Ooh Fashion!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Octoberon, Jan 10, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #1 Octoberon, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    As David Bowie once said:

"And when I get excited
    My little China Girl says
    Oh baby, just you shut your mouth"

But that's from another song and not important.

Having just caressed Renapur in to my Dainese leathers at the weekend, I got to thinking about the way fashion choices, mixed with a bit or practicality, are as important to us bikers as any other group.

So, what's your preference, leather or textiles? Is black the only colour or do you like to make brighter statement on the road? Do you finish off your look with a Sam Browne, or have you got a mirror in your house?

Personally I think they should bring back the patchwork look that was so popular in the 90's...

Octoberon - 1.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    #2 Wattie, Jan 10, 2022
    I've only ever had one leather jacket, a blue Lewis leathers jacket bought in Birmingham in 1981/2 to replace my deteriorating waxed cotton Barbour kit. When it's interior fell apart for the n'th time after being patched, textiles were in and I've used them ever since, subdued colours, where available, although my hein gericke jacket has a couple of bright red under arm patches that have now faded to pink... oohh err. Always wore normal jeans with them and had various waterproofs to try and stay dry. I bought some BMW gortex trousers in the 90's for commuting, they don't look like motorcycle kit. No padding, shaped like normal black jeans. I still use them. Then added some winter trousers with a bit of lining for warmth and last year 2021 I added some proper motorcycle rated denim jeans... I've never wanted to be seen as a biker off the bike, I like to blend in and tend to use the m'bike to get somewhere to go walking or when working to sneak into work without them knowing I rode a motorbike and that's always driven my choice. Can't do a track day because I'm sure they wouldn't let me on the track with my kit...
    I've never worn a sam browne reflective belt as I figured if they couldn't seem my motorbike, headlight, taillight, me and my crash lid, then a little bit of reflective tape wasn't going to change that...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    For anyone who is confused (about fashion, I can't help you with your other problems), here's a quick clarification.

This is a Sam Browne

[​IMG]

Whereas this as a Sam Brown.

[​IMG]

Only one of these fits snugly around your body. The other one is yellow..

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Textiles mainly for me as well. I do have a couple of brown leather jackets that I use in the summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I remember around 1998 - 2000 ish I had a fair few friends / colleagues all with the lime green or the green and purple Ninjas with the matching green or green / purple leathers. Now THAT was fashion!

I am clearly new to all this but do favour black - so far I have black riding jeans, black riding leggings, a black leather / mesh jacket for summer and a black textile jacket for cool weather. Two pairs of boots - black. The one exception is my textile / waterproof camo trousers.....but they still go with black :D.

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 18.05.44.png

• Like Like x 5
  6. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    You see, it takes a lady to know that clothing fashion is a visual medium. :D I quite like the camo for an adventure bike. If I wore them on my MV I'd probably look like I'd stolen it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I can't get rid of that giant photo - wasn't meant to be so enormous; it's almost life sized :laughing:.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I hope not. From where I'm sitting you'd be 12 inches tall. No lowering kit will help you with that inside leg. Unless... :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    I have some textiles for when the chance of rain is too high for comfort or the weather gets colder.
    In summer I like to ride in a leather jacket and motorcycle jeans. When it really gets to hot, it’s time for a mesh jacket.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    For me it's leathers on the sporty bikes and nakeds, textiles for adventure bikes and tourers. Motorcycle jeans if it's warm enough. Which it rarely is. And I haven't got any.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Leather jacket always gets priority over textile unless it's gonna be a long journey and there's a chance of rain, although I'm quite happy to stash a set of lightweight waterproofs to go over my leathers.
    In fact, being a total fashion victim, I have several leather jackets but only 3 that I regularly use. The Dianese for the sports bikes, sometimes with zip-together Dianese leather pants, but usually with black Fuel trousers (thin, flexible, removable armour in knees and hips) which look like jeans.
    On the Triumph I usually wear my black Davida jacket. You'll probably have seen Henry Cole wearing one. I recently bought a Helston dark brown Ace leather jacket (from Motolegends) simply because I liked the look of it. And either the black Fuel's or Resurgence blue jeans (again armoured).

As for a Sam Browne belt thing..no chance. Like Wattie I don't believe they make any difference. There's been a lot of research on this subject recently (read all about it in the MAG mag). The vast majority of drivers DO see motorbikes. If they didn't you wouldn't get past the first junction. And those that cause accidents do so because they misjudge speed. The few that genuinely don't see the bike wouldn't have seen it anyway, regardless of some shiny tape. But if it makes you feel safer...

Incidentally I'd be interested to hear Sandi T's view on this. My bet is she goes for leather and has a wardrobe full of jackets ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    There are some nice, retro leather jackets around these days. I think I know the one you mean that Hennry wears. I like it.

I tried a couple on at the recent bike show but the guy on the stall couldn't even be arsed to get off his phone while he was helping me and they didn't fit very well in any case. It was a bit like these...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    If I know it's going to stay dry it's my 2 piece Dainese leathers in boring black. If away for a couple of days I might pack my Frank-Thomas one piece oversuit (about 25yrs old and still more waterproof than my touring gear) in case it rains. If going on a proper tour then it's the Halvarssons textiles, also for when it's too cold for leathers (strangely no room for extra layers under my leathers in recent years).
    But in my younger days I was proper stylish... :joy:

Screenshot 2022-01-10 192630.jpg spain sprintst.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    The 'Henry Cole' jacket is plain black and quite soft leather, with no armour. The Helston Ace is more retro, with stripes down the sleeves and fully armoured but I've removed the shoulder and back sections to make it more comfortable. I may refit them when the jacket has broken in.
    My last serious crash was 4 years ago, up on the Cat & Fiddle road in Derbyshire. I was on my Honda RVF NC35. Totally my own fault and fortunately no-one else was involved. I was very glad I was wearing full leathers and everything held together and did it's job. Cost me a new helmet and gloves though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Is that you Saul ??

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #16 Octoberon, Jan 10, 2022
    It’s hard to tell where the bike stops and you start. Those are some serious leathers.

I think it’s a leather Halvarsson jacket that my mate’s got. It’s nice - I keep thinking about getting one for the summer.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Yeah, me at Cadwell Park around 96/97. Just a race school event, I was never an actual racer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I’ve been up and down the Cat and Fiddle a few times myself. Easy to get caught out in some of those bends. Shame about all the cameras now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. TheBeardedPunk

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    #19 TheBeardedPunk, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Why not upgrade to d3o ghost armor, or sas-tech lvl phantom armor. You hardly notice it’s there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. TheBeardedPunk

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    I love Halvarssons. My Wien textile jacket is the most comfortable jacket I ever owned. When I add another jacket to the wardrobe it will be another Halvarssons

• Agree Agree x 1