Our pets

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Red Thunder, Jun 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Should have said his name is Bertie, what else could it be!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Poor old Bertie has to go in for an op on Friday to have a fluidly sack next to his intestine drained and removed, following a scan he had today!

Poor sod hopefully this will solve his stomach issues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Poor old Bertie, I hope he gets on o.k., not had the best of luck has he.
    Worrying time for all, fingers crossed for him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Thanks I am sure he will get through it as he is a fighter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Good luck for your op Bertie ;);););)

• Like Like x 1
  6. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Good luck tomorrow Bertie, every thing crossed!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    As said it definitely needs sorting out once and for all, I'm sure he will be ok ,

• Like Like x 1
  8. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Thanks for all the good wishes for Bertie, I will update on Sunday when we hopefully have him back at home. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    She's lovely!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    looks like she waiting for her birthday treat :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Ours get to share a Gateaux between them for birthdays, 1st race day anniversaries, last race, date they came to us etc, and advent calendar (each) for Christmas, plus a Christmas dinner of Turkey, veg etc.
    Spoilt? Yeh, rotten, but if they can survive a racing career they deserve all of it and more!
    Same as your Lilly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Haha, when you have Greyhounds you soon learn not to leave food any where near the edge of a counter, soon after we got our 1st 1 we lost a complete cooked Sunday joint of pork!
    Proof she wasn't Jewish then!
    You have to be really careful leaving anything chocolate around, its poison to all dogs but more so to Greys, we have to get them dog friendly advent calendars and sweets.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    milk is not good for them either apparently,our last dog "Dennis" was a collie cross which lived up to 18yrs and we gave him milk everyday :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Breaking news. Black Lab digs up bone that is at least 3 months old and stinks the house out. Can't believe she can produce so much foul wind!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Our black lab x collie boys get corn flakes and milk every morning for breakfast and have done for the last 9 years without them dying or anything

16. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Our next door neighbour was looking after their friends lab, he got to all the choccy bix, apart from looking sorry for his self he got over it by his self, no vet needed.
    Its the same as all the ANUAL jabs, a vet told me years ago its all bollocks, the 1st and booster will last for at least 8-10 yrs, even then the natural immune system kicks in, he said it paid for his holidays!
    Its basically insurance companies who demand it, tied up with the drugs companies!

• Like Like x 1
  17. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Have to agree their H.O. SWMBO signed up to a monthly plan with the local vet, what does that get us I ask, well she replies free nail clipping, (how often does a dog have its nails clipped) a monthly worming tablet and his 3 monthly flea treatment. So at £13.99 a month equalling £167.88 a year we get all that, came my reply with just a hint of sarcasm;) and that doesn`t include insurance for it either, which costs more than my own bloody life insurance :mad:. Like you say it seems that vets have a licence to print money and they certainly pull on the old heart strings.:(:(

• Like Like x 1
  18. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    After mine Incpot's double attacks this year

After my Incpots 1st attack this year, he got badly bitten severing an artey, he got loads of ant-biotics, pain killers, Manuka honey etc from the vet to accompany him home, we went to a vets that I would not normally use but my preffered had phone troubles so any vet in an emergency, when the poor bugger got attacked again by another dog 5 1/2 weeks later we used the preferred vet, this time he got just a few anti-biotics and pain killers, and a very much lighter bill for more work, just goes to show!
    1 thing I would recommend for open wounds, stitches etc is MANUKA HONEY 10+, I'm not one for all this natural remedy crap, but this DOES work!!
    Dont buy the vets stuff though, £7 for a tiny 25g tube, go to Morrisons and get 28g for about £1.50!
    It does not need to be 'medical grade', but the higher the grading, say 10+ the better.

• Like Like x 1
  19. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Our V4P...........................oh dear!!!!
    When we got Deefa as a pup we took him there for a check up, book his jags etc, check over fine but got the distinct impression all they wanted to do was sell me stuff, and I did not see any vets or nurses I could say had any experience as they all seemed so young they'd not long been out of Uni, or even still at uni but on job experience!
    Also I got sick and tired of getting texts for the least little thing to remind me they were there!
    Lastly, they have now moved the surgery from down stairs to a newly built upstairs of the shop, with a 2 stage set of stairs to climb, how the hell do you get an old, lumbering, over-weight Labrador up there?
    Old people that cant walk too well bringing their Yorkie in, or, in my case a Greyhound that had a severed artery that I had to carry while I had a finger plugging the hole?
    Thats how our Livingston store is now, TBH, it just stinks of money, money, money!
    On the other hand my preferred vets, Lamond vets, are a smaller, friendly practice, the vets read the notes on an animal if its repeat visits, and being that there are not many vets there you probably see the same one especially if you ask.
    They only prescribe whats needed too, and the consultation fee's and prescription items are very reasonably priced, but most of all we feel we CAN TRUST THEM!
    Incpot's last attack was about 10 serious bites, skinnings and lots of stitches, he was under anesthetic for 40 minutes which is a long time for a Greyhound, they could have taken us to the cleaners but they didn't.
    Our other vets is o.k., but over priced and too many vets, some are good, other's, in particular, one I refuse to see, but they did save Incpot, we were just lucky to get the right vet at the time, which actually was a locum!
    Usually their first question is 'is he/she insured?' In other words, how much can we wring out of this one then?
    My best ever vets was Martin Pengelly & Geof Mizzen in Peterborough when we had a wildlife hospital many years ago, I think they still practice (M.P. was a Greyhound track vet as well so he knew about that breed) but its a bit too far to go for routine work.

20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I think it's about time I introduced my girls.

Both are English Springer Spaniels, mother is Alice and her daughter Fizzy.

Alice is now 13 years old and retired, she had a tumor removed from her right groin a couple of months ago and appears to have fully recovered but has medication for a under active thyroid and joint /tendon problems.
    Unfortunately I've no recent photo's.

This is Alice on the day she got pregnant :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The end result, 6 healthy puppies 4 boys and 2 girls.

[​IMG]

Fizzy at about 18 months old, she's now 10 years old and still very active.

[​IMG]

Dave.

• Like Like x 4