Oil Leak - 2001 Speed Triple 955i

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alex Trigg, Sep 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alex Trigg

Alex Trigg New Member

Aug 30, 2021
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Hi Guys,

I recently bought a little used 2001 Speed Triple 955i. I did a few minor jobs and got it through MOT test.

Took it out today for a 55 mile run and when I stopped there is/was an oil leak.

I've investigated and oil is trickling down the back of the engine immediately in front of the swinging/rear arm. I'm guessing it is coming from the crankcase joint (I cannot see the joint because of the swinging arm).

Is this a common fault?

Could it be something simpler that I am overlooking or is it an engine out job?

Thanks

BSR67

2. Alex Trigg

Alex Trigg New Member

Aug 30, 2021
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Sorry - in my haste ...

It's a breather pipe that is discharging oil onto the back of the engine. And, it's that running down the back.

The breather pipe clearly isn't long enough. Where is it from? Cylinder head?

Is it an issue?

Thanks

BSR67

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    There will be two breather tubes that deal with oil (oil vapours actually) one is from the valve cover above the cylinder head into the airbox and the other is a drain from the airbox out to the side of the engine somewhere near the left footrest. I’d guess it’s the drain tube that’s dripping a bit of oil and it means the airbox needs a clean inside, and possibly the breather/ oil separator in the valve cover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alex Trigg

Alex Trigg New Member

Aug 30, 2021
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Thanks Yorkshireman

I'll investigate soon.

A couple of things come to mind:

1. The bike has had little use on the past two years - and the run out to Squires was a 'spirited ride' at the hands of both myself and my 25 year old lad.

2. I parked it as Squires on upper sloping parking area on the side stand with the bike tipped over more than usual. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the oil gets into the wrong places if left leaning to the left too far (if that makes sense).

It wasn't leaking before the run out to Squires.

I'll fully investigate/clean everything up next week and report.

Thanks

BSR67

• Useful Useful x 1