Open Face Helmet Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SleepyOwl, Aug 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    I'm lucky enough to have 2 bikes - for the T120 I wear a Shark Heritage open-face if the weather's good (it has a pull-down clear internal visor); if it isn't, then a Shoei Qwest full-face. For my Honda CB1100 I've got a Shark Evo, which is good for all weather conditions, being a dual purpose lid (the bikes are at different locations).

• Like Like x 1
  2. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I an see the attraction!

tumblr_o1mnl3of1y1uw6uiro1_1280.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    Here is another one, protection with style! :grinning:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    No vulgarities please, we are all gentlemen riders here! ;)
    Ladies with Davida helmets are basically sexy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I've gone from wearing open face helmets (Bell Custom 500, Fulmer, AGV--all great helmets) more often than not to wearing my full face helmets (Shoei, Bell, Schubert most all of the time. I have a couple of Bell Bullitt's and really like them. Great vision and air flow. But I don't even wear them much anymore. The more I ride the more I feel comfortable and more protected in a full face. I just got home from a 2800 mile trip and was quite happy wearing my Shoei RF-1200. At one point I really needed to rub my eye, scratch my nose--don't even really remember what the annoyance. Anyway, I figured I'd nudge my face shield up just quickly enough to do that (at 80 mph). But before I could even do it, the biggest bug possible (maybe a small bird?!) hit my face shield and splatted all over it. Ugh! A couple seconds sooner and those guts would have been on my face. :eek::eek::eek: I did wear my Bell Custom 500 open face for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride last fall but don't think I've worn it once since then.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Some don’t bother with Open Face or Full Face here in Bali.

All you need is a Dust Mask for full protection especially if your 3 up on a scooter :eek::laughing::laughing:

BD9C7895-F42D-442C-A18E-A9EC134B542A.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    WOW. Look at the state of the rear tyre of that scooter with a rider in a "Grab" jacket! Hope he doesn't ride that in the rain .......

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    The way that all the scooter riders ride it’s a wonder if any survive a day.

They over and under take, ride along pavements even ride on the wrong side of the road,,,,it’s crazy :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    As all safety gear you really don't need it, until you need it. Full face yes. In the USA they say ATGATT all the gear all the time. Road rash takes a long to heal. I like dragging liners for under pants protection. Breaths pretty good and blue jean perfect

10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I used to ride in an open face when I was younger and am often tempted to get another for pootling but remembering how they try to lift off at any speed above parked and I have scraped the front of a fullface on two occasions, I resist, but still tempted and I might get one just to nip to the cafe on, that said though I had a bee strike in one eye doing about 70 back in the early 80's jeez that really hurt, though goggles would have stopped that, we live and learn, sometimes

more old bike pics me 1 cropped.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  11. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    This is my favourite helmet ... Shoei J Cruise... advantage of open face but with the pull down clear visor plus slider internal sun visor... I mostly use this one as much prefer being in the fresh air rather than my flip front Schubert’s C3 pro. Really comfortable and none of the disadvantages of open face. .. unless you worry about full frontal accidents

59083408-8D4B-4B9B-9D12-4302618111AB.jpeg ADEA48D7-EFCA-4C9C-8D54-C547E40A67E1.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Hello Peeps,

New to this stuff coming from Sports bikes, but with an inbound Bonnie I’m also considering an open face helmet as they look so cool. But living in the UK is it worth it as we don’t exactly get California sunshine?

13. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Hello Peeps,

New to this stuff coming from Sports bikes, but with an inbound Bonnie I’m also considering an open face helmet as they look so cool. But living in the UK is it worth it as we don’t exactly get California sunshine?

14. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Hello again Sir!

I’m based in Birmingham but my BMW dealers are Wollaston Motorrad in Northampton, always bought my Beemers from them and was there on Wednesday actually.

Helmet size for me depends on brand, with my full face helmets I’m the following:

Arai (L)
    AGV (XL)
    HJC (L)

You got any pics of the helmet? Lol @ being fired out of a cannon!!

15. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I find helmets are like boots and just about everything else these days, sizing is all over the place

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Shark Evo One :)
    Best of both worlds :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Thanks for that, if I’m honest that’s a bit loud for me, I was hoping perhaps it was the black/white/silver Union Jack style helmet.

However, was a very nice offer from you so I appreciate that :):)

• Like Like x 3
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Open face is a weird sensation, kinda liberating... especially after a race bucket... but for me, it’s purely for those lazy summer bimbles, farting about on your bike when the traffic is too heavy to have playtime

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Ah bless you mate, that’s really a generous offer and yep, I could do that no problem, probably buy them lunch as it’s safer for them!

Ok, as you rightly put it, it’s a good way for me to test it out before I invest in one, to see if open face is for me or not. I tell you what, I’ll drop you a message next time I’m planning to be in Northampton, and if you’re available I’ll come and collect it from you :) My in-laws are in Leicester so next time I’m there it could be a good excuse for me to escape from them lol

Many thanks for the generous offer, very kind indeed :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Perfect, will do buddy. Thanks again :)

• Like Like x 1