Oem Heated Grips Shorting Fuse

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jeffrey Scheiwiller, Apr 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeffrey Scheiwiller

Jeffrey Scheiwiller New Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Earth
    I have a 2012 Tiger 800 with heated grips. While moving the bike recently, I stumbled slightly and it got away from me some, hitting the ground with a bump on the throttle side bar end. It was then I noticed the heated grips no longer worked and that the fuse was blown.

I started taking the throttle apart and noticed that the brown and black wire were crushed. They had gotten pinched between the bar and and the hand grip mount, and the bare wires were mushed into each other. Figured that was it, disconnected it from the harness, and as I recall, the other side worked fine and didn't blow the fuse. So, I ordered a replacement.

The replacement arrived today and I connected it to the harness. When I turned the key, it shorted again. I then discovered that it shorted no matter which grip I had plugged in. The only time it wouldn't short is when neither were connected at the harness. Is there something I'm missing? Thank you in advance.