Old Stager And New Pretender?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Patchinko, May 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    image.jpg A mate wanted to test ride a Street Twin so at the weekend we went over to Three Cross Triumph in Dorset to take one out.

It was a fantastic spring day, perfect weather, warm sunny blue skies. And the ride through the Dorset countryside was perfect. Pity they only allowed us a half hour with the bike though. We swapped bikes for a couple of miles so he could make a comparison with my T100 SE and the Street Twin. I thought the S.T. Felt good during the short ride but was a bit cramped in the seat/foot peg relationship after the T100. Nice grunty engine and ride though.

When parked up next to one another it struck me that Triumph seems to have taken design cues from the way a lot of older T100 Bonnies have been tweeked by their owners.
    Shorter mud guards, smaller lights and indicators, all black powder coated wheels, wide flat bars, different and lower headlight mount, smaller sprocket cover, slimmer shorter seat. Shorter silencers E.T.C.

It all works out well though and the Street Twin is a nice looking bike. I'm not going to be swapping any time soon thougho_O

• Like Like x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Half an hour is a bit mean, must have been a busy day. Three Cross let us have a Bobber and a Street Cup for half a day last time I did test rides with them and Destination Triumph let me and crispey have the new Tigers for over three hours.
    At least the sun was shining! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Educate me. What’s a T100 SE?

4. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    #4 Patchinko, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    T100 Bonneville has spokes. SE has cast wheels that's how you've confused him! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    #6 Patchinko, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Ok, thanks Steve my mistake, I'm easily confused , but whats this then?
    http://www.n2nbikes.com/motor/triumph-bonneville-t100-se-2011.html

Or is this an actual T100 se
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/triu/triumph_bonneville T100 SE 15.htm

And is this actually a Bonneville se...
    https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2011models/2011-Triumph-BonnevilleSE

And does it really matter?:confused:

7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    No not really! :cool:
    The last example you show is actually identical to my bike (well it was when I bought it) - a genuine SE.
    The middle one is definitely a T100 with spokes, larger diameter front wheel, different mudguards, exhausts etc. - as far as I know there may have been limited editions of these but I don't think they ever got badged as an SE as well.
    The first one is a cast wheel SE - shouldn't really be referred to as a T100. It's one or the other :D:D

8. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    Well at least I've been educated today:rolleyes:.

I gotta admit I thought all the air cooled bonnies were T100's.

Triumph seem to drop the SE tag (and several hundred £) onto any thing with a bit of fancy paint and plastic badges.

Any how, back to the plot, it's good to see the new models moving with the times, but keeping the faith.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar