Oh Dear

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pommie Tom, Apr 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pommie Tom

Pommie Tom New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Nsw australia
    being new to joining groups such as this I am continually surprised at what I read I really don't want to offend any of you ladies but what's all this ear plugs Kevlar body armour gps blue tooth sh&$ am I really that unhip I like to ride for comfort and pleasure hearing my t100 growl and love shooting between the traffic at lights even (god forbid) testing the bike on the twisties and giving it to her on the straightsOr is just that there is a large number of Ulysses members trawling the bike world hopeing to hear some honest replies THANKS YAWL

2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Now i know why they call Australia the Out Back :p:D:D:bomb:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am with you...up to a point. I long ago went through a hedge and my Levi’s at night having hit gravel on a tight bend. Much as I enjoyed the firework display that seemed to be in slo mo it taught me the value of basic protection.
    So, no ear plugs but kevlar jeans or leather unless pootling and a wee clock on the bars because my watch is buried but resolutely no other gadgets or gizmos. If I fall off again I might consider ABS but only if it is a factor in the dismount!

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #4 crispey, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Not everyone rides solely for pleasure, I use a satnav as I use the bike to go to work, which isn’t any one place but loads of different locations and also for delivering blood at night around london and the Home Counties, I’m not sure how old you are but my eyesight is pants and if it’s peeing down with rain, freezing cold it’s a bit of a faff to stop, take your gloves off, open your jacket, get your reading glasses out, get the map out, get off the bike, get under a street lamp hopefully under cover, find where you’re trying to get to, fold up the soggy map, put it away, put your glasses away, zip up your jacket, put your gloves on, get back on your bike, then wonder why you stopped,( don’t forget old fart!,) remember it was to look at the map then repeat all the above!! That compared to a tinny voice saying “ turn left at the next junction “and “you have reached your destination” is really a no brainier for me.
    If you ask me why I use ear plugs I’d reply “pardon?”
    Also useful for clearing out earwax.
    Protective trousers? Well it gets wet and cold here and waterproof and warmth seems to come with protection.
    This is only my outlook on it, others might have a different opinion.
    Oh, and I wear a decent crash helmet, how ridiculous is that?
    When I ride for pleasure I usually have the same gear too, so maybe I haven’t answered your question.:);)

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    How can wearing Body Armour be a bad thing???

6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I ride for pleasure but I use a sat nav.
    If I’m going somewhere I haven’t been before it’s handy.
    Body armour and ear plugs are a no brainer.
    But this sounds like a windup to me. Pommie Tom suggests Australia but Yawl suggests some one is American rather than Australian. Then again no Australian would describe himself as a pommie as it’s seen as a slightly insulting nick name for a Brit ........
    Sorry this doesn’t ring true to me

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I'm not sure if you've had a proper welcome - so welcome to the forum! I hope Gary M isn't right, but I'm going to lay out the following anyway. I think you've gotten a sample of reasons about why people do, or don't gear-up. I've ridden and owned several bikes of all styles for 50 years. Currently I'm on a sidecar rig (hack) because my legs just don't cooperate sometimes.

Since the beginning, I've geared-up to different levels to provide a reasonable margin of safety considering 1) where I ride (city, highway, twisties, desert, mountains), 2) what I ride (cruiser, cafe, etc.), 3) when I ride (night, day, freezing weather, burning heat, rain, potential for fast weather changes), 4) what I know about the roads (will there be sand on the turns, or chickens and dogs running around), 5) who I'm riding with (it's easier to control testosterone when you're alone), and most importantly, 6) how I intend to ride when I leave the house.

Sometimes, I just know when I walk out the door that I'm going to do the ton+ as soon as I hit the road and risk my license. Other times, I'm a lot more mellow and I don't gear up. When I intend to ride hard, or in what I think are 'dangerous' conditions, it's good boots, heavy jeans, a leather coat with armor, good gloves, and a full face or modular helmet. When I'm on my hack, it's an open face helmet, goggles, t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and sometimes gloves. I truly hate all forms of electronics because I like to explore and enjoy where I am. But I do have a Zumo in the trunk of the sidecar and I generally have a cell phone with me in case I'm lost and I have to make a fast trip home for an emergency.

Some of us have had friends die on bikes and seen the aftermath (70 mph, hit a pot hole, collapse the forks, skid for 100 yds, on your face, die). Some of us have been banged up pretty bad through the years with broken bones and road rash. We laugh about it, but it hurts like hell. Some of us have been very lucky and only had minor, or no accidents. Given all of the factors above, I truly believe the next accident is all about luck and not so much skill. There are too many things out there that can hurt you. You don't control them all. If you're really good, you usually 'skate' through a few potential incidents until your luck runs out. It makes sense to me to take 'reasonable' precautions to avoid the hospital.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    No offence taken. Now grow up. No offence intended.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    My thoughts too , not sure if that’s the OP intention but it comes across as a wind up rather than a genuine question.
    Wear what you want at the end of the day, but if you lose your hearing due to failing to wear ear plugs , come off and suffer road rash or worse due to lack of reducing those risks we all share, because of lack of adequate preventative measures.
    Dont come complaining about it on here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but YAWN

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    It’s fun ;) As you’re hungry here’s a roll and sausage with black pudding. Help yourself to the Irn Bru :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    It is true, we have the photos!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Just thought I'd let you know I like to stay safe so I wear a condom when I ride my bike and nothing else.
    And yes it is a BLACK One
    :p: unamused:: unamused:
    Tucker _20180309_141609.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Ribbed :neutral::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Yes and flavoured:p: unamused:Tucker

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #16 Sprinter, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018

I have only had one bike with ABS, I find it intrusive, ( by defination, although intrusive none the less).

17. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    For me above all else "biking" is an INDIVIDUAL hobby, so I'm quite happy for you to ride around on your T100 with no protection etc.
    Personally I am quite attached to my skin and hearing, I'd prefer to keep both. And I quite like to get where I intended without endlessly stopping to check a map.

Just keep an eye out for those rues and utes or you might be wishing you'd donned the Kevlar.
    No offence mate.:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    As I've ridden with you Tony I can attest it ain't a pretty sight, but very liberating nonetheless.

19. Pommie Tom

Pommie Tom New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Nsw australia
    Most of my ridding is highway normal average speed around 110 to 140 that's klms

20. Pommie Tom

Pommie Tom New Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Nsw australia
    I started this thread not as a troll but for a bit of fun and banter (it can get lonely out hear in the sticks with no one but me mate Jim ( beam ) for company oh and I write like I ride no time for punctuation or full stops Have a great day YAWL

• Like Like x 2