Not The Highway Code. Real Tips And Observations.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sprinter, Dec 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I remembered today that last year, at this time, the stretch of road I was driving along had to be closed in the snow. When I spoke to the policeman on duty he said " Its not the snow its the drivers panicking.
    So here's my first one. Anyone else got one?

If your driving in difficult conditions and having problems, pullover, it may not be all the fault of the conditions,. You may be the least experienced one there. Let some one else have a go at the front, they may have a more suitable car or special skills.
    Don't assume, cos you cant make it, that no one else can.

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    There goes the male ego

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Said " Neil"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Moreover, pull over and realise there are some skills you still need to learn as a driver.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The duty policeman was absolutely right. The A57 Snake Pass not far from us was closed today, as was the A537 Cat and Fiddle with maybe 2-3" of snow. When I first started driving in the late 70's it took really heavy snowfall for roads to be closed. Nowadays, not only is there several times more traffic on the roads but many drivers are neither prepared or have the experience of driving in such conditions. I've owned 4wd vehicles for the last 30 years which certainly helps but it's certainly no guarantee of trouble free progress but many think it is and come to grief. It's just far easier and safer for both motorists and the rescue services to close roads, maybe prematurely, than have to go out and rescue the occupants of stranded vehicles or pick up the pieces. My first 4x4 was a Suzuki SJ413 with aggressive tyres and very capable. When we had heavy snowfall I would go out "to play" and never got stranded. My current Toyota will go just about anywhere but nowadays, when the snow comes I stay at home.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I’d just add, if it’s safe to do so, before reaching the hazard and in a place where you won’t cause an obstruction, ie halfway up a hill causing others to lose traction!
    I shall do up the top button of my cardigan now

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    With farmers equipped with front loaders and every second pick-up has a plow, most roads our here are cleared by the county or concerned citizens (that have to get to work). No doubt, if you don't feel comfortable sliding about, stay home. The only road I saw closed was during the blizzard year before last. A section of a east-west country road that descended in to a shallow valley. The snow had blow across to the point it was impossible to distinguish between road, ditch or anything. Blocked with a single barricade and flashing light. Came back that way after work to a cut of about 1.5 meter snow wall on either side. Image below is normal drive to work after overnight snows... Yeah, I was at work on time.

IMG_3812.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Not a tip but a valid observation. After 30 odd winters of getting up and scraping frost off of my windscreen at 06.30 every frosty day, I now have a new favourite winter sound. It is other people doing their scraping whilst I lay in bed with a cuppa. :cold_sweat::zzz:

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Here's another I found. Be aware that on a twisty road where you can see cars coming in the dark, that what you think is 3 cars in a line coming towards you, may, in fact be two cars in a line and one overtaking!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Working from home I love that sound too! :joy:

11. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    No need to scrape anymore, just buy a decent car like an 18 year old Focus with its heated front screen. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    One on the problems may not be the drivers lack of experience or confidence,it may be down to the fact that lots of cars on the road today are fitted with inappropriate tyres for wintry conditions eg low profile tyres.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    As an ex HGV artic driver one of the things my old tutor taught me was look to where the road sides meet each other. The faster they meet the tighter the corner . It stood me well not only driving HGV but my bikes too.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    No one ever leaves a lorry/coach sized hole at a roundabout.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Roundabouts have a tempo, going onto one too fast or too slow sends ripples through for a short while afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  16. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Had an arse-tightener this morning, sheet ice at the end of a t-junction onto a main road, on the way back there was 2 cars in the hedge at the same spot. Modern cars are pretty shite in slippy stuff. Had a wee civic many years ago equipped with wheelbarrow wheels, brilliant in snow and ice!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Tires/tyres make all the difference. You can have the greatest SUV in the world with every traction assist feature available, if you’ve got crap tires you’re not going anywhere except into the ditch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    I believe part of the trouble to be muppets buying a SUV or 4x4 as a status trophy, after having believed the aspirational lifestyle vehicle adverts that make them think they're invincible and can conquer any conditions thrown at them.

Oldfart

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    If you are inside a lorry on a roundabout you should not be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Agree 100%