Oil Seals Hardening

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by feckless, Apr 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Once an oil seal has been fitted in an engine. If the engine is never used will the rubber still harden.
    My thought are yes as most polymers age harden over time, i realise uv light will not come into play once fitted.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    An oddity of oil seals is their need for lubrication because they utilise a tiny film of oil between shaft and seal to prevent the seal burring and tearing. Age hardening can be less of a problem than the damage caused to a seal that has dried out. We used to use it (along with ‘suspension wind up’) as an excuse to bounce 6 wheeler Stalwarts over rough ground. Idleness, as with hydraulics, was the enemy of good functioning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I would say it completely down to the seal material they use various combinations of both material and ways of providing tension to the knife edge of the seal for example i have seen 60 year old seals that are fine yet others that have been fitted to a damaged shaft that you couldn't see with the naked eye fail in a few hours, a lot of crankcase seals simply fail because of pressurization for the wrong side, some of my Trident seals are 40 years old but are still fine.

• Like Like x 2