 10 and 14 yrs, but their health was so bad(Cancer, Renal and thyroid) the facility wouldn't even let us take them.

The Mrs wants to shorten it to "Leia" after the SW character and I want "Layla" after the Clapton tune. I really don't think the cat gives AF so it'll probably just have 2 names.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    @Sandi T was this the mug you were missing? :joy:

20211011_174511.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh, yes, that's the mug I've been missing and it's a bee-yoo-tee-ful mug at that, Vulpes! Give that pooch a smooch from me. :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
  9. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

@Sandi T

Let me put it to you this way- She looks just as bitchy as she actually is in this picture:

She's already played tic-tac-toe on my wrists twice. This one's going to be a handful. Female cats are commonly much more moody than males.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    And not just cats...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh boy, good luck! :eek::scream::rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I'll have the last laugh when I get another Blue Heeler. That day is not too far off.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Ge-Minigun

Ge-Minigun Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    Virginia (USA)
    Mine...

Triton Patio.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  14. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Archie is 5 years old now and this is the first time he's got in bed with Mickey!
    20211015_092402.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Any idea what tip the scales, Dougie?

16. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Squirrel watching Squirrel Watching.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Not sure, maybe it's because Mickey is is older now and Archie is feeling braver, it will be interesting to see if he does it again

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sometimes Ellie just relaxes in this position on her back for many minutes at a time. :joy: Our little goofball. :heart:

IMG_4957.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  19. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#1839 Golgotha, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2021
    Now that she's been around a few days we've come to the conclusion that Lanny's been unduly pestered or even possibly abused in her former home. Aside from a bit skittish, she's also hand-shy. That's a sure sign of some level of violence or physical harshness. Body weight's fine and she's nice and muscularly dense so she's been well fed, but she recoils when you go to give her scratches, and she doesn't like to get pet more than 2 or 3 times. She's also averse to men and drawn to women. She hops up on the couch and bed only when the wife is home alone. She for the most part keeps her distance from me. What we think happened was her original owner was some gal who eventually brought a dude into her life who pestered the cat or slapped it around. Cats and dogs do make the distinction. They're not stupid animals.

So she's going to just take a bit of time. I've taken a step back and I'm letting the animal acclimatize more at her own pace. She's engaging, but very weary of her surrounding. The last guy was right at home from the get-go and the one before that hid in the cabinets for nearly 3 weeks before he suddenly came out and jumped up into bed w/the Mrs. All very unique personalities. Right now I just feed her meals and treats whenever I'm around and occasionally offer my hand for her to rub on, which she'll do then piss off under the couch, bed, or just plop down across the room, making sure to maintain a good distance away. When I get up, she ghosts.

She'll loosen up. She just needs time.

0-3.jpeg

0-4.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  20. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    IMG-20211028-WA0000.jpg Life is tough... :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4