Opinions On The Black Bonnie T120.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Cupoftea, Dec 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. #21 Goonergoose, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    well All I can say is the level of finish is excellent on these new Triumphs.
    At the moment she still looks new, but I’d have to say ounce the gritters start to show I put it away. So at present she’s tucked away on a Optimate for a few months.

2. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    It does look good still.
    Well, I've just sold my other bike today, 2 bikes in 2 days.
    When the funds come in, I will off to the shop to see what the deals are!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Also starting to get to like the Scrambler but its too close to my Africa twin in style.

4. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Hi cup of tea, if you are a heavy chap like me, you need to consider the stopping power. 900 only has one front brake disc, whereas 1200 has twin discs. This influenced me and the fact that Triumph decided on more stopping power, told me something. I chose the 1200.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    #25 Cupoftea, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Hi Drummer,
    I have been thinking the same.
    I do like the extra power that the T120 gives, kind of reserved power waiting to be unleashed.
    The prices of the 2016 are coming down but the rest are still up near the retail price. I emailed the local shop today 3x, about whether they would swap a coloured tank over from a T100 onto a new T120. But suffice it to say, not a reply.
    One thing is a bit of a puzzle to me is that the number of very low mileage bikes on a 2016 plate.
    Any ideas as to why this is, is there a fuelling issue etc?

6. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Hi again, mine is a 2016 bike also with low mileage but that is down to me not using all year due to a knee issue. I can however offer a potential reason for your findings. The T120 has had some issues of the twin clocks misting up (search this forum for details) and Triumph have been replacing them with new instruments.I had mine done with a little over 4000 miles on the clock, but the dealer set the replacement mileometer to match the old mileage. Believe all dealers can and should do this, but that is not to say they do, particularly if the owner wants to wind back the clock so to speak. On bikes you are interested in, ask if the instruments have been replaced, could be the answer to your query.

7. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Ah right, I read about the clocks being replaced , but did not occur to me that they may have more miles on them. Good point and thanks.
    Has the fix sorted the misting out?
    I will have to consider new to be 100% sure!

8. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Assume new clocks will be fine, not been out since replacement.

9. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    OK good. What model years we're effected ?There is a u tube on this and the 2nd set he received I believe were an issue as well.

10. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi,
    My bike shown also.

Bought second hand off dealer,safer and not necesassarily that much more than private (plus had to of extras on it already)
    Hammered around lakes back end of summer and we were caught In knee high waters!

Bike is ace.

I tried scrambler and T120,chalk and cheese,but depends on your riding-I would love a scrambler as a second lighter/shorter ride bike..but that’s just greedy!

Bike coated when I bought it..and even Matt pipes all come up a treat,but I know what people mean/mention re botching..also get what people say re gear changing...but I love my back for the longer country runs..when it comes into its own and I don’t want to go home!!

The comments about spending more time on them is fair point,you can hire them for days,not cheap,but better than regret and then an early sell.Some dealers would let me on bikes all day for £20 insurance-bargain!

Good luck with your choices and you came the right place to ask.

Cheers,
    M

FF8DE742-7823-4619-8FBB-87940AEA782B.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Another way of looking at is buy one with the lowest genuine mileage, most accessories and best price.
    Tall order I know but there out there.
    Just have to be patient

12. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Just seen on the Triumph website that the Bonneville T120 that they have dropped the price by £500.
    Merry Christmas all.

13. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Dam the booze, I was looking at T100 doh.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Nope, what's going on here. Its a 2018 website which I was on today.

Screenshot_20181225-203018.jpg

15. Jonathan Wiles

Jonathan Wiles New Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Berkshire UK
    Hi, I have a 2016 T120 Black in gloss and I love it. I have made several modifications to enhance the smoothness of the bike, especially in low gears and it's overall performance including a Motone X pipe and a fuel booster plug and they have made a huge difference. It's a great bike and I have done over 6,500 miles in the UK and touring Europe, it,s no racer but it is a fantastic cruiser and it gets noticed. It's not that hard to keep clean (no harder than any bike) so would definitely recommend it.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    That does surprise me about the fueling. I must admit that I've only ridden one bike and that was very good on the fueling. Do you think it's been tweeked to impress?
    I'm a bit worried that having not to be able to test your shiny fresh bike before you buy it, may have to start spending out just to get it running right, something that is not a stranger in my world

17. Jonathan Wiles

Dec 25, 2018
    Berkshire UK
    The booster plug is to over-ride the ECU standard settings and get a richer fuel mix injected giving a much smoother response in low gears. It's a problem most new bikes have as the manufacturers need to meet EU regulations. Dont get me wrong there wasn't a problem with the bike before, this has just made it better in my opinion. Equally it wasn't expensive and was just a plu and play add on.

18. Jonathan Wiles

Dec 25, 2018
    Berkshire UK
    Have a look at Stuart Gillingham's posts on YouTube, he has a T120 and constantly adds bits to it and reviews them, some of his videos are really interesting

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I had to put my old husqvarna a spoofer to make it run right but that was running so lean, it would stall at a moments notice.

20. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Jonathan, can you place a link?