Opinions - New Turn Signals Or Oem

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by curlywurly, Mar 20, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    When I purchased my Thunderbird Sport it came with small LED plastic turn signals, they look okay, not great, just okay, but now 2 of them have broken, the rubber stalks have split, so I'm looking at replacements.

There are quite a few aftermarket LED ones, nothing like the chrome OEMs ones though, but some look nice too me, but what is the general feeling here? Go OEM to keep the classic looks, or adding aftermarket ones that blend in is "okay".

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    By the sound of it you seem to prefer the chrome originals so think you should go with them :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    OEM every time - the way the MOT laws are going - you will soon have no choice..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    I have to see what comes up on ebay for OEM.

One thing about living in Oklahoma, there is no State Testing of vehicles at all, you would be shocked at some of the vehicles I've seen on the road here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Sorry mate - missed your location, in the UK - the rules are getting more stringent every year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    OEM!

• Like Like x 1
  7. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Did Triumph use the same indicators as on the TSB on other models?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

As Elvis almost said-"return to standard" :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    As I’m not sure if we are allowed opinions anymore I would suggest oem

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    #10 curlywurly, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    OEM seems the way, I'm on the look out for some now, I saw a couple on ebay (I'm in the US) a few weeks ago, chrome wasn't in great shape, so would need re-chroming, but they are gone now anyway, I'll keep looking.

Looking at photos, looks like the Thunderbird, Adventurer, Legend and Thunderbird Sport share common indicators/turn signals.

UPDATE: Looks like the chrome part of the indicator is the same but the amber lens is more pointy on the TSB.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    SHOCKING :eek::eek: :p

12. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Just bought one for a TSB on ebay, $12 inc shipping but the amber lens is broken, but it will serve as reference/pattern, and at that price,as they say here, a no brainer!

13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The genuine items are available new - if you don't mind paying the rather steep asking price :-

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6126/thunderbird-sport/indicators

Looks like front are in stock and rears available to back order ... around £152GBP for a full set.

14. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Adie, that is another option!

Also having the part# is great, as it looks like the they are used on some Bonneville T100s among others.

15. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    You have to be careful with aftermarket stuff. A lot of it looks cheap and nasty IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, I've had a look at aftermarket, and they look so-so. I rather have good used ones at a minimum I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if some the chrome is just shiny plastic on some of them.

17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Since when has it been an MOT fail in the UK to replace the indicators with AM parts? As long as they flash with a certain cadence and are mounted correctly they're no problem. I've taken mine off the dirt bike altogether with no MOT issues even though the switch is still there.
    What I don't get is replacing them with the tiny LED types with smoked lenses. I've taken them off the dirt bike before they get smashed off but on the road bikes I like them uber visible!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'm pretty sure it's NOT an MOT fail to have aftermarket indicators fitted (per se) - as long as you maintain the legally required minimum 'separation' and visibilty requirements; and, if they're led, they flash at the correct rate which usually requires either a suitable replacement relay or inbuilt circuitry.

19. curlywurly

curlywurly Member

Mar 9, 2021
    Oklahoma
    The damaged TSB turn signal arrived today, it's heavy, 304g, will be good as a sample, and good at $13 inc shipping, I might be able to just buy the lens for it.

After scouring ebay etc, the Legend TT looks to have near identical indicators, but that is about, ones from other models vary slightly. The amber lens is pointed on the TSB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LixMbGNFdXj2G5kMKeCVtw9YNNO79P0x/view?usp=sharing