Featured Our 4-day Utah Trip: 2 Days Of Adventure And 3 Days Of Misadventure

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Jun 4, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #21 Sandi T, Jun 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    Days #4 and #5: Bryce Canyon Pines Motel (again) and the road up and back from Tucson to Bryce

Day #4 was the second day for me of just hanging out on my own at the hotel. I tried to busy myself with eating at the restaurant (breakfast, lunch, afternoon pie, dinner), reading my Tony HIllerman novel, strolling around the grounds (which I'd done yesterday), and calling friends (thank goodness for cell service!), I was properly bored. And if you know me you'd know I'm pretty much NEVER bored! :joy: Here and there I connected with Steve and Chris to keep tabs on their drive back to Bryce with the trailer. They anticipated they'd arrive around dinner time.

As the day progressed, so did the weather...for the worse. The wind started howling and when I came out from having my mid-afternoon pie (berry apple) and coffee, a spitting rain was starting. I thought I should put my motorcycle cover on but the weather report indicated the rain would cease momentarily so I figured I'd wait, dry the bike, and then cover it (or not). Well, that all went wrong because not only did the rain continue but the temperature dropped. Around 5pm I was chatting on the phone with a friend from back home when I looked out my hotel room window. At first I thought I was seeing dust blowing across the parking lot. Nope, it was that cold white stuff I'd moved away from Minnesota years ago to escape. SNOW!!!! :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::mad:

IMG_1104.jpeg

So now not only did my bike have snow on it, but rain had frozen on it, too. after saying to myself, "Are you kidding me??!!" multiple times, I calmed down and decided it would be prudent to call Steve and Chris to see where they were and warn them that as they began climbing up towards the motel they were going to meet a snowstorm. Which they in fact did. Fortunately, they navigated it just fine even with the trailer. When they arrived it was hugs all around. They actually got kind of a kick out of my bike.:rolleyes: Not so much the next morning but I'll get to that.....

Both Steve and Chris were looking forward to the Utah trout dinner on the motel restaurant menu so we bundled up and trundled over to eat. We kept thinking that the snow would stop but it just kept on coming down. And with it, the temperature continue coming down, too.

IMG_1113.PNG

This was on Sunday evening and if you'll notice the low temp in the weather forecast pic, the temperature the next morning--Monday--was indeed a frosty 23ºF! :cold_sweat: The biggest issue was that there was ice everywhere! On my bike under the snow, on the truck and the trailer, and the asphalt areas of the property were sheeted with a thin layer of ice making our walk to breakfast more like a skate to breakfast.

IMG_1111.jpeg

The truck and trailer were parked in the sun and that sun, especially at 8,000 ft altitude, was quite powerful. Soon the trailer ramp and bed were merely wet and not covered with ice and snow. The bike was a different story. Because of how it was parked, it was shaded by the motel rooms. Also--something to remember for the future for sure!!--the fork was locked and frozen solid so the handlebars weren't straight on. I've made locking my fork a habit for a dozen years so may have to rethink the circumstances under which I do--and don't--continue that habit in the future. :joy: Chris was able to back the bike up in a sort of circular fashion to get it in the sun so the sun could do its melting thing. The parking lot was nearly empty so that was helpful. But to get the fork lock thawed, we started with wet room towels heated in the microwave. Not so effective. Then Steve said we needed to find an extension cord and use the hair dryer. We got one from a motel staff person and that hair dryer did the trick. I'm sure it looked quite silly for anyone that chanced to see us at work.

IMG_1125.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 12.45.08 PM.png

I will say that it was pretty. But did I mention that I REALLY dislike snow! That's partly why I live in the desert. :cool::sun:

Chris has loaded bikes and other vehicles on trailers for years so we let him take the lead on that. Our buddy, Russell, had met Steve and Chris at the U-Haul dealership to give them some tie-down webbing that he'd gotten from some friends and the straps were brand new. So good...or so we thought. o_O Yes, there was to be more misadventure before we arrived back home in Tucson.:eek:

IMG_1136.jpeg

Here we go on the final leg!!

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 12.21.08 PM.png

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1142.jpeg

A silver lining is that we stopped for lunch at Cameron Trading Post, one of our favorite places to have a bite and to check out all the Navajo art offerings. It was Chris' first time here so he opted to try something he'd never had before--a Navajo Taco.

IMG_1158.jpeg

Ahhh, we'd stopped for lunch, regularly checked the bike at gas stops, and turned around scores of times to see that fairing upright and following us faithfully. But about 400 miles into the drive home and about 150 miles from home, Chris turned around and said two horrible words, "Bike down." Yep, my bike tipped over on the trailer. Trying to remain at least somewhat positive, I said later, "Well, at least it didn't fall off onto the trailer onto Interstate 10 in the middle of Phoenix (which is where it tipped over. One of the tie down straps had worked away from the microfiber protector and had rubbed against the frame. It looked as thought someone sliced it in two.

Steve had pulled off the freeway into the first little parking lot he came to. After we all took multiple deep breaths and uttered not a few cuss words, we got the bike off the trailer and Chris drove the truck (with trailer) to Home Depot two miles away to get some new straps while Steve and I waited with the bike. Another thing we learned: Use ratchet type straps and not "clamshell" type closures. We noted that those straps from Russell could not stay tightly enough closed and therefore weren't tight enough to eliminate play as we bumped along for hours. Chris purchased some terrific RATCHET straps and we were back in business.

The bike itself sustained no structural damage, thank goodness. The offending front wheel got scraped up (who the heck cares? serves it right!) and the lid of my right saddleback was scraped enough that I'll need to have it repainted. But I had added saddlebag guards to my bike only a couple of months ago and those rails saved the day!

The last 150 miles home were uneventful but we arrived home in the dark at 10:00pm pretty much worn out. I'll share a bit of an Epilogue in my next post. Actually getting a new wheel on my bike turned out to be nearly as much of a misadventure as the trip itself! :eek::rolleyes::joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 7
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 3
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Sandi T: Oh my goodness! When something is going wrong there's always an increase possible!?! I hope you get your bike repaired soon!;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a carry on @Sandi T . I bet you guy’s were very pleased to be home and in good health given the calamity off the past few days.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Bloody hell SNOW.
    Bit like our summers here, non existent.
    Glad you're safe at home again.
    Hope your bike gets repaired, so hopefully your next trip will make up for the mishaps that you've encountered on this trip.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Flippin eck! Not much you can say about that other than a promising trip turned into an ordeal and to cap it all, some expensive repairs to boot! :mad:. You know what they say Sandi, a good biker smiles in the face of adversity.:) Well OK, I just made that up, a little encouragement from me and thanks for a great write up! :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Well, you are back home and very likely learned a few things along the way

Thanks again for sharing your adventures

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Thanks very much for your write up. You certainly know how to have an adventure don’t you? Glad you finally made it home. I do have some ratchet straps you can borrow but they’re in Yorkshire so probably a bit far to come for them. Keep it coming re the new wheel etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #28 Dartplayer, Jun 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    Sorry to see your bike mishap ruined part of your trip @Sandi T. Really good Steve and your friend could help bring your naughty bike home. Good write up and pix, I loved seeing the Mantis again :skull::party:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Well certainly an eventful trip...:scream: Thank goodness all damage was just material... Too bad you missed out on Bryce - it is absolutely glorious. In fact, having been to both Bryce and Zion, I'm not sure I'd be able to choose between them for natural beauty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Wessa. Yes, we were VERY pleased to be home safe and sound. And relieved, as well. :) I'm glad that your recent trip went well and as planned. Well, other than @Vulpes being home on the injured reserve list. :sob:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Bikerman. Yea, bloody hell SNOW is right! :p We chose the time for this trip anticipating that we'd have really good weather. We might have thought twice or at least done a bit of research is we'd known how high the altitude was around Bryce Canyon National Park.

My bike is back in action and I'm all packed for our next trip on which we depart this coming Tuesday! It's just Steve, Russell, and me this time around for our annual June trip.Some of the roads will be the same but we're throwing in some new routes, too.

I do believe you're on a trip as I type this so will poke around on the forum this afternoon to see if I can find what you're up to :):kissing_heart:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes, Wim missing the trip was a big blow. However he is well on the mend and I’m sure planning his next trip on his new bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes, Wim missing the trip was a big blow. However he is well on the mend and I’m sure planning his next trip on his new bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oooh, I like that, @Pegscraper! "A good biker smiles in the face of adversity". I'm going to adopt that. :grinning:

I appreciate the encouragement from you and the positive comments regarding my write up. Thanks. :kissing_heart: We're hitting the road again two days from now on Tuesday for our annual June MC trip. I think I'll get enough smiles from the trip itself so hopefully I won't need to add any smiling at adversity this time. ;):)

Oh, and the wheel repair didn't cost me anything! I'm going to post an Epilogue to this thread that will fill you in on the "aftermath".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    I've hit the front page. I feel like Royalty now. I've made it to the big time. :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We learned lots, @Armando Morales! As I just mentioned to @Pegscraper, I'm going to finish up this thread with an Epilogue post and will review (mostly for my own benefit!) the things we learned along with letting you guys know what transpired with everything after we finally arrived home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Planning a trip, yes, but not with the new (well not mine, Jefta's will come on this one) bike, as it's too heavy to get on the trailer, so I'll be taking the S3. We're off to the Dolomites again for a fortnight coming Friday. I should be fit enough to do day trips, so we're just going for it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh, yes, that new bike! I'll have to check to see if @Vulpes posted a photo of the red beauty on this forum. Do you know, @Wessa? I hope he loves it! I hope so after what he's been through with his accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: Hurray! I'm looking forward to seeing your thread, @Bikerman! :heart::heart::heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Picked it up yesterday, and I DO love it! There's a thread with pictures... :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1