Featured Touring On Historical Paths

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Markus, Apr 19, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Markus
    The comforts of home! You don't happen have one of these in your other pannier case, do you, Markus!? ;)

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.46.44 AM.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Nice write up, Markus, and lovely images. Makes me happy I went down the Tiger route myself :blush:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Markus
    What a fantastic write up and the pictures are outstanding. One small question the lake with the cross planted in the water is it for any specific reason. Just fascinates me. Thanks for sharing the story it has picked me up no end.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @learningtofly: Thanks for your comment!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @joe mc donald:
    There is a legend about this cross:
    According to legend, the cross stone commemorates a horse-drawn carriage accident in the 18th century, in which all the occupants drowned.

Official information:
    The Kreuzstein is a boulder in the municipality of Mondsee in the province of Upper Austria in Austria. It is located in the shallow waters of Lake Mondsee, just a few meters from the eastern southern shore, which here forms the border with the province of Salzburg, here municipality of Sankt Gilgen, cadastral municipality of Oberburgau.

The boulder of limestone is heavily eroded, especially at its base, so that it does not rise vertically from the water, but with an overhang of about 1.9 meters. It has a diameter of 2.1 m at the top, but only 1.3 m at the base.

The boulder carries a vertically rising and about 1.8 m high Christian cross made of stone, which probably gave it its name, and next to it a smaller sloping (height about 80 cm) pagan cross of animation made of iron.

The Kreuzstein also gave its name to the district of the same name in the municipality of Sankt Gilgen (Kreuzstein fish farm on Mondsee), as well as the Kreuzstein waterfall on the Altersbach stream.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Markus
    Thanks for that and for the fantastic history. I just love things like that it intrigues me. Sad though for the peeps in the carriage. Thanks a lot.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I've looked through those images at least 5 times, now, expanded them and pored over them and STILL can't see any!

Any what?

Litter; graffiti; rusty, broken or just plain ugly 'street furniture'! Heck, there are bridges; bus stops and kiosks there that don't have even a single hint of an aerosol applied "tag"!

<ENVIED SIGH>

Great write up of a lovely trip in a beautiful country. Thank you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Adie P: Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, these aerosl-junkies also exist here in Austria. But they are, as probably all over the world, concentrated in the big cities or in social hotspots. :confused: