Featured novice summary of my track day - Brands Hatch 10/4/17

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Yaya rider, Apr 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Not sure if anyone is really fussed about track day updates, but I thought I'd sling it on.

I'm still a novice rider, but really enjoy track days to help get my confidence up. I've got an old Honda CBR600 steelie which is perfect for throwing around a track. My dad joined me on his 98 Blade.

Only the 3rd track day i've done, and first at brands. Quite happy with the fact i was getting towards the edge on my tyres. By the end I clocked a pedestrian personal best of 1:13 (although that was 8 seconds quicker than my first session's best!), and my old man clocked a 1:07. I think it will be his last time in the Novice group!

I've included a few pics below, as well as an on board vid with my dad. He follows me for a couple of bends, I overtake a Repsol blade, and then he blasts off for some 'spirited' riding (he's 62 and was the fastest in the group, beating track only bikes all day long!)

I'll defo be going back to brands this summer if anyone was interested, as it's nice and close for me, and is all about the corners, which is where I want to continue to improve. Started to work the edges of tyres, which was a big step forward for me.

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i put this video up a while back,well worth watching,,the first twist of the wrist book is more for racing and track days it's a bit heavy going but might be worth getting a hold of a copy,the 2nd book that this video is based on is much easier to understand

3. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    was having a look at the original thread i put this in,and you saw it there already:oops: If you can't find the book twist of the wrist 1 i have a copy you can have,but like i said it gets pretty technical so you might have to read it a few times..i know i had too!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Yea I really liked the video, watched twice since you posted. Will keep an eye out for a copy of the book. I've got a copy of Roadkraft, which goes into similar detail. Was really trying to focus on smooth acceleration, and keeping it smooth in the bends with 30% throttle. Defo plenty for me to work, I just prefer to test my limits on track, I see improvement much quicker that way.

I paid for a tuition session, the guy said I needed to focus on getting lower on the bike, to help reduce the centre of gravity. Said I was plenty quick enough coming out of clear ways, which is a pretty quick entry corner, but I'm defo lacking confidence tipping it in to lower speed ones.

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It's great that you are enjoying going on track days with your dad,my mate has done a few track days with his son,he also comes out runs with us sometimes, he says he talks much more to his old man now since he got himself a bike!

6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Great vid, you clearly had a good ride and was faster than most. I liked your lines too, you only had to go wide when passing slower riders. Plus, good idea taping over the speedo, I did that on my first track day too, it's too distracting if you leave it clear.

• Like Like x 1