Oil Condition After 1300 Miles

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hyper George, Feb 17, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hyper George

Hyper George New Member

Feb 17, 2021
    Linz, Austria
    Hi all,

I am about to buy a Trimph Tiger 800 (2014) but I am a bit concerned about the engine oil. The bike has done all the services according to the manual and at official Triumph mechanic. I took the bike for a ride and everything looked fine. However, when I looked a the sight glass on the right side of the bike, the oil looked dark brown, definetly NOT amber and the viscosity was rather low. The oil has just 1300 miles but I am not sure if it's semi-synthetic or full synthetic. Anyway, my previous experince was with a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and as I nver had such oils even after 10.000 km.

Is this quite common for Tiger or should I be cautious with the purchase?
    If it's common, then it's because of the position of the air filter (getting dusty) and the fact that Tiger's run quite hot engines?

Looking forward for any replies!

Many thanks and greetings from Austria,

George

2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Welcome, Bienvenue.

Should be usual semi-synthetic oil.
    Some get darker than others. Don't know about the tiger but I wouldn't worried too much.

3. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I wouldn't worry too much either. For peace of mind though, new oil and a filter are relatively cheap :)

• Agree Agree x 2