Open Face Helmet Opinions

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SleepyOwl, Aug 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Arai has protected me for many years.

JJ

2. Dale

Dale Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Cincinnati
    Only wear full face because;
    1)Ground a large flat spit on the chin bar of a Shoei after a 35mph get off.
    2) Ground the left side of the chin bar flat, scraped the face shield, scalloped out a large chunk out of the left rear, scooped out a smaller chunk from the right rear after being hit mid left bike in an intersection by a left turner. I was wearing a Schuberth dull face. Woke up with a crowd around me in the right lane 55 ft (measured by the Georgia Hwy Patrol) fm point of impact. Treated & released in 4 hrs with 4 stitches & a concussion. Schuberth took the helmet to study & sold me another @ 1/2 price.
    3)Saw the video face-on of a HD rider without his lower jaw trying to explain what a partial helmet allows during an impact.
    Your head, your choice.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Dale

Dale Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Cincinnati
    Hi DD, thks but that's not the one. The one I refer to had been treated & cleaned up with his lower jaw gone. Can't find the link.
    Amazing what the general public isn't aware of or dismiss as unlikely to happen to them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    After a very very quick glimpse of the picture above i think i will throw my open face in the bin:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: Jez pleeeeeze delete that picture :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I’ve a Shoei J Cruise which I would recommend. Its got more cheek protection than the usual open face and a large clear visor plus flip down sun visor. I’ve had a Bell 500 which was uncomfortable and I’ve a Shuberth C3 pro which is a great fitting helmet but a bit claustrophobic on a hot day. Despite all the Triumph ads with smiley face dudes on their classics, riding anything at more than 40mph in an open face without a visor isn’t quite as much fun as they would lead you to believe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I see this exact same picture above a few weeks back and the guy said ‘look what this bull did to this guy’
    So I completely doubt the validity of the picture!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hey! Let’s all go out sell our bikes and buy a Volvo.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  8. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    More safer, stay at home in a bomb cellar, weld the door shut cellar wrapped in cotton wool and bubble wrap. Have pure filtered air piped in. Much safer than riding a bike but if this was the case i would probably do my self in within 6 months due to boredom. :confounded:

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Got to agree - open face only works if you're on a nice slow ride and wearing sunglasses. Whats the point if you have to cover up your face with some bobbly old neck tube and huge goggles? Rather wear full face! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    As one who has face planted the tarmac on more than one occasion but still kept my, errr .... looks! (as in, my face remained unchanged as a result) :blush: I wouldn't want to ride in an open face lid, no matter how cool it might make me look. :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Shoei Qwest Bloodflow on the Aprilia ;);)
    lrgscaleShoei-Qwest-Bloodflow-Motorbike-Helmet-Black-Red-1600-0.jpg
    Caberg Ghost Legend on the Nightstorm :cool::cool:
    caberg_helmet_ghost_legend.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Worcestershire
    I've worn an open face ever since I started riding in 1970. I do use a full face visor though as I can't be bothered with goggles. Within the last couple of years I've started using a full face helmet in winter or bad weather. I've just bought an open face Frank Thomas to replace my aging HJC. I find open face gives better visibility and I feel more aware of what's going on around me. I wear what suits me and I accept the risks. Other points of view are available.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Dozers Dad,
    You been spying on me? Asking as that’s my riding gear...shorts, T shirt and (I draw the line at trainers) Clarke’s slip on leather (To protect my toes) shoes.
    Would sometimes ride without helmet too if not illegal.
    Probably ridden more miles in a flat cap than a lot on the Triumph Forum.
    When considering what’s dangerous, riding in shorts and T shirt at the bottom of the list of the things I’ve done in life.
    Regards,Ken.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    You have just to go to any helmet shops and you will find out wearing goggles are not always needed. My LS2 has an internal dark tinted visor and a clear visor on the outside that pulls down as low as my chin. I can't see me wearing goggles as when ive tried them in shops, i just look like a top gun pilot or one from the Spitfire days. I find they cut the range of vision becomes narrower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    My full helmet is a Caberg flip front which I really like but it’s quite heavy.
    My open face one is also Caberg (Riviera)
    The clear visor on the open face comes right down (In increments) to my chin and keeps all wind out.
    On the other hand, the retractable sun visor only covers the eyes and if using this while the clear visor is up I get a fair amount of buffeting in my eyes. I also wear specs. so don’t know whether that helps or hinders where the wind goes in relation to my eyes.
    Full helmet warm and quiet, open one, not as warm and very noisy.
    As others have said, open face, much nicer biking experience.
    Sammy miller helmet, better still. :cool:;).

1D19FDDA-8C9F-48A2-8FDD-C46D7679F716.jpeg

76FC787E-47C4-48DF-9586-57A06E3F1708.jpeg

16. JayScram

JayScram Member

Apr 24, 2019
    Warrington
    I've got a Bell moto 3 for the Scram. Love it.

However it's all personal choice. Some offer more protection than others obvs. Trade off features however you want

IMG_20190801_210106.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Full face helmets didn't exsist when i started riding so never worn anything different...never used to wear anything but a cut off and jeans in my younger days...and still may occasionally wear just a jean jacket if its really hot...but i have been lucky ...but you pays your money and takes your choice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    Yeah, that's right, so I tried to find something different "Made in England": Davida Helmets and I was lucky enough to find one for £ 319 (80533 - Black Silver Flames). :cool:

19. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    Not yet, they still sell it as an accessory. Some can be used with or without visor studs. As I have seen, even the accessories are not as cheap as one would expect, it's a true quality product.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    The one recent time I took a tumble was when wearing a full face and the chin bar blocked my view of the tarmac where my left foot was expecting to be firmly planted. Unfortunately I didn’t see that the camber in the lay-by dropped steeply away, and over I went into the ditch with my nearly new 865 Speedmaster...I’m sure if I’d been wearing my open face Shoei I would have seen and avoided the mishap... I think the issue between open & full face helmets is similar to car design. Modern cars have thick window & door pillars containing airbags etc but they obscure your vision particularly at an angle, so although safer in an accident they can actually contribute to causing accidents ... the ‘sorry mate didn’t see you’ scenario.

• Like Like x 3